Thread: Trying out Curt Mangan strings...

Default Trying out Curt Mangan strings...

Just placed an order for the Irv Pearman signature mandolin set and the 12.5-55 acoustic guitar set. I've been curious about Curt's strings for awhile, and have read nothing but good things about them. After asking a few questions, and getting replies within a few hours from Curt, I decided to try them out.

I was really more interested in the Jason Fraley set, which is a regular medium set with 11.5 E strings, but those are only available in a 3 pack. The Irv Pearman is similar (same gauges at the EJ74CM).

It's been awhile since I tried a different brand, so I'm looking forward to installing them.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Trying out Curt Mangan strings...

I really like Curt's strings. Not overly jangly brand new on my mandos and keep that tone for a long time. I get at least 6 weeks out of a set. I've had some on for 3 months or more before I decided they really needed changing. I like that when you call, Curt answers the phone. One of these days I'll go pay him a visit--just a few hours north of me. Great customer service too.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

3. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I gave them a shot on my MF5 and absolutely love them. Very balanced sound and feel great under my fingers. They still sound fresh with about 30 hours of use. I just ordered a few more sets and added a couple mandola sets to try when I’m ready for a string change on my ‘dola.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I have used both guitar and Mandolin strings from this company on several mandolins and guitars and they sound good and hold up well. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

6. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I have Mangan strings on my Girouard oval and love them ! The strings have been on since July and still sound great ! Well, maybe it's the Girouard I love !

I've been using the Curt Mangan Bluegrass medium set for nearly two years and absolutely love them - as others have mentioned they're very balanced and sound great from the get go, no break in period needed.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

9. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Restrung my Eastman guitar & mando with the CM strings (after getting them super quickly!). I can’t believe how quickly they settled, and my E and A courses have never sounded so in tune. The 12.5-55 guitar strings feel like lights but sound like mediums, too. I’ve only had them on a few days, but I’m extremely impressed.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

11. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I can’t believe how quickly they settled,
    Yep!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

13. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I've had the Mangan strings on my Randy Wood for about two months. They settled in immediately and the tone has remained steady. Very impressed.

I'm gonna try those Pearmans. I've recently returned to the Bluegrass set after a prolonged flirtation with Monels.
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    I'm gonna try those Pearmans. I've recently returned to the Bluegrass set after a prolonged flirtation with Monels.
    I'm getting ready to place another order for the Jason Fraley 3 pack (11.5,15,26,40) and a few sets of electric guitar strings.

Since pickup up the mando a few years ago, I've been fighting the A course staying in tune. Seriously blown away by how in tune the plain strings sound with each other.

I dunno, $9 a set plus shipping is steep. As y'all might know by now I'm a Mapes fan. I've tried Mapes' different blends and like different ones for different mandolins. $5 a set plus shipping.

They make bulk wire for all the other string makers as well as piano wire for the rest of the world. Mapes has the process dialed.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    I dunno, $9 a set plus shipping is steep. As y'all might know by now I'm a Mapes fan. I've tried Mapes' different blends and like different ones for different mandolins. $5 a set plus shipping.

They make bulk wire for all the other string makers as well as piano wire for the rest of the world. Mapes has the process dialed.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Initially , I really like Mapes strings but it didn't take long before the sound went SOUTH for me ! Nasty ! So back to GHS A270 on my Ellis ! But, our ears are all different aren't they ?

yankee,

I suppose...

The set on the Weber Fern was installed MAY 4 and they still are balanced and even sounding. (The 80-20 Brass set to be exact.)

Usually I expect +/- 6-8 weeks of normal daily practice and gig playing given I don't sweat at all and I have a fairly light touch compared to others.

I love hearing you drink wine, BTW!!!

Best,

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

If your using, or want to try out some Curt Mangan Strings, use promo code "WISEMAN20" (all caps) at checkout and you'll get 20% off your entire order. This code does not expire and can be used anytime on anything on their site.

I tested out a LOT of their strings and settled on a custom gauge set that I like a lot. 11.5, 15, 26, 40 (same as the DA EXP74 CM's). The E and A set being just a little bit heaver added some punch to the high end for me. Great strings!
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel Wiseman For This Useful Post: