Thread: What is the best time of year or season to sell a used mandolin?

Default What is the best time of year or season to sell a used mandolin?

Just curious about selling used. Is it spring time. Christmas, Tax refund time. I would guess it would be the opposite for buying.

Thanks
    Giving this another try.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: What is the best time of year or season to sell a used mandol

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Giordano View Post
    Just curious about selling used. Is it spring time. Christmas, Tax refund time. I would guess it would be the opposite for buying. Thanks
    The worst time seems to be tax season, when lots of instruments with that excuse seem to flood the market. Most of my purchases have been fueled by opportunity coinciding with stipends or bonuses, so I'd imagine Christmas time to be a better one for selling.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

One vintage dealer told me, 'gotta have enough ukes for X-mas', I think a lot of folks find that a ukulele makes a nice Christmas present. As far as individual sales go, and other instruments, I wonder! I certainly don't know the answer.

Beyond agreeing that there seems to be deals available for buyers in March and April, as tax payments come due. But that's also when refunds go out so, who knows?...
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Now.

New year is strangely OK too, given that most other retail businesses are dead Jan/Feb.

Not summer time, can't sell instruments to save your life from August-September, those potential buyers that aren't actually off sailing have spent all their money holidaying. Music is basically a winter-time hobby for a lot of folks.

6. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Whenever you have a mandolin someone wants priced attractively. The other day I saw a vintage A Gibson for well under 1k. I bought mine two months ago so....timing.

But somewhere someone will want that.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Concurring with Tavy's observation. Summer is absolutely the worst (you might think otherwise with festivals going on). With the exception of Christmas, anything around holidays is VERY slow. Back to school, is slow unless you are selling band instruments or strings.

Instruments sell best when people have free time and are not distracted with other things (vacations, sports, etc..).

And strangely, just like the UK, it is pretty good in Jan. Maybe people using X-mas money or returning gifts to buy instruments.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post: