Thread: Gibson A 1917 with one oval ring and "The Gibson" on headstock

Default Gibson A 1917 with one oval ring and "The Gibson" on headstock

I'm curious - I recently purchased a Gibson 1917 A Mandolin (S#39841, FON 11027) with the normal (for the A model) one decorative ring around the oval hole but it also has "The Gibson" on the headstock as well as on the tailpiece cover. I've not seen another one like it and I do not see pictures of any 1917 A's with one ring and "The Gibson" on the headstock in either ads, Spann's or the new book on Gibson history. Do I have something unusual - a 1917 A body with an A1 headstock for example? Was Gibson mixing parts from different years/models to assemble their products back then? - Thanks, Dan

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/20237...0/s-l140/p.jpg

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Gibson A 1917 with one oval ring and "The Gibson" on headstoc

Your image doesn't offer a lot of clues, but I'd guess that the tailpiece cover is a replacement and that the headstock was amended after it left the factory, perhaps when it returned at some point for repair.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson A 1917 with one oval ring and "The Gibson" on headstoc

The picture just comes up as a thumbnail when you try to view it. I tried to enlarge it for a good look, but all I got was a blur. If you can give us a new picture that can be viewed at normal size, we can tell you more about your mandolin.

Anyway, although a plain Gibson A with an inlayed logo would not have been catalog correct, it would not surprise me one bit if it indeed left the factory like that. Yes, Gibson was known to mix parts even in the 1910's.

A tailpiece with "The Gibson" logo was standard factory issue for a plain A from the 'teens.
    Last edited by rcc56; Nov-19-2018 at 1:00am.