Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Gibson mandolin 1911

Post Rare Gibson mandolin 1911

Hello everyone .I have a old original Gibson mandolin 1911. Today i browsed in internet for this kind of mandolin and i did not find another Gibson mandolin 1911 like mine. I dont know much for the mandolin industry but what i find is that the Gibson mandolin 1911 it is rare . I need your help here to find what value does it have . If the mandolin is very rare and the price is high maybe i can sell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolina foto 1.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	172565

Name:	mandolina foto 2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	726.1 KB 
ID:	172566

Name:	mandolina foto 3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	730.9 KB 
ID:	172567

Name:	mandolina foto 4.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	508.8 KB 
ID:	172568

Name:	mandolina foto 5.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	538.1 KB 
ID:	172569

Name:	mandolina foto 6.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	172570
    Last edited by xhonxhon3x; Nov-11-2018 at 8:21pm.

Post Gibson mandolin 1911

Hello everyone .I have a old original Gibson mandolin 1911. Today i browsed in internet for this kind of mandolin and i did not find another Gibson mandolin 1911 like mine. I dont know much for the mandolin industry but what i find is that the Gibson mandolin 1911 it is rare . I need your help here to find what value does it have . If the mandolin is very rare and the price is high maybe i can sell

Default Re: Rare Gibson mandolin 1911

Welcome to the Cafe. Early Gibsons are not that rare and value depends on condition. Posting some photo's will help a lot to get answers to your questions.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I will post some photo now

5. The following members say thank you to xhonxhon3x for this post:

Default Re: Gibson mandolin 1911

Welcome to the Cafe. Early Gibson mandolins are not that rare. Value depends on condition so posting some clear photo's of the instrument would go a long way to help answer your questions.
    Charley

Perhaps the moderators will blend your two posts into one.
    Charley

I edit my post here .You can see the picture of the mandolin

Blog Entries

Two discussions have been merged. Not necessary to create multiple posts for the same topic. Also, from our posting guidelines, this space is not to be used as a point of selling. Fine to discuss values but any use of this space to sell the instrument will result in the topic being closed and possibly removed or edited.

From the posting guidelines:

Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

Looks to be an A-2 from the teens, fairly common. The 1911 Pat. date you see on the pick guard clamp is for the patent date of the clamp.
    Others can advise you on the dating of the serial number on the label and look to see if there is a number stamped on the neck block. That will help in establishing a date of manufacture.
    Charley

PAT 1911 is not the date of production ? The serial number does not appear clear but looks like 3225

Here they say are also instruments without identifications. https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-gibson_eng.php

This is a clear picture .There is no serial number Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181112_015725.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	388.1 KB 
ID:	172573

Teacher, repair person

This is a Gibson A-1 made somewhere around 1917. While these mandolins may be scarce where you live, they are quite common in the US. They made many thousands of them. Yours is in need of repair-- it is missing one fret, and the plastic "binding" attached to the fret board is loose. It is otherwise in moderate condition, neither very bad nor very good. The metal tailpiece cover is a replacement.

Similar instruments might bring $1000 or perhaps a little more in the US if repairs have been executed.

This forum does not allow the selling of instruments. My suggestion to you is to have the fret replaced, the binding glued, and to have the instrument checked for loose glue joints because of its age. If there is not someone experienced with mandolins in your area, a good violin maker or repairman can do the work. Then, if you wish to sell it, you can post it in the Mandolin Café classifieds, or on a website such as reverb.com, or consign it with a shop that routinely sells "vintage" instruments.

If you let us know what area you are located in, we might be able to help you find a repairman or a shop that carries old instruments.
    Last edited by rcc56; Nov-11-2018 at 9:54pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    This is a Gibson A-1 made somewhere around 1917. While these mandolins may be scarce where you live, they are quite common in the US. They made many thousands of them. Yours is in need of repair-- it is missing one fret, and the plastic "binding" attached to the fret board is loose. It is otherwise in moderate condition, neither very bad nor very good. The metal tailpiece cover is a replacement.

Similar instruments might bring $1000 or perhaps a little more in the US if repairs have been executed.

This forum does not allow the selling of instruments. My suggestion to you is to have the fret replaced, the binding glued, and to have the instrument checked for loose glue joints because of its age. If there is not someone experienced with mandolins in your area, a good violin maker or repairman can do the work. Then, if you wish to sell it, you can post it in the Mandolin Café classifieds, or on a website such as reverb.com, or consign it with a shop that routinely sells "vintage" instruments.

If you let us know what area you are located in, we might be able to help you find a repairman or a shop that carries old instruments.
    Mandolin is from 1909-1911 .I live in Albania.

Fix it and play it - then you will realize it's true value!

17. The following members say thank you to Hockey Puck for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Jaroslav Prucha en.pruchabanjos.cz or Jiri Lebeda www.mandolins.net/lebeda/lebedamandolins.html are the closest people I know of to you who might be able to help you. They are both in the Czech Republic. You could also try Trevor Moyle in the UK at www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/. Trevor Moyle regularly handles these old Gibson mandolins.

If there is a violin shop near you, that might be the easiest way to go. I see that Albania is not an EU member, so I don't know how that would affect you if you were to ship or carry the instrument out of the country.

Most of us who know these instruments well would date it closer to 1916 or 1917 because of the particular shape and style of the pickguard, the bridge, and the style of the tuner shafts. But it really doesn't matter much. The value would be the same whether it was made in 1911 or 1917.
    Last edited by rcc56; Nov-11-2018 at 11:27pm.

Albania is a long way from either the Czech Republic or Trevor in the UK! I’m not sure how rare Gibson mandolins are in Albania but it’s value will depend on local circumstances (i.e. Gibson mandolins are worth relatively more in the UK than in the US because they aren’t as common.).

If you would like an accurate date (i) try reading the serial number under a strong light from different angles - they were written in pencil, tend to fade and lighting is important and (ii) have a look inside, up by the neck block, there should be a “Factory Ordr Number” which will tell us when agibson started building it.

$1000 bucks could easily be three or four months pay in Albania, FWIW......

21. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

A teens mandolin for sure. It Doesn't really matter year as they all are the same. Before 1910 I believe, they had an inlayed pick guard. In nice playing condition, Id say $1000-$1200. As is probably $700. If all frets need to be replaced, that will be at least $300 by a competent luthier. -maybe more but there are less frets on this scale mando.

From the photo of the pickguard clamp it appears that the back was reglued with some sort of white glue. Not sure if that would affect the value or not.
    Charley

Original case will add $100-$200 in value, if in good condition. I'd get it repaired and play it.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Also, do you have the original case? If the case is in good shape, that helps the value too!

I love my old Gibson mandolin!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Reasons to start pulling frets might include that the top has sunk or the neck is out of alignment.

Bulgaria or Greece, or even Italy, would be a lot closer. I have a Facebook friend who's a member of a Bulgarian mandolin quartet, and I know there are several mandolin builders in Greece, although I don't have any specific names.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

One should be mindful of value relative to ability to pay. Heed the monthly salary statement above. One can only get what someone can give. What someone can sell a mandolin for in New York City would have no bearing really, on what you can sell one for else ware.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

28. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    One should be mindful of value relative to ability to pay. Heed the monthly salary statement above. One can only get what someone can give. What someone can sell a mandolin for in New York City would have no bearing really, on what you can sell one for else ware.
    Just trying to give a ballpark figure. It doesnt matter if you live in NYC or Montana, that is a $1000-$1200 mando in the US, using US currency. That monthy statement wasnt even by the OP. Of course it may only be worth 12 widgets in widgetland.