Thread: Fern on the Auction Site

Default Fern on the Auction Site

What do you make of this offering?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Like-New-Au...n/163374001054

The description seems somewhat odd. But that serial number on the label? Probably just paranoia on my part...nfi

Tim

Default Re: Fern on the Auction Site

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Ear View Post
    What do you make of this offering?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Like-New-Au...n/163374001054

The description seems somewhat odd. But that serial number on the label? Probably just paranoia on my part...nfi

Tim
    I passed on that about 7 months ago for that reason.. Serial numbers are important.. and Not ones that have been modified.

The serial number matches the written date and that is most definitely Danny Roberts signature. It's not a fake in any way.
    Molon Labe

Thanks for the reassurance Molon. I was concerned that it was also the first listing for this seller, who didn't seem to know too much about the item he was selling. And the lighting was different for the label that showed Danny's signature vs the one with the SN.

Guess I just need to get more comfortable with the idea of buying something like that sight unseen.
    Yes dear, it's an immature waste of both time & money
    Gibson F5 Custom
    Kentucky 900
    Kentucky 1050

Blog Entries

Is the serial number and the FON available somewhere?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP-GDLF5 View Post
    The serial number matches the written date and that is most definitely Danny Roberts signature. It's not a fake in any way.
    Do you think that Gibson sent the instrument from the factory with these weird corrections on the serial number????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fern-mod ser num.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	172686
    Last edited by Phil Goodson; Nov-16-2018 at 8:25am. Reason: add pic
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Can’t find where but wasn’t this altered serial number discussed at some length on here a while ago?

I would not touch that with a 10 foot pole. Labels are hard to get a good photo in my experience. Danny Roberts signed the mandolin Jan 28, 2005. The 0128 in the serial number would be correct. Someone changed the first number from a 5 to a 4, and the 5 would be correct. The last number 0 is correct to make the 05 (2005). But someone changed the next to the last number to a 4, that would have been the number of mandolin that was finished/labeled that day. So if you could get someone from Gibson to look at the records it would not be hard to find the correct serial number. I would never buy a $6200 instrument off ebay with a modified serial number and 0 feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Can’t find where but wasn’t this altered serial number discussed at some length on here a while ago?
    Yes, it is the same mandolin discussed here two years ago. The OP back then was a new member who said his father bought it for him when he was 8 years old and he needed to sell it, but didn't know what it was worth. He was (mistakenly) calling it an F9 on that thread. I believe Danny Roberts said it wasn't unusual in January for him to continue writing the previous year on labels, then correcting them later -- but you would think they would just use a new label for the corrections, wouldn't you? At any rate, it doesn't make it any easier to sell, IMHO, but still a nice mandolin. The current seller seems equally vague with details and has zero feedback.....
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Nov-16-2018 at 11:54am.

10. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Ray(T)