Thread: Non-scroll headstocks on F models

Default Non-scroll headstocks on F models

I've been noticing more F body mandolins without scrolls on the headstock. I think it looks nice, and reduces the likelihood of breaking the headstock. Anybody else a fan?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Non-scroll headstocks on F models

Not me.

Blog Entries

Sure. I like the Montes and how Weber did some of theirs (Gallatin). But, I'm not a strict traditionalist.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I'm fine with nontraditional headstocks, and even really like some of them, but I've seen a couple F-style bodies with snakehead style head stocks, and that doesn't do it for me for some reason. I like the snakehead look on A styles. Just looks to unbalanced and bottom heavy to me on an F style.
    Chuck

The Fender Concert F has a very different head stock without the scroll but beautifully designed. Too bad the mandolin itself isn't up to par.

When I had to replace the neck on my F-style Gallatin. They asked if I wanted the newer designed headstock. Nope, I wanted the original “dog bone”. The wife agreed. And since it was a Christmas present from her...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando_Front.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	172311

Here is my old Gallatin. I never should have sold it. lol

8. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

My dream mandolin (maybe one day) has a different peg head. I love it!

http://www.zimnicki.com/instrument/z-mandolin/

CP Mandolins

I use a bigger, symmetrical head on my two-point and F5 mandolins and a slimmer profile om the A5s

Name:	DSCF5159.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	172315

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    My dream mandolin (maybe one day) has a different peg head. I love it!

http://www.zimnicki.com/instrument/z-mandolin/
    +1 on the Zimnicki style! That is a good looking alternative!

Smile Re: Non-scroll headstocks on F models

It immediately makes you think that they are cutting corners and for me it's a non starter. If you are going to copy this fabulous shape, then headstock is a must.

Having said that, I personally would prefer no bottom point on the body as it sticks in my leg(others have said the same) and photos without it look great.

I find it so annoying I would change to an A5 if I could find one with everything my Northfield BigMon F5 has.

Am Ellis A5 may just be the one.

When I am convinced that the shape of the headstock affects the sound of the mandolin then I will care. Until such a time it makes no difference to me. I stand with my blind friend although I am sighted " I don't care what it looks like, it's how it sounds that is important."

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    It immediately makes you think that they are cutting corners and for me it's a non starter. If you are going to copy this fabulous shape, then headstock is a must.

Having said that, I personally would prefer no bottom point on the body as it sticks in my leg(others have said the same) and photos without it look great.

I find it so annoying I would change to an A5 if I could find one with everything my Northfield BigMon F5 has.

Am Ellis A5 may just be the one.
    I had my Rigel for a while before I realized the headstock was essentially the F-5 minus the scrolls. It happened only when I saw a "broken" headstock photo and I had that eureka moment, "OH! So THAT'S what Pete was going for!". So, I wouldn't say the approach "cuts corners"; it cuts curves! AFAIK, there is no functional difference with this change...other than you don't have to worry about breaking headstock scrolls. ;-)

OTOH, cutting out the bottom point DOES make a functional difference. Not all of us play B-G or otherwise have to stand for performances. That point sure does work nicely to add stability while playing when seated. As far as "looks great", well, clearly YMMV.

I understand aesthetics are a personal thing. I simply find it funny when someone says "Oh, the look here can't change, but there it can"...especially when there is a real impact on functionality. I can't imagine someone turning down a Monteleone GA or Radio Flyer because the headstock design is not from 1911.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

While we're on the subject, notice how many F-5 style mandolins that actually don't have a scroll at the body either but something more like a hook where a scroll is traditionally placed. I consider this a cost cutting design to save the labor of a well formed scroll. Sure you can still attach a strap there but I like the scroll headstock and a real scroll on the body.

If you look at my post #7 you will see an original Weber Gallatin F model, these all came with 'as you say' a hook scroll. I personally like this type of scroll. The TOH Weber Gallatin's now have a traditional scroll, which makes them look like any other F5. The hook scroll can still be found on many other builder's mandolins and I find them sexy.

I have a Bruce Weber built Yellowstone and it is beautiful sounding and looking. If I was to get another F% model I would asked for the hook scroll. Just my $.02

Here's one I did a couple years ago. Redwood top.

Name:	EggplantMando.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	172346

18. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

yep. I once owned Nugget#223. F-style body and "haircut" headstock. Very cool imho.
    i just liked that headstock even better than the trad. F5 style;so,ordered it like that.

Love my Smart F5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 04.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	172347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 03.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	172348  
    Marc B.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Here's one I did a couple years ago. Redwood top.

Name:	EggplantMando.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	172346
    I like the headstock and non-traditional scroll. Nice looking axe!
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

===========

Call me a traditionalist - but given a choice, I still prefer the traditional body and head stock scrolls . . .