Thread: "H" Bracing for a flat-top Octave Mandolin

Default "H" Bracing for a flat-top Octave Mandolin

I have used H bracing on some 10" mandolins, and recently used it on a 11 1/2" wide body (see pic).
    I am now building a 12" wide Octave Mandolin with a 19" scale. Any thoughts out there?
    In the wide body mandolin, the traverse brace was 3/8 x 3/4. I think it was a bit too big, but the but the finished instrument has a nice balance and plenty of volume and resonance.
    I'm thinking of 1/4 x 3/4 for the OM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0093.JPG 
Views:	347 
Size:	477.9 KB 
ID:	172597

I carved away quite a bit of the braces.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default Re: "H" Bracing for a flat-top Octave Mandolin

Should work just fine 8-)

Cheers

3. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Tukanu 

Graham,
    I thought I read somewhere that you would suggest placing the traverse brace slightly ahead of the bridge location rather than directly underneath it?

This is a small advantage, I think, in moving the transverse brace 1/2-3/4" in front of the bridge, but it is not huge. More important is carving enough of the braces away to support the top without stiffening it up too much. I might be worthwhile thinking about cantilevering the transverse brace over the longitudinal braces so it doesn't sound them at the intersection. I haven't tried that, but I think it could work.

Cheers

Interesting idea; leaving a gap so that the braces don't touch at the intersection?

Name:	DSCF0143.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	172608

Yep, that sort of idea. I am thinking that you want to support the longitudinal arch but have some control over the transverse stiffness.

8. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Tukanu 

Name:	P_20180217_110746.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	172612

I have experimented with that configuration recently & so far I like the results. I built a 12" top, 22" scale OM with that bracing pattern & I believe it is one of the best sounding I have built. I used a cross-grained ring around the sound hole & that seems to obviate the need for further bracing in that area. Also I like to bind the sound hole.

I like the bracing pattern because it puts the braces exactly where they are needed: to support the downward force of the bridge & resist longitudinal buckling. And of course to control stiffness. Unfortunately I did not record (at least I can't find) the dimensions of the braces, but I believe I was in the same ballpark.

I have built a test rig like James Condino's & plan to continue experimenting when I can get back to the shop. The idea of making the braces independent is quite interesting.

Earl Tyler

Thanks Earl. It is very encouraging to know it works well with the larger top of an OM. I will be building the braces today and hope to get them carved tomorrow.

Braces are all 1/4 x 3/4 and tapered toward the top. I left the transverse brace full height to carry the load. The longitudinal braces were reduced by quite a bit, but are still very stiff. There is only a slight bit of give when I stress them. I think that's enough shaping for now.

Name:	DSCF0149.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	172661
    Last edited by Tukanu; Nov-14-2018 at 6:30pm.