Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best string/mandolin match-ups?

Default Best string/mandolin match-ups?

I find that my instruments seem to sing much better with certain sets of strings. For example, a lot of us Pava owners like to pair them up with GHS A270s. Match made in heaven! And my gypsy jazz guitar sounds 10x better with Argentines on.

Has anyone else had that kind of experience with their mandolins?

Also, I'm currently on the hunt for the perfect strings for my Collings MTO, if anyone has any recommendations.
    I've lost my sheep

Default Re: Best string/mandolin match-ups?

My issue with strings is I either like them or not, meaning on a particular mandolin if I tried three sets, and they all sound good, my auditory memory could not tell me which I like the best. I know I don't like stainless steel , but give me three sets of phosphor bronze and by the time I get to the third set, I can't remember the first. Never mind that I'm replacing old strings with new, hence I buy J74s that sound good on everything but my beater, which gets silk and steel.

Now if a builder said to use a certain string, I'd pay attention.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

On my A2 I think J74s just sound best. And on my Stiver, I have heard it was designed with J75 in mind, and it sure sounds good with them.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I thought it was only my Weber that sounded good with A270s... then I put I a set on my beater (the) Loar and I liked them on that too. Maybe I just really like A270s.

Also, my flat top sounds best with GHS A250s. So perhaps, maybe I just like GHS P/B right now.

However, I just ordered a set of Silk and Steel to try (on probably the Weber) and see if I like them.

I love the feel and tone of the daddario flat tops, but there is only one set made with flat tops by all makers! I wish there were other options. I also like the GHS silk n bronze, but again there is only one maker making one set to try with silk in the core(GHS silk n steels sound dead on my mandos). There are seemingly hundreds of violin string options to explore. Our segment of the string economy must be minimal in contrast to more popular instruments. I feel sad for the harp guitar players.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Try the GHS pure nickel, I have a couple that like those strings a lot. More even in duration, they sound like you when you put them on for a couple months, unlike phosphor bronze that die quickly. I am not sure how they compare to monel, GHS thought the early strings were pure nickel so they went that way instead of the monel strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Ellis Oval - GHS A270
    Girouard Oval - EXP74
    Gibson A1 - Newtone roundcore (same gauges as J74s).

That's what's working for me at the moment. I wish they all liked the same strings; would save me a fortune!

Weber "Fern" = EJ74's = excellent (GHS A270's sound crap). Ellis = GHS A270's = superb (DR MD11s sounded good on it as well. EJ74's sound ok,but a tad dull). Lebeda = DR MD11s = superb (EJ74s sound underpowered),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

For me it's been a long (and ongoing) journey to figure out how to get the best tone out of my instruments.

Strings, pick, action height, and technique seem to be what matter most. Almost certain that what works for me isn't a generic matchup for others.

I put GHS A240's (ultra light .009's) on everything for my tired old hands, and fiddle with everything else until I get a good sound out of it, so far that has worked well for me.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Blog Entries

Love D'Addario Monels (11-40) on my Collings MT, while good ol' J74's suit me on the Flatiron Festival. I use Martin bronze 10-34's on my Gibson A's to reduce tension and they have a sweet tone.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

I don't have a high-dollar mandolin, and I haven't tried most strings by any means, but the D'addario Monel set sounds great on my Eastman 515. They record very well, sound powerful live, and seem to have a good lifespan.

I've used J74, J75, Elixirs, flatwound... they all sound good, but unless my next change to GHS is revelatory, I'm thinking Monel is it for a while!

12. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I use Martin bronze 10-34's on my Gibson A's to reduce tension and they have a sweet tone.
    I like those too! They do have a sweet tone plus I can find them for under 5 bucks!

14. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I'm gonna have to try out these Monels and Martin Bronze strings
    I've lost my sheep

16. The following members say thank you to Kroland for this post:

Every mandolin has certain strings it likes, if you have custody of it it is your job to find them

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

I like D'Addario EFW-74 (flat wounds) on my Gibson A-1. I also use them on my 1923 B&D tenor banjo. I usually circle back to D'Addario EXP-74 for everything else. I'm still trying different sets though.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

20. The following members say thank you to Pete Braccio for this post:

Eastman MD404 (Oval-hole) and Pyramid Gold flatwounds.. sounds good and dark/warm. Just the tone I like.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

22. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what strings sound best on a Collings MF deluxe?
    I’m using J74s now.

I dont think you can determine what strings are best just by the model or brand. Every mandolin is different. They arent cars.Theyre made out of wood. One gibson f5 might be more similar to a Collings MF than another gibson f5.

I personally just have two sets of strings that i like, and try on any new mandolin i get. GHS A270s and Daddario EXP74. These are about as different as 2 sets of medium PB strings you will find in my experience. The GHS more raw and strong, the EXP74s more refined and smooth. Id recommend trying those out
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

25. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Pete Braccio, I also use EFW-74s on both a Mike Black A4 and a Gibson F5G, but the Orpheum tenor banjo gets Tomastic 174 light strings. They call them Mandola strings but folks on the far side of the pond are a bit mental, I think. They’re intended use is octave mandolin but they were the answer to my search for short scale tenor banjo strings. The Gs run over .050 and are loud, not at all floppy.
    Mike Snyder

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Snyder For This Useful Post:

Nobody can determine for you 'which' strings will sound best on YOUR mandolin (or 'whatever'). You have to try them for yourself.
    Folks say the 'their' mandolin sounds terrific with 'x' brand / gauge etc. - i might think that it doesn't sound good at all. Our ears as well as our mandolin are all different & the older you get the 'more different' they get.

A while back,one Cafe member with a Weber "Fern", said that Black Diamonmd strings (same gauges as EJ74s) sounded great on it. I tried a set & they lasted all of a half hour - they sounded dreadful. Zach Wilson uses GHS A270's on his Weber "Fern" & says that it sounds 'good'. It may very well do so,but my own Weber "Fern" sounded far less than 'good' when i put A270s on it.Set up, bridge height etc., all play a part in the 'sound',& i'd bet that my Weber isn't set up like Zachs.

If we want to get the best out of our mandolins,as has been said countless times on here - the cheapest up-grade is strings (& picks) - so try 'em all,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

29. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

FWIW I have been using D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings on all my mandolins except vintage bowlbacks (Dogal Calace RW92b- dolce) and Thomastik flatwounds on my L&H Washburn A.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

31. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Zach Wilson uses GHS A270's on his Weber "Fern" & says that it sounds 'good'. It may very well do so,but my own Weber "Fern" sounded far less than 'good' when i put A270s on it.Set up, bridge height etc., all play a part in the 'sound',& i'd bet that my Weber isn't set up like Zachs.

If we want to get the best out of our mandolins,as has been said countless times on here - the cheapest up-grade is strings (& picks) - so try 'em all,
    Ivan
    I totally agree!!! We would also have to consider the type of playing, desired tone and volume, pick preference, year the mandolin was made and builder, and many other variables of each individual.

Just to clarify... mines not an F5 Fern. It's an F14 Yellowstone. I'm not sure of difference. But I get your point and once again, completely agree.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

My Bitterroot F is currently really liking the Straight Up mediums. It gets along fine with EJ 74's, and I recently tried a set of EFW 74 flats, and liked the feel of them, but they were sort of 'meh' sounding. Sticking with the Straight Ups for the foreseeable future.

I like reading about the variety that everyone experiences. These really are amazingly individual little varmints that we all play...

As we all know,all mandolins are different,& will respond differently to strings & picks,even if they're set up exactly the same (or as close as you could ever get them set up). I couldn't believe how dreadful the sound of the Black Diamond strings was on my Weber "Fern",especially as a Cafe member said how good they sounded on his own "Fern". It simply proved to me 100%,what i'd already experienced,having tried other strings than J74s (now EJ74s) before. My Weber simply doesn't care for the .016" A strings in the A270 set. Maybe because the mandolin is a tad 'bright' sounding anyway, & the .016" strings are a bit OTT for it.

For any mandolin player seeking to get the 'best'from their instrument,trying out different strings & picks is a 'must' - IMHO,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

36. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Every one has a different set of ears that hears in a different way . For my Ellis A5 and F5 I still like GHS A270's best ! For my Girouard oval I prefer Mangan medium Bluegrass series strings.My string experimentation has concluded and this is what I'm sticking with==================== this week !