Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mandolins on airplanes

Default Re: Mandolins on airplanes

Aren’t Travelite and Gator essentially the same?

If Mandolin Cafe interviews Marshall again, they should ask him if the Loar ever flies in baggage.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

I keep a copy of this in my case when travelling. From experience, however, be careful about when you pull it out. When advised that I had a copy of the reg, one of the gate crew said something to the effect of -- so now you are getting legalistic on me, huh? I know a few rules too. Who do you think has more rules on their side? -- He let me take it, but there was a bit of stress.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Martin for this post:

Make sure you board early, and it shouldn't be a problem. A smile and friendly attitude seems to help too. Airline personnel have a tough job and not being the annoying passenger, but one who is polite and kind can go a long way.

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

sblock 

All "rules" can also go south very quickly if you have a flight that has become heavily overbooked, and the airline arbitrarily decides to allow passengers in the last 3 boarding groups only one carry-on item each. I spent over an hour alternately in nervous waiting, arguing, strategizing, unsuccessfully attempting to bribe other passengers with $50 to check an extra item - and finally, the onboard flight crew overrode the nasty gate agent in my favor, and let me board with my instrument! But enduring that situation, even though it was the first time anything like that had happened to me, has made me rather skittish about ever attempting to fly with an instrument again.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Botluk View Post
    The second trip was bringing a Gibson Army-Navy out to Phoenix in a soft gig bag. I had no problem getting it on the plane either time and experienced no problems whatsoever.
    Did you let a guy behind you play it while waiting to get off the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Make sure you board early, and it shouldn't be a problem. A smile and friendly attitude seems to help too. Airline personnel have a tough job and not being the annoying passenger, but one who is polite and kind can go a long way.
    Boarding early is not such a simple matter, at least on US carriers. Most airlines board by status and ticket price so if you have an economy ticket and no status you may one of the last groups to board. Fighting for overhead bin space has become one of the most soul-crushing parts about flying these days and it can get ugly. If they do run out of overheard space try to explain to the flight crew that you have a delicate priceless instrument (even if its really a Rogue) and see if they can stow it for you

I fly about 20 or so times a year and I bring my mandolin everywhere I fly. Normally I fly Delta, but also American Airlines, Southwest, Alaska, and Jet Blue are pretty frequent too. I've never had a problem flying with a mandolin with my hard case regardless of the airline.

I usually try to keep it under the seat. Most often that's fine though I usually put my hoodie or jacket over it so avoid the flight attendants from saying "it's gotta be all the way under sir". If they do force me to put it somewhere other than under the seat, usually there's no issues placing it in the overhead. If that's not available (which is rare given the small size of the mandolin), I've had them put it in the coat closet. I have NEVER had anyone tell me I had to check it.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5