Thread: Mandolins on Ebay

Default Mandolins on Ebay

There is a seller on Ebay who sometimes has used "The Loar" mandolins. Appear to be real pics but the seller isn't set up to ask questions. Also sometimes you go to their other items or store and nothing is listed even though they have items for sale. Should I be wary?

Default Re: Mandolins on Ebay

I would be wary. to bad your all the way up in Canada, I would sell you my Loar 600 with a local pick up.

Blog Entries

1. I don't know how a seller can be not set up to answer questions.
    2. I have been a seller (and a buyer) on eBay. As a seller I am eager to receive and answer questions. As a buyer, if I ask a question and I don't get a quick courteous answer, I do become wary. I have heard of folks who will ask a simple question just to see if the seller can answer: no answer or poor answer or rude answer = no deal.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

G7MOF 

What is their feedback rating and what do the comments say?

Feedback is really good. This is what it says when you try to contact them.

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

I am watching 2 of his items but when I go to the store or other items they say 0 items.

Somewhere south of Denver and north of Pueblo

I've bought more than my share of instruments on Ebay. Regarding "used" or "new not in the box" instruments, I no longer buy from anyone resembling a power seller, only truly private individuals. My last four major-purchase transactions from power sellers have been total heartaches, and I've never been lied to by an individual. Truly "new in box", retail instruments I've never had a problem on Ebay from power sellers.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    What is their feedback rating and what do the comments say?
    This matters very little, if their Ebay account has been hijacked ... hijackers love to use accounts with stellar ratings, automatic trust factor there.

I'm not saying that's the case re: the OP's question, just saying that if your antennae are up, be wary, and don't be too quick to accept a good feedback rating. Sometime the person who is offering a fishy-smelling deal is not the proper owner of that account.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Ussually if they have ships to the u.s only the questions you try to ask the seller are blocked by that preference and blocked by ebay as well. Ive been there as well. But if you go to there feedback page see on the right upper .contact this seller. It will direct you to that seller. But you have to click on the square block. Meaning a messageis notpretaining to a sale of theres. You then just ask. If they respond .great but most of the time they dont.

Blog Entries

Thanks, slimt. That clarifies the OP's question, for me anyway. I, myself, have been guilty of specifying "US Buyers Only Please". I can see how that could result in eBay blocking questions from outside the US.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Thanks, slimt. That clarifies the OP's question, for me anyway. I, myself, have been guilty of specifying "US Buyers Only Please". I can see how that could result in eBay blocking questions from outside the US.
    Ya thats the way it works. By the way alot of U.S sellers that have the ships to the U.S only cannot be seen on the Canadian Ebay even if you are on ebay.com looking

Just like looking on the European sites. You can see every yhing they sell . but if you save a item to view later and go back to the ebay.com or ca . then try to view there other listings it shows a big zero for items

12. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassdan View Post
    There is a seller on Ebay who sometimes has used "The Loar" mandolins. Appear to be real pics but the seller isn't set up to ask questions. Also sometimes you go to their other items or store and nothing is listed even though they have items for sale. Should I be wary?
    Short answer----------YES !

2 negative ratings in 12 months. One says:
    Seller ignores questions. Does not pack musical instrument properly
    One neutral comment says:
    Item arrived almost as expected, was disappointed regarding difficult communicat
    There are lots of The Loars out there. I would find another seller who would accept returns and communicate with you.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I would buy from cl first before I buy a mandolin from eBay. with cl you can both meet in a safe place & you can look over the mandolin & hand over your cash. I bought a Phillip turntable that way. bring a friend if you like & make sure there is a lot of cameras.

===========

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassdan View Post
    I am watching 2 of his items but when I go to the store or other items they say 0 items.
    Similar story with me. I recently BOUGHT an item from a foreign eBay seller who offered excellent prices, quick shipping and apparently has dozens of other related items listed. . . but when I go to look their 'other items' it comes up 'zero'. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    I would buy from cl first before I buy a mandolin from eBay. with cl you can both meet in a safe place & you can look over the mandolin & hand over your cash. I bought a Phillip turntable that way. bring a friend if you like & make sure there is a lot of cameras.
    Of course, this assume that the instrument or other item you want is available locally or within reasonable driving distance. I have been pretty lucky in buying things online. On high ticket items I try to establish some sort of communication channel starting with messaging and preferably having some sort of phone conversation with the seller. I bought a Loar era F-4 that way many years ago. If the seller does not want to give me a phone number or even an email I walk away from it all.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1