Thread: Picks

Question Picks

I’ve used the golden gate for years, but decided I wanted a sharper attack. I bought a pile of different picks, including a Blue Chip (didn’t love it). The Dunlop Jazz III is the one I like best, soundwise.

However, I hate the tiny little teardrop. When I’m playing fast songs, the point keeps spinning out of position. I tried the larger version (shaped like a regular guitar pick) but it’s only a slight improvement.

I bought a purple Dunlop 1.14mm (I think) triangular, and it’s easiest for playing, but has more bevel than the Jazz III, which gives it a smoother sound.

Does anyone know of a compromise, I can find? I need something large-ish and triangular, with very little bevel.

Thanks!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Picks

Give a Wegan TF 1.20 or 1.40 lot of folks here on the Café rave about the Primetone picks...... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I prefer the Dunlop Gator Grip 2.00mm black, seems to be the best price/performance/shape compromise for me.

I have found the Lager V-Picks to be pretty great. They have a different attack to the strings. They tend to be a little bit brighter with the larger picks, but a reasonable option to give a try, all the same.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Paul - Have a look at the variety of Dunlop ''Primetone'' picks. They come in a number of different shapes / thicknesses, & in 2 types - smooth & 'grippy'. I use the 'teardrop' shaped 'grippy' ones at 1.5mm thick. They sound a tad brighter than the equivalent 'smooth' picks. I wouldn't call them small either. I have large hands & 'small' doesn't do it for me,but i have no trouble holding these,
    Ivan

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/p...s/primetone.do
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have Wegen picks, Primestone picks, Dunlop picks, and a variety of others, somehow, I always seem to drift back to my Blue Chip pick.

7. The following members say thank you to peterleyenaar for this post:

Paul, I use Monster Grips on my picks that tend to slip. Just one on one side makes the difference. They're small, so would probably fit on your Dunlop Jazz picks.

Jack

https://www.monstergrips.com/

Thanks so much, guys. Of course, I was hoping for a consensus of "Yep, you definitely need THIS pick", but you've given me some more to investigate. :-)

Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm rounded triangle. My favorite mandolin pick. Fender 346 Extra heavy in white is a decent second choice. Yes, the white sounds better than any other color. 😉

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Broyles for this post:

Could you glue the little tiny pick you like to a larger pick so that you can hold onto it better?

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulspafford View Post
    Thanks so much, guys. Of course, I was hoping for a consensus of "Yep, you definitely need THIS pick", but you've given me some more to investigate. :-)
    A consensus? hahahahahahaha.

(the best part of this site is that there's NEVER a consensus, except that mandolins are greet.)
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I have no idea whether the Jazz III is similar but I've been using the Dunlop Jazztone 207. Upsides are:

1 - the tip is more rounded - I would imagine it's about 1/2 way between your old pick and new one
    2 - they are very inexpensive to try out
    3 - warm tone but still has good attack
    4 - they look cool

Cons:

1 - still a tiny little teardrop but it doesn't rotate on me

Quote Originally Posted by paulspafford View Post
    The Dunlop Jazz III is the one I like best, soundwise.
    Which Dunlop Jazz III did you buy? They come in different materials.I would think there would be, for instance, a big difference between the Ultex and the Nylon versions. And there are others.

My main picks are BCs for the tone and for the durability esp for rhythm guitar. But I also love the sound I get for Ultex and used to primarily use the Dunlop triangles.

No one can tell you what to buy. I still like to switch around to other picks and even other shapes and thicknesses depending on what I am playing, instrument or genre.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Jim, I've been using the Stiffo ones. They sound fantastic, and a little bit mean.

dadsaster, I'll try the Jazztone. At this point, why not add a few more picks to my library, eh?

I amused myself about 2 months ago and went and ordered 5 different kinds of picks, the only thing I knew for sure is I like Blue Chips best overall, but there are other kinds of picks that sound good on an individual guitar or mandolin. So I ordered different materials and gauges, and played when they came. It's not a really expensive experiment, you may want to try something like that. I would offer you my rejects, but a 1mm is as thick as I bought (I prefer thinner picks)

I've tried many different brands of picks and thicknesses . Still prefer a BC to all the rest !

And Jim Broyles is the winner! The Ultex 1.14 rounded triangle is the beast for me. Nice punchy sound: Those strings know they’ve been picked, and picked hard.

Thanks, y’all.

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, Paul, but did you know that these are available?

I only thought there was one kind of Golden Gate. Hadn't come across those others in my investigations. I think I have my new weapon of choice now, but thanks for chiming in!

Blog Entries

No reason to settle for one pick. Different mandolins, different venues, different situations, all may be optimized with different picks.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    No reason to settle for one pick. Different mandolins, different venues, different situations, all may be optimized with different picks.
    You're messing with my world view, Jeff!

I just tried the dunlop stubby triangle 2mm They were 70cents each at a guitar shop so i figure why not try them. I'm pretty happy with the purchase and they are my current pick of choice