Thread: Home by Philip Phillips

Default Home by Philip Phillips

I have a talent show coming up this weekend and my buddy wants to sing the song "Home" by Phillip Phillips w/ me on my octave mandolin. I'm having an issue w/ the last two lines of the verse:

C G/B Am G Am
    Just know you're not alone

F C/E G C
    Cuz I'm gonna make this place your home

I know the walk down notes are --> F, E, D, C but it would sound goofy if I stop strumming to walk down single notes.....

Any help would be appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Home by Philip Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
    I have a talent show coming up this weekend and my buddy wants to sing the song "Home" by Phillip Phillips w/ me on my octave mandolin. I'm having an issue w/ the last two lines of the verse:

C G/B Am G Am
    Just know you're not alone

F C/E G C
    Cuz I'm gonna make this place your home

I know the walk down notes are --> F, E, D, C but it would sound goofy if I stop strumming to walk down single notes.....

Any help would be appreciated!
    Here's how I'd voice it, playing full chords the whole time. I've bolded the walking line:

1 0 3 x
    0 3 2 2
    3 2 0 5
    5 0 0 4

F C G G/B

[edit] I just saw you said octave mando. I'm not sure if the reach on that F chord will be too much, so maybe:

x
    Last edited by Drew Streip; Nov-13-2018 at 10:37am. Reason: misread

Awesome! Thanks Drew!

That is the first walk down over "Just know your not alone". How would you finger the C/E in the second walk down?

I really appreciate your help!

Blog Entries

That's actually the one I wrote out -- those bold notes are the implied bass line (F E D B C), or root notes of the chords (IV, I (iii), ii, V, I).*

I tend not to get too literal with voicings on mandolin, because it is more limited than guitar or piano. C/E is technically just an inversion of a C chord (E + G + C), or (E + C + G).

On a mando, it's really tough to play standard 1/3/5 voicings. That F I wrote is about the closest thing you'll get. If you really want to voice the C/E, just drop the open G from the chord I wrote and play it on the E string:

x

The problem is, the only other "low" E is at the 9th fret of the G string. Then you're running into a big jump in both position and timbre. I think you'll want to stick with the rich tones of the open chords.

*sorry for getting music nerdy, I'd be happy to explain more if you need!

Drew! Wow! You know what you're talking about! Thank you!

I was always under the assumption that it didn't matter the order of a chord. I was also always wondering what a __/__ chord meant.

Okay, so you've explained the C/E....the G/B would be G + B + D# + F#? Actually, that would be just a G in front of a B chord which doesn't look (or sound) right.

If it's bringing the B in front of a G chord it would be B + G + D:

X

I appreciate the music nerdy'ness! I just wish it wasn't over my head....yes, I need some lessons on theory!

Thanks again for your help. It truly is very much appreciated!

Cancel that last post! I just reread your first response & you gave me a G/B already! I got it now! Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Any time, man! When you see the slash, it just means the first letter is the chord, and the second letter is the note that's played in the bass. Most often in pop music, it's a note that's already part of the chord -- in the case of C/E. It just helps get you from one place to the next, within the key.

Other times, it's a note outside the chord. I think my first introduction to that was the Pat Metheny tune "Bright Size Life." The song is (nominally) in D, but he plays D/C, G/A, F/G, and BbMaj7/A. It's all about movement! Take a listen:

Thanks for sharing Drew! I have not seen that. Pat Metheny is fabulous. I spun the album Beyond the Missouri Sky non stop when it was released.

We ended up swapping out Home for John Denvers Country Roads! I couldn't get either step down to sound good for some reason.

Thanks again for all your help! Have a good weekend!