Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you recommend for a second mandolin?

Default What do you recommend for a second mandolin?

Hi everyone, long-time listener, first-time caller. I've been learning mandolin for about a year on my first instrument, a Fender FM 52E. And it's been fine for an absolute beginner but really, I don't like the way it sounds. It's got an internal pickup but played unplugged it's tinny and it just doesn't have that rich, meaty chonk that I associate with a bluegrass mandolin. The box just doesn't project.

I'm ready to move up and I'd like recommendations for a second instrument. The selection locally is very poor so I'll be mail-ordering something sight unseen.

My main criteria are tone and playability and I'd like to stay under, say, $300.

I would welcome recommendations - including where as well as what to buy, if you know a good online vendor.

Thanks!

2. The following members say thank you to BadExampleMan for this post:

Default Re: What do you recommend for a second mandolin?

Try to find a used KM 150 or a Stradolin. Happy hunting!

Or, if you stretch it to 400, buy a new KM 150 from a cafe sponsor who will set it up well for you...
    Chuck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

This page on Amazon has a KM 150 "All Solid" for $250 and "Solid Top" for, like, 13 bucks more. I would've thought all solid would be more desireable thus more expensive not less. Am I wrong or is this just weird pricing?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Watch the Cafe a classifieds and buy with a 48 hr. approval window. If you don't like it you are only out shipping both ways.
    Your money will go much further buying a used A style. If you do choose to buy new, buy from a Cafe sponsor so your new instrument arrives to you with a good set-up.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Nov-11-2018 at 1:27pm.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

8. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

I'm in MENA, so shipping is nontrivial (and usually involves having someone bring it from the states as luggage to avoid ruinous customs duties).

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Kentucky or Eastman depending on your tonal preference. A used A model of either brand should suit your needs. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

11. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Lots of good suggestions above.

Mine: You might be able to find a used Mid-Missouri/Big Muddy (same company, different eras) for that.

All solid wood, big sound, made in the USA, and a good flattop will set you apart from the herd and unheard.

Like you, my first mando was a Fender electric. Not a good instrument. My second was a Mid-Missouri, and I like it so much I've kept it and still play it a lot even though my third is a much fancier A-style.

For busking and other unamplified applications, the Mid-Missouri is the one I use.

I'd recommend, if possible to save another $300-400 and look for an Eastman 315. I think for what you're wanting to spend the relative gain would be little to what you'd get if you could spend a little more. Best of luck with your search!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    I'd recommend, if possible to save another $300-400 and look for an Eastman 315. I think for what you're wanting to spend the relative gain would be little to what you'd get if you could spend a little more. Best of luck with your search!
    What Pittsburgh Bill said about getting better value for an A-style than an F-style used goes for new as well. An Eastman 315 (F-style) will cost you about $300 more (in Canada) than an Eastman 305 (A-style) but will be the same quality mandolin. If you're a player who feels that it ain't bluegrass unless your mandolin has a scroll, go for the 315, but if you just want a nice mandolin, get the 305. I haven't tried a 305/315 comparison, but when I bought my 605, I played it against two other 605s and a 615 and the one I bought 12 years ago, blew the other 3 away. . . All mandolins of the same model are not equal.

By the way, here's an explanation of Eastman's model number system:
    The first (3 to 9) number describes the quality of materials and build. The higher the number, the better (and more expensive) the mandolin.
    The second number denotes F style (1) or A-style (0).
    The third number denotes f holes (5) or an oval hole (4).
    Jim Yates

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Yates for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post
    I'm in MENA, so shipping is nontrivial (and usually involves having someone bring it from the states as luggage to avoid ruinous customs duties).
    He's not talkin' Mena, Arkansas, folks! (yep, I had to look that one up...) Of course, international shipping is no problem if the seller is willing, but the cost/duties may be an issue -- probably a big issue in that particular price range.

17. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Jeff is right, anything over $100 value I have to pay duty on, and leaving expense aside our Customs bureaucracy puts even the old Ottoman Empire to shame - too much stuff just vanishes into a warehouse and never reappears.

I appreciate what people are saying about spending more, but if I have to spend $500+ I can't spend anything (and I really do like the F-style better, but not three bills worth of better). Based on your recommendations I'll probably go for a new KM 150, I'm seeing them on Amazon and eBay for $250-ish and I have a local shop that will do the setup when it arrives. I'm not looking for used just because of the tremendous hassle it would be to return if it should turn out to be not as advertised.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

The price of the KM-150 on Amazon is not typical pricing for these (It is Amazon's repricer selling below cost). I noticed that sale last week. I would expect that offer to be gone soon. If you have the ability, you would want to buy now.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Another solid wood mandolin choice in your price range is the Savannah SA-120. I have played one and was impressed by the sound, although it never seems to be mentioned on this forum. The store I was in also had a Kentucky KM-250 and the Savannah was much better sounding, but the Kentucky needed a setup, so probably not a fair comparison. But, I was pleasantly surprised, especially for a mandolin that sells for $169 new. And with shipping, you should still be under your budget, or close.

I'd pickup the KM-150 for $250 quick. Great mandolin and worth way more than that. You will need to do the setup yourself. Amazon ships it as received from the factory. Bridge and nut will need to be sanded and cut properly.
    If you can afford an extra $43, I'd totally go with the upgraded model the KM-252 (same as KM-250 but in amber color). Prettier woods, radiused fretboard and bridge, larger fretwire.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kentucky-KM-2.../dp/B00M2YZ3TK
    A killer deal at $293 after coupon which appears to be automatically applied.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	172578
    Go here to get Rob's excellent e-book to learn how to setup the mandolin yourself
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1196418

Also available from Musician's Friend for $293 with coupon "FALL18"
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...model-mandolin
    Last edited by colorado_al; Nov-12-2018 at 11:36am.

colorado_al, I think you read my mind. I was admiring the 252 and trying to convince myself that the color and the radiused fretboard would be worth the extra money.

So I jumped. In addition to the web coupon, if you call Amazon Harmony they give you a code for an additional 10% off.

I ordered the KM-252 and a hard case and it's being delivered to my niece in Missouri who will bring it when she comes to visit for New Year's.

Yay.

Thanks again to everyone who gave their advice.

23. The following members say thank you to BadExampleMan for this post:

Congrats!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

colorado_al, I think you read my mind. I was admiring the 252 and trying to convince myself that the color and the radiused fretboard would be worth the extra money.

So I jumped. In addition to the web coupon, if you call Amazon Harmony they give you a code for an additional 10% off.

I ordered the KM-252 and a hard case and it's being delivered to my niece in Missouri who will bring it when she comes to visit for New Year's.

Yay.

Thanks again to everyone who gave their advice.
    good choice. I dont think you can do any better at that price range
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Congrats!

I'm usually one to say to hold off and wait for the right instrument or deal to pop up... however, in your price range acting fast, as you did, is sometimes necessary. Nice work on a good buy!

if you call Amazon Harmony they give you a code for an additional 10% off
    Thanks for the tip! That is a great deal on a very good mandolin! Enjoy it!

Something to note - IMO even the best internal pickups will negatively impact the sound when compared to the acoustic sound. While there are fixes that can help resolve that (i.e. using an EQ, having a good amp, good placement of the traducers etc) it generally won't sound the same.

If you are playing out and it's possible, I'd suggest using a good instrument mic whenever possible as opposed to a pickup. The rule I follow is if anyone in the band aside from the bass has to plug in, everyone has to plug in. You may have to plug in if you get feedback from the mic or want to use certain effect pedals.

Have fun
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

29. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Holy carp, you guys! Look what I have!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	174007

My family arrived from the USA and brought my new Kentucky KM-252 with them. Of course I had to pretend I wanted to spend time with them (j/k) and wait until they went home to give it the attention it deserved.

First impressions: wow. The tone is SO much better than the Fender I've been playing. It shouts where the Fender just kind of whimpers. And it's so easy to play. Just by picking it up I'm finding my fingers more nimble and able to execute moves that I could never *quite* manage on the Fender.

Also, it's beautiful. There's a real depth to the finish, like I can see down into the wood, especially on the back of the instrument.

So, a couple of questions: One, about the bridge. The action on the instrument is a little high but the bridge it came with is a) not very good quality and b) adjusted all the way down already. The luthier who did the setup for me (Yaron Naor, check out the beautiful work he does!) said the best choice was if someone sells a replacement specifically for this model and that I should ask here so I am. The alternative is to buy a generic archtop bridge from, e.g. Stewmac.com and Yaron will shave the bottom to fit for me.

Two, what's the tool that came with the instrument? It looks like a teeny corncob pipe except made out of steel.

I'm happy to extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone who advised me to get a Kentucky. Now I just have to practice until I'm good enough to be worthy of it.

Glad you're happy with it! I got my first decent mandolin about a year ago and can remember the feeling!

Is the tool that you mention hexagonal? If so it's probably an Allen key to adjust the truss rod.

It is a hex wrench but it looks pretty large for what I thought the truss rod adjuster would be. (I haven't yet taken off the cover to check.) It looks like, maybe, 3/8 inch?

Does sound a little large, perhaps a Kentucky owner will be along later with better knowledge than me to clarify