Thread: Mandolin by "ELMO"

Exclamation Mandolin by "ELMO"

(Apologies for the long story but it's needed to explain what I'm searching for)

Elmo Macdonald and my grandfather were very good friends. So good that my grandfather asked him to handcraft him two Mandolins so that he could play and pass down through the family.

Well after my grandfather passed away the two mandolins were taken and sold without my knowledge when the instruments were supposed to be returned to me. I know this is a long shot but just looking to make sure they're in a good home. These insturments were my grandfathers love and joy. I was named after one of them. So if you have seen these or know someone who recently purchased a Mandolin made by ELMO from Fredericton New Brunswick can you please tell them to contact me on possibly getting them back? Thanks. Here's a pic of one of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2079.JPG 
Views:	516 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	172636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2079.JPG 
Views:	516 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	172636

Default Re: Mandolin by "ELMO"

Wow, that is a cool look in a mandolin! Seems very unique in design. I hope you can be reunited with one or both! Happy pickin and good luck.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Sweet.

(By the title I thought this thread was about a mandolin playing muppet.)
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

that's pretty distinctive. keep us apprised of how the search goes!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Here are other threads with the name Elmo mandolin in them: Elmo mandolin.

I also found that Elmo passed away in 2016. Here is his obituary.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Nov-21-2018 at 5:14pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

He had a good service and many family was able to attend the funeral. Still sad though.

Very distinctive looking mandolin—can you post a couple of clearer pictures, including a closeup of the peghead please? Those are very unusual features of an A-style mandolin, it appears there is a scroll on the peghead and one or two on the body, or is it sitting on something that makes it look like that?

A couple of suggestions: 1. Watch kijiji, buy and sell/musical instruments, keyword mandolin, separate searches for NB and NS, maybe PEI as well. I just did this, nothing appears today. You only get 20-25 hits in each province for mandolins, so just bookmark the searches and check every week or so.
    2. Get in touch with Halifax Folklore Centre, that’s almost certainly the most likely place they might eventually turn up, and Tom has been in business since 71 and probably knew Elmo.
    3. I’m always keeping an eye out for cool mandolins in the Maritimes, if you send me a PM with your contact info I will let you know if I ever run across these nifty pieces. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here are other threads with the name Elmo mandolin in them: Elmo mandolin.
    Looks like this link did not work. Gere are a couple of threads with photos of other Elmo mandolins.

My New Mandolin

2009 Elmo F-Style
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have Elmo Nbr 11 made in 1977. It is an A model and is very elegant in it's workmanship although not terribly ornate. The headstock, fretboard, pickguard and tailpiece are very similar to your picture. I purchased it in 1988 from an elderly gentleman in Montreal who ran a mandolin orchestra. I don't know if he was the original owner. Pics att'd

Name:  PXL_20230602_175645818.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  694.2 KB

Name:  PXL_20230602_173200862.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  453.4 KB
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jun-08-2023 at 6:04pm. Reason: changing the layout a bit for easier viewing

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillyV For This Useful Post:

From the Forum Posting Guidelines:

- Refrain from using the forum as a market place, ie., a resource for selling, purchasing or trading. Please limit selling, buying and trading activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

My mistake. I've created a post in the classified section. I'm just excited that others have knowledge of these Elmo mandolins!

Quote Originally Posted by danesbitt View Post
    My mistake. I've created a post in the classified section. I'm just excited that others have knowledge of these Elmo mandolins!
    I am curious but I don’t see any listing for your Elmo mandolin in the classifieds. Can you send me a link via PM?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I am curious but I don’t see any listing for your Elmo mandolin in the classifieds. Can you send me a link via PM?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I see it now. Maybe it takes a little time for the ad to appear?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I've made a couple of walk-through videos of the 1977 #12 Elmo MacDonald mandolin for anyone who may be interested:

General Overview:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ch0...usp=drive_link

Additional details on neck and top:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgZ...usp=drive_link

I've made a couple of walk-through videos of the 1977 #12 Elmo MacDonald mandolin for anyone who may be interested:

General Overview:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ch0...usp=drive_link

Additional details on neck and top:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgZ...usp=drive_link

May be different for others, but I get an "access denied" message when I try to view the Google Drive files. Asking price would be a handy thing to include in your ad as well.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by manjitsu View Post
    May be different for others, but I get an "access denied" message when I try to view the Google Drive files. Asking price would be a handy thing to include in your ad as well.

-Chris
    I've updated the sharing preferences. Hopefully the videos work now. I've also included a price in the classified.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. It really has been given a long leash but is in violation of our Posting Guidelines.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber