Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, etc.

  1. #1

    Default String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, etc.

    Hi, friends. I've got a nice French mandolin, right around 1900 (of course!), fluted ribs, but it sounds quite thin with the inexpensive strings the restorer put on. I have little experience with "higher end" strings, so I'm soliciting comparisons of strings to try to make it sing with a fuller voice. I play music of the period, "classic, not classical" as the banjo folks say. I know I can trust this group for a variety of opinions, so please offer them freely.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Dogal Calace rw92B are nice strings. The wound strings are a bit rough to the touch at first, but then they smooth out and get comfortable. Lenzner used to make a "Consort" set out of bronze; i believe the "a" string is wound. Also good strings. They're still available, but under a different label which I don't recall. Bronze are more mellow, the Dogals are probably brighter.

    They're not cheap, but they last a loooong time.

    I don't care for Thomastiks; flatwounds belong on German-style bowlbacks.
    Of course your mileage may vary; there ar folks here who swear by them.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob A For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,871

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Bob A made good suggestions - now, I ask what gauge strings are on your mandolin? low to high?

    thanks

  5. #4

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Bob A made good suggestions - now, I ask what gauge strings are on your mandolin? low to high?

    thanks
    Thank you for the question, David. The answer is that I'm not sure. I'll have to put a micrometer on them, but I know they are light. I'll let you know when I get the time. While waiting, why do you ask?

  6. #5
    Registered User DavidKOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North CA
    Posts
    3,871

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stetson View Post
    Thank you for the question, David. The answer is that I'm not sure. I'll have to put a micrometer on them, but I know they are light. I'll let you know when I get the time. While waiting, why do you ask?
    To help pick out another set.

  7. #6
    Mando-Accumulator Jim Garber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    26,083

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Dogal Calace rw92B are nice strings. The wound strings are a bit rough to the touch at first, but then they smooth out and get comfortable. Lenzner used to make a "Consort" set out of bronze; i believe the "a" string is wound. Also good strings. They're still available, but under a different label which I don't recall. Bronze are more mellow, the Dogals are probably brighter.

    They're not cheap, but they last a loooong time.

    I don't care for Thomastiks; flatwounds belong on German-style bowlbacks.
    Of course your mileage may vary; there ar folks here who swear by them.
    Lenzner mandolin strings, at least the Consort ones, were taken over by Fisoma the last I checked. Bernunzio carries the Dogal Calaces. Currently on sale, too. Those are my preferred strings for vintage bowlbacks.
    Jim

    My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

  8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:


  9. #7
    Registered User Martin Jonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northop, North Wales
    Posts
    6,022

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Lenzner mandolin strings, at least the Consort ones, were taken over by Fisoma the last I checked.
    As they say: "It's complicated".

    There are now two companies making "Consort" strings, the result of some sort of commercial dispute about the ownership of the "Lenzner" brand.

    The original company Lenzner Saitenmanufaktur OHG sells their mandolin strings, including the Consort set, under the brand name Fisoma. The Fisoma Consort set with the wound A string sells at EUR 20.99 at schneidermusik.de (Link).

    However, the brand name Lenzner has somehow been acquired by one of their competitors, Optima Strings, who are selling their own Consort set as "Optima Lenzner EMBERGHER CONSORT MANDOLIN - Strings for ancient mandolins (model Embergher) and baroque mandolins, wound with a finely polished Bronze wire." Also available at schneidermusik.de at EUR 25.95 per set (Link). At one stage, the Optima set was sold in packs prominently featuring the Lenzner name. However, it looks like right now, neither Optima nor Fisoma are using the name Lenzner in any way on the packaging (although it still appears in the item description online).

    Alex T. will be better placed to comment on which of the two competing "Consort" sets has their endorsement and comes closest to what he originally developed with Lenzner around 2005. I would say that the original Consort set from the last decade had a flatwound A string that I found problematic in that the material tended to wear through at the frets, resulting in the string unwinding. I am now using the Fisoma Consort set, which has a bronze wound polished A string (same as the D and G string) which I like a lot -- no problems with breakage, unravelling or tuning. I have not tried the Optima Consort set, but I see that it has a nickel flatwound A string, different from the bronze wound polished D and G.

    Martin

  10. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:


  11. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine USA
    Posts
    608

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Hi everyone
    I posted a question about a Washburn "New Model" mandolin [1890s?] earlier.
    Need to string it up for a friend who is a beginner. He'll play folk music.
    Can you suggest strings which would be most suitable for this music on this mandolin?
    Light or medium light guage?
    Thanks.
    --Joel

  12. #9
    Mando-Accumulator Jim Garber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    26,083

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    Hi everyone
    I posted a question about a Washburn "New Model" mandolin [1890s?] earlier.
    Need to string it up for a friend who is a beginner. He'll play folk music.
    Can you suggest strings which would be most suitable for this music on this mandolin?
    Light or medium light guage?
    Thanks.
    --Joel
    Definitely light or even (preferred) ultralight. For decent inexpensive, GHS A240 ultralights are good. May favorites are Dogal Calace RW92B Dolce strings. Bernunzio carries them and they are on sale right now. They cost more than GHS but sound wonderful IMHO.
    Jim

    My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

  13. #10
    Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor/Austin
    Posts
    5,122

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Bernunzio carries them and they are on sale right now. They cost more than GHS but sound wonderful IMHO.
    Thanks and a tip of the hat, Jim. That is a good price.....

    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett
    ______________________

    '05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

  14. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine USA
    Posts
    608

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Thanks Jim for the tip on strings.
    We used to chat a long time ago here and on CoMando. I haven't
    played acoustic mandolin in a long time but am getting back to it now.
    Kind of excited about it :^)
    I noticed in previous posts you mentioned having old mando tuners.
    If you have a set which would fit my Washburn New Model, and are interested in
    selling them please contact me at: mojo[at]tiac[dot]net
    thanks--Joel

  15. #12
    Registered User Bruce Clausen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,305

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Dogal Calace rw92B are nice strings. The wound strings are a bit rough to the touch at first, but then they smooth out and get comfortable...

    They're not cheap, but they last a loooong time.
    I'll say they do. I bought two sets in 2010 for my Watanabe. When I sold the mandolin in 2017, the first set was still on it and sounding fine. On that instrument they gave a strong, bright, full, punchy sound that suited it perfectly. And the current sale price at Bernunzio is very attractive.

    Here's an old thread on this topic that includes some info on gauges, plus a range of opinions:

    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...rings+bowlback

  16. #13

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Thanks, everyone, for the opinions and advice. I have gotten a set of Dogal Calaces, and hope to get them installed this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. -Chris.

  17. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Definitely light or even (preferred) ultralight. For decent inexpensive, GHS A240 ultralights are good. May favorites are Dogal Calace RW92B Dolce strings. Bernunzio carries them and they are on sale right now. They cost more than GHS but sound wonderful IMHO.
    Thanks for where to get the Dogal Calaces. I got a set to try. Never knew where to get them before.

  18. #15
    Registered User thecelloronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The peninsula
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: String opinions for bowlbacks: Dogal, Pyramid, Thomastik, et

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stetson View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the opinions and advice. I have gotten a set of Dogal Calaces, and hope to get them installed this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. -Chris.
    Do let us know!
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •