Thread: Kentucky KM-1000

Default Kentucky KM-1000

Hey guys, I bought a used Kentucky KM-1000 about 2 years ago mainly on recommendations from here. I use it as my main stage instrument. After going through various pickups, from the Baggs Radius to the K&K Twin Fusion, I finally settled on the Fishman M300 Nashville pickup bridge, which I am very happy with. What has surprised me most with this instrument is how, after much play, it has really started to come into its own. Since I got it, I have always enjoyed its sound, but after a ton of playing this summer, it has really opened up and even gotten louder! This has been confirmed through the pickup as well. I have much more output. What is even more surprising, this is a 2001 Korean instrument. It is extremely well made, very comfortable, and holds tuning very well.

Default Re: Kentucky KM-1000

there is one for sale locally to me. i am curious to go try it out. i have mandolins--who here doesn't, but the youtube reviews sound great

I would try it out. I have been surprised by this one. And I just bought a Chinese-made KM-1500 and it is super nice, possibly better for recording, but the 1000 still is awesome, and is my go-to for live gigs.

The nicer Kentuckys have always left me wanting more, but recent events have changed my thinking. To me, the G string tone makes or breaks my view of a mandolin. Most if not all imports, Northfield excepted, have that g string sound I don't like.

Now my goal when I built my Arches kit was to equal or better the Kentucky master mandolins I could have bought for roughly the same money I have in the Arches. I was extremely happy when I strung it up in that while not as rich sound in the G string as I would hope, it was half way there, so project successful.

Over the last month, we've achieved 75% and headed in the right direction. So this leaves me reevaluating a 1050 in a different light in that I'm willing to think that playing in might correct the only issue I have with them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    The nicer Kentuckys have always left me wanting more, but recent events have changed my thinking. To me, the G string tone makes or breaks my view of a mandolin. Most if not all imports, Northfield excepted, have that g string sound I don't like.

Now my goal when I built my Arches kit was to equal or better the Kentucky master mandolins I could have bought for roughly the same money I have in the Arches. I was extremely happy when I strung it up in that while not as rich sound in the G string as I would hope, it was half way there, so project successful.

Over the last month, we've achieved 75% and headed in the right direction. So this leaves me reevaluating a 1050 in a different light in that I'm willing to think that playing in might correct the only issue I have with them.
    I don't know, what I am hearing with the KM-1000 is a nice G, has that hollow sound that F5 mandolins have. I would like a tad more volume, but the 1000 is not the biggest body, and this one has improved over the summer. Plus, I play it live with a pickup, so in some ways in doesn't totally need the excessive volume and ring of some of the top mandos. In an amplified situation that can sometimes be a detriment i.e. feedback. On, the other hand, the KM-1500 has all that and more, plus all that volume and ring. It sounds like what I am hearing on top recordings, so I am thinking it is in good company.

Kind of exactly my point. 17 year old instrument.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Kind of exactly my point. 17 year old instrument.
    My KM-1500 is of recent vintage and it sounds even better. As far as the 1050, I don't think I personally would like the wider neck and bigger frets, even though those are nice on guitar. I am coming from fiddle so frets kind of get in the way anyway!

Never had the pleasure of holding a 1500. My experience goes only so far as the 900, 1000, and 1050.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The KM-1500 has a small neck, but radius board with smallish frets. It also has a slightly larger body than the older KM-1000s. But it definitely is even in another league, possibly of the Northfields and up, nipping the Gibson F5. The fit and finish are astounding, probably more mando than I need. Once I got it, I realized I would probably relegate it to practice, recording and certain "safe" gigs, not touring.