Thread: I don’t really know what I’ve got!

Default I don’t really know what I’ve got!

Attachment 172556Attachment 172555Attachment 172557Attachment 172558

Found this little bowl back mandolin today at a junk store. It is playable and has a good tone even with the nasty strings. Buzzes on first fret of g string. 17 small ribs on back. Does anyone know what I’ve got and do you think it is worth getting fixed up? Thank you for your time. (Please excuse sideways pics.)

Default Re: I don’t really know what I’ve got!

Hey Terri, your attachment is not working. You might want to try again.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Terri 

Not having much luck getting this to work for me. I’ll try again! Thanks for the heads up!

I am trying to do this on my iPad. I have watched the how-to video, but I’m having no luck. Will try later when I get to my desk top!

I think the iPad is the problem - you can’t control the size or name of whatever you’re trying to attach. Someone will now come along, tell me I’m wrong and tell us how to do it!!!!!

8. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Terri 

Upload to an IMGUR account. I'm sorry this is being such a pain, but I really would like to know what this is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ENvDQx.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	683.0 KB 
ID:	172591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4Ic5X86.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	172592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7H8JmR.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	611.1 KB 
ID:	172593  

It would be useful to see the tuners and the whole bowl of the mandolin. I imagine it was made in the USA- the tuners should confirm this- or not! It looks to be in pretty good shape although this is hard to substantiate from photos alone.

11. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Terri 

Thanks. Now that I know how to upload photos I will do so.

More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vdOsVvP.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	724.9 KB 
ID:	172599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sIcpwKG.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	644.9 KB 
ID:	172600  

The tuners appear to be a typical American type- probably early 20th century judging by the configuration of the mechanism. I cannot identify the maker- so many of these mandolins were similar in style but there are often aspects that point to a particular maker. Perhaps, someone else will spot some of these. Here is an Oscar Schmidt with German made tuners. In fact this company was founded in central Europe and then began manufacture in Jersey City. At this time you often see German made parts on instruments, in fact, there was a huge inlay business in Germany and these were imported wholesale- as well as tuning machines and tailpieces etc- the metalware.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

Now, this possible Oscar Schmidt has tuners like yours and the pearl fingerboard.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...ade-pearl.html

I think the fact that both this mandolin and yours have Saturn on their boards is significant and may point to the same maker- probably OS. However, it is worth remembering, that pearl overlay could have been made and sold for general use by a third party. In reality, I would imagine your mandolin and this one are from the same maker- same tuner units as well.
    Last edited by NickR; Nov-13-2018 at 4:38am.

15. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Terri 

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. It is playable and has stayed in tune since I brought it home, even with the yucky stings it has on it. Have a great day!

It sounds to me that you could restring it- GHS ultra lights would be my choice-they are 09-32 gauge. If the G string still buzzes at fret one, you could try moving the bridge very slightly forward at that side to raise the string. You should be able to tell how well the mandolin intonates when you move the bridge a little. It would be unlikely that it has perfect intonation after all these years. I acquired a mandolin earlier in the year that buzzed at fret one, so I raised the strings with a couple of pennies and took a minimal amount off the fret- and I mean very minimal with a nail file. This cured the buzzing. Do not attempt this if you do not know what you are doing. However some frets have high spots or are raised- I have pressed frets down. I do have behind me an incredibly skilled man who can rectify any mistakes I make- and so far, so good!He gets all the big jobs and makes light of them!

I moved the bridge as you suggested and that did alleviate some of the buzz. The mandolin strings I have on hand are too heavy, so I’ll have to wait until I can get some ultra lights. I’m hesitant to attempt any fret work, so I guess my next step will be to call the luthier I use for my guitars. Thank you for your help.

Sometimes a bit of parchment paper folded up and inserted under the offending string at the bridge will alleviate the buzz. It will also raise the action just a hair, but tradeoffs are the name of the game withe fretted instruments.

20. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Terri 

I will try that! Thanks.

New question. What about cleaning it? I have some stuff I use on my guitars occasionally (called The Guitar ONE). I am wary of using anything which might harm the pearl fingerboard. Do any of you have any suggestions?

I suggest you ask your luthier what he recommends but I have used cleaning/cutting agents that have an extremely fine abrasive in them. However, I have practised my methodology on badly damaged instruments that would not be further ruined if I got it wrong. In fact, I now have a system that seems to work for me and I did clean up two of my great grandfather's bowl back mandolins using this system. As a bowl back has all those staves you will want to avoid getting anything caught in the joints between them- or in any other jointed areas. or in gaps around the guard etc.

24. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Terri 

Heavier strings can damage a bowl back because they are not designed for that much tension. It is best to loosen those until you get lighter strings.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

26. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Terri 

Thank you. I have ordered some ultra lights and will loosen them until I can get them changed.