Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show your Mando "Gig Rig"!

Default Re: Show your Mando "Gig Rig"!

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Very nice, how do you like the Sure GLXD16 wireless? How does it compare to just a cable?
    Dan
    I thought this wireless was very easy to use and had great life on the rechargaeable battery. I did have issues with dropouts but only when I went to walk the room. There was other WiFi in the spaces between the router the mixer was running on, everyone’s iPads syncing to that for mix and monitor controls, the guitar player also being on 2.4ghz wireless, and WiFi jukeboxes. I think the problem was line of sight with it being down on the floor on my pedal board. The guitarist had no dropouts and was using a racknounted Relay G90. For that reason I sold the Shure and got a rackmount Relay G90 which solved my problem. With good line of sight I did test the Shire unit though and had solid transmission 3 houses down the street. When I would turn so my body was between the pack and the receiver it would drop out though.

Editing because I failed to mention that the sound quality was excellent woth both units. I couldn’t tell it wasn’t a cable.

2. The following members say thank you to MojoDaniels for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Very nice, how do you like the Sure GLXD16 wireless? How does it compare to just a cable?
    Dan
    I've had great results with the GLXD16. As others have pointed out, results can vary in tough RF environments, and/or with poor line-of-sight. In the pedal form factor, keep in mind that receiver has small internal antennae. The Line 6 MojoDaniels mentions has external, probably 1/2-wave antennae, and mounted up a little higher off the floor one would expect those to perform better all around. So there's definitely a trade-off for having that receiver being so compact and living on your pedalboard.

Soundwise I think it's fine with my McIntyre pickup. Input impedance on the bodypack is a little shy of 1Mohm, and I don't feel like it sounds any different than a cable. Maybe if mandolin pickups sounded anything like my mandolin in the first place, I would be fussier about it!

4. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

dang 

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Just ordered myself a Fire-Eye Red-Eye Pre/DI... combineded with a small chromatic tuner and maybe a reverb in the future, I'm hoping to have a decent little rig as mentioned previously.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

6. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

dang 

Here's the basics, looks like I hadn't hooked up the DPA to the mandolin yet, but you get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10462389_675125342575169_511216314565764021_o.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	173453

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Seale For This Useful Post:

I've been running the tonedexter on mando and fiddle. It's the real deal. I do loop a smidge of delay; almost undetected by the ear.

10. The following members say thank you to tmg145 for this post:

dang 

OP update: After a bunch of experimentation and a good number of hours live use I replaced the chorus pedal with an optical compression pedal. The chorus was a decent novelty effect but I ended up using it less and less...

The compression pedal I am using is the Earthquaker Devices “the Warden”. I have it set to mostly give clean signal with just a light touch of compression when turned on. It’s interesting, and as people have warned here using compression live can really reduce the feedback threshold. With a little experimentation I have found I mostly use it to make a solo here or there stand out, or on a particularly fast song I want to be able to lightly float on my chop chord and still have a lot of presence to it. It really helps me get the sound I want (or at least sound a little more natural) at certain noisy times in a live bar setting.

And a quick side story, my banjo/dobro player uses a tonebone pedal. He had an empty beer in a pint glass sitting next to a full one on a table in front of him and a dancing couple bumped into the table spilling both glasses right where the pedal was. A few drops of beer got on the pedal, but the empty glass hit the pedal directly and shattered into thousands of pieces! The pedal was completely unharmed.
    So if you ever hear someone describe the tonebone as “built like a brick” - I can attest first hand to the durability!

Dan G
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

12. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

My mando rig is simple but effective:
    The Loar LM-520
    Behringer ADI-21 EQ-DI
    Xvive U2 wireless

Name:	ACB319B1-DB67-444F-BD11-83E0670E8D66.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	749.3 KB 
ID:	176473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5C3D440-F420-4284-8B6B-D6A48EDB3DE1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	176474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80E82E54-42DD-40DA-8947-D5B010D31034.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	700.6 KB 
ID:	176475

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

My current rig isn't too interesting. I've simplified greatly from a few years ago. These days it's just a Baggs Venue. It has five EQ knobs and a built-in tuner. The XLR output provides a cleaner, stronger signal than the 1/4". I had a Fishman 100 bridge installed, with the wires attached to a 1/4 " end pin jack. Easy connection. I still use Old Blue, my fabric-covered Whirlwind cable from my first band. It's nearly forty years old, so that lifetime guarantee is working out just fine.

But I used to use a bit more equipment. I was in an Americana band, and used an electric as well as the acoustic. The MandoBird was OK for a while, but I upgraded to a Ryder 44. I had an old Arion pedal board for the pedals - mostly EQ/gain and tuner - plus a Morley volume-wah that let me do cool things, like sound like a pedal steel. There was a Yamaha REX50 multi-effects unit, with a distortion+reverb setting I liked, but it became unreliable. I picked up a Fender Super Champ tube amp with a bunch of built-in solid-state effects.

This all fit onto my bike, as seen here. Modeling is my neighbor's sister, who is much better-lookimg than me. The amp would go on top of the back milk crate horizontally, bungied down, with the pedal board lying down atop it. And the mike stand shaft went along the horizontal frame, and the base in the bottom of the crate. Cables, mike, etc went in the green tote bag.

Name:	Gig Rig 3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	669.3 KB 
ID:	176478
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!