Thread: Help with finish recommendations

Default Help with finish recommendations

I'm still working on my first-ever instrument, an F5. There is a long way to go on the construction and assembly. But every step further I take in the process brings me one step closer to needing to tackle finishing. I'd like to ask for input and suggestions on the type of finish and best application for the end result that I'm going for.

Since this is my first instrument, I did not use high-quality materials. I used spruce and hard maple that I procured at a reputable lumberyard. They're not trash pieces; it's good wood. But it's also not the absolute best.

My ideal finish will be more matte than glossy. I do not care for the ultra-high sheen or very shiny finishes (but that's just me). And I would like to achieve more of a red tone to the overall finish itself, with the edges being more dark, almost black yet still retaining the red tone.

I welcome any suggestions on kind of finish to use, how to achieve the color tone that I am aiming for, any suggestions on how to apply the finish, etc.

Thanks very much for your help.

Default Re: Help with finish recommendations

Lots of variables here, so I'll just suggest that you make about half a dozen test strips of spruce, .25x2"x6". You can use these 12 surfaces to experiment with color, application process and shading. Choose the best test and apply your chosen finish in exactly the same manner.

good luck
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

Like Bill said, practice first and record your procedure. As a complete hobbyist, I'm a fan of non-toxic, hand-applied finishes. That applies to both color and coating.

I've spent a lot of time practicing sunburst / color fades, and I haven't even tried it on an instrument (yet). I use the trans-tint / stew-mac dyes, and I've mixed them with both water and alcohol with success.

I have no interest in investing in spray equipment, so a wipe-on finish is it for me. I finished a ukulele in wipe-on poly, very thin coats. I'm currently finishing a dreadnought in Royal-Lac, which I'm padding on. They're both lovely, and both of these can be buffed (or "un-buffed?") to a satin sheen.

Try French polishing a small flat board to see if the ritual suits you. If not, you can easily buy a few aerosol cans of lacquer -- shouldn't take much to do an F5!

I have quite a lot of experience with nitro laquer from ReRanch spray cans. I've done many solid body guitars with this, and you can get satin clear coat.

That said, when I needed to decide for my first build, I took a chance on a product called Royal Lac, a modernized version of shellac. I whipped on the sealer coats and two clear coats, and after sanding smooth, French polished the top coats. Came out great with that shiny but not too shiny shellac look.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I have quite a lot of experience with nitro laquer from ReRanch spray cans. I've done many solid body guitars with this, and you can get satin clear coat.

That said, when I needed to decide for my first build, I took a chance on a product called Royal Lac, a modernized version of shellac. I whipped on the sealer coats and two clear coats, and after sanding smooth, French polished the top coats. Came out great with that shiny but not too shiny shellac look.
    Curious how many top coats you did? I wiped/brushed on a few coats of Seal-Lac, and I had a hard time avoiding drips and runs. It took a lot of level-sanding before I started on the Royal Lac. I tried just wiping on the RL but had the same issues so I switched to French polishing it with much more satisfying results.

That said, I don’t know how much body I need and I don’t really have a good way to measure the thickness.

I think I wiped two coats of Seal Lac on with a cotton tee shirt square. Very light coats applied then sanded. I might have done another light coat to cover any bare spots.

Then I did the same with Royal Lac. Had no problem. Very light coats. Sanded flat with 600 grit. Lost count of the french polish coats. Must have been six before I sanded with 800 then 1200 grit, then french polished another three or four coats.

I let it dry a month and wet sanded to 1200 grit. That was as glossy as I wanted it, so polished it with swirl remover, McGuires I think. I really enjoyed the final french polish thinned cut shellac. Finished the neck very lightly because I don't like a lot of finish on a neck.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post: