Thread: Red Diamond Serial Numbers

Blog Entries

Default Red Diamond Serial Numbers

Does anybody have a contact number for Red Diamond (Don MacRostie). Am looking to date a Red Diamond, #74. I am guessing around 1995 based on other serial numbers I have seen with dates. But I would like to know more betterly.

I tried calling the number on the RD web site Contact page but it is not in service.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Default Re: Red Diamond Serial Numbers

OK, I missed the part about the number not being in service. Did you try his e-mail address on that same page.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Didn't try the email, but will do one tonight. My luck in getting responses by way of email via a website's contact form is pretty dismal, even when dealing with small businesses. I imagine it is not fun for the proprietor to sift through all the junk that gets sent via those contact forms.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Nov-07-2018 at 11:25pm.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

I bought RD #100 new in 1997 or 1998--that'll give you some sense of its age. I'd guess 1994 to 1996 figuring he might have built 10 to 12 a year.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

It must have been the early 90s when I walked into Gryphon and two guys were tearing the place up on two Red Diamonds, an A and an F. My first impression was that the musicians were so outstanding they were making the mandolins sound good. As I continued listening, it became apparent the outstanding musicians were playing outstanding mandolins. I also recall the price was higher than I could ever imagin. Probably could triple your money if you'd bought them back then.

Anyone would be lucky to own one.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

I know there are more Red Diamond owners among us. If you all would just mention a serial number and year, we could begin a list.

I have no response to my email query to Don. I did see a Go Fund Me page for him from a couple of years ago, but it was not really clear that it was actually for him. But it raises the question, "Is he still an active luthier?" I don't do Facebook; I think he has a Facebook page. Is it still active?

Contact Alvin at Morgan Music. They handle all of Don's mandolins and yes he is still building and they are better than ever.

There's a list of owners on the Red Diamond website, but only serial numbers, no dates.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

FWIW, the phone number and email address on the Red Diamond website match the contact info on an email I received from Don in January of this year. I saw Don at IBMA this year, and he is indeed still building.
    David Moore

Didin't Fretboard Journal do a recent article on Don? I guess that might have been back farther than I remember.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yep, Fretboard Journal sure did publish an article on Don. Not sure how recent, though. He's one of the most sincere and nicest guys you'll ever cross paths with. I own (and not releasing) RD 259 roasted July 9 voicing and dated October 1, 2014. It's the best mandolin I've ever played.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Roberts For This Useful Post:

Thread bump. I own July 9 F5 #284R (dated Jan 13, 2018) and I would echo Jim Robert's sentiments, above, exactly.

Blog Entries

Who grabbed the Red Diamond A that was (very briefly) in the classifieds last week? Jaw dropping low price (for an RD). Made me wonder.

i have red diamond number 61;made in 1993. 1995 for number 74 sounds about right.
    geez,almost 27 years ago i got number 61. it is an f-style;his first one-piece back as i recall.