Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to sell a use instrument for...

Default How much to sell a use instrument for...

I'm thinking of selling my Trinity Octave, but I'm not sure what a good asking price for it would be. Is there a tried and true formula for this stuff?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Default Re: How much to sell a use instrument for...

All I can suggest is past sales at Ebay, Reverb, HERE, etc.....

Valuing is subjective to a lot of factors.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I have a Trinity OM too that I'm wanting to find a home for. I'll be interested in what people say.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Current Retail price is $1295 with a case. There are still some old prices floating around (that dealers may or may not actually sell at).

Used, $500 should be on the lower side. $600 would be a realistic value for one in excellent condition with case and free shipping. Shipping will be up around $50, so adjust price accordingly if charging vs doing free shipping.

*Anyone reading this in the future: This applies to 2018 only.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Em TeeFredK 

Just out of curiousity; who do you ship with? I often can't ship a regular sized mandolin for that price. I usually use fed-ex or ups.

I find USPS to be the most affordable.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I agree with Jim, check out USPS. if you set up an online account it's cheaper. I shipped a mandolin cross country a few years ago overnight via USPS and it was cheaper than anyone else's ground shipment.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Em Tee 

Blog Entries

Shipping cost for a mandolin basically depends on the size of the box, not the weight. If you can find a box that is a good fit, $35-$50 or so can get it coast to coast if you use UPs with the eBay discount. Not sure about USPS or FedEx. If you end up using a guitar box you are looking at $75 - $100.

What are mandolins worth? I just sold three. I can tell you that they are worth less than what the seller thinks.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Nov-02-2018 at 10:35am.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I'm going to recommend to everybody here to check out ShipNex.

You drop off at UPS/FedEx with a prepaid label you set up at ShipNex. They share their bulk account rates with you, so you pay far far far less than you ever would otherwise.

I've had a set of wheels and tires shipped cross country via FedEx Ground for about $150. Quote at FedEx counter was $500...

Instruments I usually ship for 30-40$ depending on where they go, with reasonable enough insurance. Worth checking out.
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

I just sold a Trinity OM this summer. $500 dollars, plus 50 for shipping. It had some light scratches around the bridge where I was shimming it up, otherwise in nice shape with Thomastik strings on it. It wouldn't sell for 600. I lost money on the shipping, as I used Fed Ex and packed it in a large box. I think it was around $80 dollars to ship from Chicago are to the southwest.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I've sold off a bunch of instruments over the last several years, all on Ebay so take this with a grain of salt if you're selling direct, or through other online retailers. To set a price, I use one of two methods depending on how much info is available.

1) I'll research the Sold listings on Ebay for the last year, to see if there is actual market information. If there is, then I'll list at the average of those prices, as long as I can afford to wait a while and re-list if it doesn't sell. Or I'll list a bit below that price if I want a quick sale.

2) If there is no market information, I use a general rule of 1/3 off current retail price if I think it's a "hot" item likely to be in demand, or 1/2 off current retail if my guess is that it's a soft market and might need a stronger incentive to sell. I try not to go under 1/2 off, but I've done it a few times for offbeat stuff that I just need to get rid of.

For anything that will sell for over $1,500 or so, I offer free shipping. That means eating $70-$100 depending on size/weight and distance, but it can make for a quicker sale. On Ebay I sell to verified USA addresses only, which limits the potential market but it makes it easier to offer free shipping (and lately, not have to worry about customs/CITES hassles).

Just out of curiosity; who do you ship with?
    The $50 is an average. It can cost a lot more (sometimes less).

My shipping program rate shops all of the carriers. In my case it is automatic, but it would be worth checking manually. It can save you $10-$20.

Fedex is typically cheaper than UPS for me. Most shipments go Fedex or USPS. I do ship quite a bit vis USPS and for certain zones it can be very economical.

For big things you can do calculated shipping and people close to you will get a big discount and be more likely to buy. This is almost a necessity if selling something like a case where the shipping can cost as much as the item. You may be able to ship it to zone 1-2 for $10, where it is $50+ to zone 8.

If you are sure you are going to sell the item, hunt down a box first. It saves a lot of stress and you can get the exact quotes ahead of time and also know if you need to find a smaller box.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Generally, if I’m in the market for a used instrument, I look for 70 percent of what it cost new as a starting point. This is assuming excellent condition, no premium for collectibility (run of the mill production instruments), and inclusion of whatever it came with new (case, candy, certificates, etc.). Deduct from that for cosmetic condition issues, missing cases, etc. I think this is a fair and reasonable guideline. In the case of the TC octave, they were available with hard case for quite a while at 799-899. Robert, is that 1295 MSRP or street price? Considering the amount of time they were 800 or so, seems like 500-575 shipped is fair.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Robert, is that 1295 MSRP or street price?
    That is the new MSRP. Street price is well below that, but I do see some crazy low prices listed at some websites. I am assuming they have not been updated.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

How in the world does Guitar Center ship store to store for $15?
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

You have to realize that volume shippers ship for a whole lot less than the normal folks. I spent 20 years in the transportation industry and there are a whole lot of players in that field now that weren't there when I was. It's competitive and they'll cut to the bone to get a big account.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    I'm thinking of selling my Trinity Octave, but I'm not sure what a good asking price for it would be. Is there a tried and true formula for this stuff? Thanks in advance for your advice!
    I agree with Don that 70% of replacement value is a good place to start. So whatcha freeing up funds to purchase, Em?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I agree with Don that 70% of replacement value is a good place to start. So whatcha freeing up funds to purchase, Em?
    I'm getting a Pono guitar body octave with a hybrid neck. Figured I wouldn't be needing the trinity after that comes in. Thinking of getting either a Nikolai Tambovsky viola or a Robert Mandel hurdy gurdy with the extra cash.

Also considering saving up for a northfield.

22. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I've shipped (and received) acoustic guitars in guitar boxes for cheap ($20 for a parlor sized guitar. Typically around $45 for most guitars. Cost me $75 to ship a very heavy Breedlove in a very heavy Breedlove case.)

Mostly use USPS and never a problem.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

FWIW, I actually did not say 70 percent of replacement cost. You can buy an instrument and over time the cost of that instrument can go up. What I said was 70 percent of what it cost new. Cost in the past tense. For example, let’s say I bought an instrument for $1000 5 years ago. Now I want to sell it. The manufacturer still makes that same model, but charges $1500 for it now. So, when I list my instrument, that means I should be able toget more than I paid for it, right? Because 70 percent of 1500 is $1050! Score for me! I can own an instrument, sell it, and that means I can use it for free and actually make a little money on it too! Sweet, right? Sorry folks, it just doesn’t work that way. I would never buy an instrument priced like that. Every day I see people listing instruments for sale on eBay and Reverb for unrealistic prices. Sure, I understand that they want to get everything out of their instrument they have into it, wouldn’t that be nice if things worked out that way? But come on people, let’s get real. Have we ever heard of depreciation? Wear and tear? What about if you sell your car? How much depreciation is there in the price of a 5 year old used car? It’s not that hard to find out the age of an instrument and what the new price was then. I pay absolutely no mind to ads where the sellers have pie in the sky dreams of what their instrument is worth. I suppose sometimes they sell one to someone who doesn’t know any better, but I urge all instrument buyers to do their homework and realize what they should be paying for an instrument. And sellers, be realistic in your expectations. I have found that, with only a very few exceptions, most sellers on our Classifieds sell at reasonable prices.

Now, please note that there are exceptions to the 70 percent guideline. One is instruments with a rarity factor. Limited editions, prototypes, models introduced only for a short time or in very small numbers but with a “cult” following, all of these types of things can demand a premium price. Then there are collectible instruments. Generally speaking these have to say Gibson, Fender, or Martin on the headstock. These are really the only 3 brands with collectibility that can lead to appreciation in value. Often this is because of interest from “investors” who may or may not be Musicians (often not). Oh, I know people collect all sorts of things. Maybe you like Japanese guitars from the 60’s, or pre Gibson Epiphones, or whatever. Fine. But the Big Three are the ones that get the vast majority of attention from collectors. Then there are instruments with historical significance, like early Bigsbys and Rickenbackers, or 19th century acoustic guitars made by companies other than Martin. Museum pieces, you might call them. There are plenty of exceptions. But for commonly available production instruments, 70 percent of price when bought new works just fine as a beginning point.

The type of instrument we are talking about often has an effect on value as well. For example, I am a hammered dulcimer player, and it is pretty easy to find nice used instruments for less than 50 percent of what they cost new. They are such niche instruments with such a relatively small number of pkayers out there, they don’t hold their value well. A nice guitar, on the other hand, might be worth 80 percent or more of new cost because guitars are so popular. Ukuleles too. Mandolins are kind of a niche but nice instruments seem to hold value pretty well. Octaves of course are a niche of a niche, but balancing that out is the fact that used ones do not come up that often. 70 percent of new works there too IMHO.
    Last edited by multidon; Nov-03-2018 at 8:06am.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    I'm getting a Pono guitar body octave with a hybrid neck. Figured I wouldn't be needing the trinity after that comes in. Thinking of getting either a Nikolai Tambovsky viola or a Robert Mandel hurdy gurdy with the extra cash. Also considering saving up for a northfield.
    I'll be interested in your take on that flattop octave. Be careful or that Northfield might become its archtop sibling!

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    FWIW, I actually did not say 70 percent of replacement cost. You can buy an instrument and over time the cost of that instrument can go up. What I said was 70 percent of what it cost new. Cost in the past tense. For example, let’s say I bought an instrument for $1000 5 years ago. Now I want to sell it. The manufacturer still makes that same model, but charges $1500 for it now. So, when I list my instrument, that means I should be able toget more than I paid for it, right? Because 70 percent of 1500 is $1050! Score for me! I can own an instrument, sell it, and that means I can use it for free and actually make a little money on it too! Sweet, right? Sorry folks, it just doesn’t work that way. I would never buy an instrument priced like that. Every day I see people listing instruments for sale on eBay and Reverb for unrealistic prices. Sure, I understand that they want to get everything out of their instrument they have into it, wouldn’t that be nice if things worked out that way? But come on people, let’s get real. Have we ever heard of depreciation? Wear and tear? What about if you sell your car? How much depreciation is there in the price of a 5 year old used car? It’s not that hard to find out the age of an instrument and what the new price was then. I pay absolutely no mind to ads where the sellers have pie in the sky dreams of what their instrument is worth. I suppose sometimes they sell one to someone who doesn’t know any better, but I urge all instrument buyers to do their homework and realize what they should be paying for an instrument. And sellers, be realistic in your expectations. I have found that, with only a very few exceptions, most sellers on our Classifieds sell at reasonable prices.

Now, please not that there are exceptions to the 70 percent guideline. One is instruments with a rarity factor. Limited editions, prototypes, models introduced only for a short time but with a “cult” following, all of these types of things can demand a premium price. Then there are collectible instruments. Generally speaking these have to say Gibson, Fender, or Martin on the headstock. These are really the only 3 brands with collectibility that can lead to appreciation in value. Oh. I know people collect all sorts of things. Maybe you like Japanese guitars from the 60’s, or pre Gibson Epiphones, or whatever. Fine. But the Big Three are the ones that get all the attention. Then there are instruments with historical significance, like early Bigsbys and Rickenbackers, or 19th century acoustic guitars made by companies other than Martin. There are plenty of exceptions. But for commonly available production instruments, 70 percent of price when bought new works just fine.
    I'm sorry to have mischaracterized your position, Don. It was completely accidental. But I do disagree with it. There are a number of brands -- Pava, Collings, Northfield -- where we have seen a rise in new prices recently impact the used market. Gibson had a major price hike a year or two back that buoyed the prices of used F9's and F5G's considerably. Now you may not buy an instrument priced like that, but others will as they are still saving 30% off of a new alternative. And unlike cars, many people actually believe that instruments improve with age and play wear.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

26. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Gibson had a major price hike a year or two back that buoyed the prices of used F9's and F5G's considerably.
    I don't follow F9's but I follow F5G's. They sell used for basically the same price now they did 6 or 7 years ago. I bought mine new in 2005.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I don't follow F9's but I follow F5G's. They sell used for basically the same price now they did 6 or 7 years ago. I bought mine new in 2005.
    It seems to me that the F9's that were available five years ago for $2K are now $2.5K and the F5G's that were $3K are now $3.5K in my unofficial and unscientific polling.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I actually agree with you to some extent Patrick. As I noted there are exceptions to my general rule. Anything with Gibson on the headstock is always subject to being affected by demand. Gibson’s particularly are noted for bringing more than their original price. I hadn’t thought about that effect with the other brands you brought up, but I suppose among mandolin players “in the know” like our members, that may be true. But of course those brands bring no interest whatsoever from non musician collectors, whereas Gibson does. Thus they are immune from that kind of influence. A nice used Northfield at a good price might get a lot of interest here, but zero interest from the type of buyer who looks at instruments as an investment.

The OP’s instrument is not rare, not a museum piece, not unusual, not collectible, just a well regarded but relatively common imported factory made entry level instrument. Therefor, devoid of the other influencing factors, I believe 500-550, 70 percent of what it cost new is fair value.

Anyone who really wants to see what their instrument is truly worth, try listing it on eBay with an opening bid of one cent and no reserve. Then you’ll find out it’s true value, which is of course what someone is willing to pay for it in an open market with no artificial restrictions.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

There's an F5G in the classifieds right now at 3400.00, a bit higher than what they generally have been selling for. It's been a 3000.00 to 3200.00 item for years. That's not a substantial bump. Again, I don't follow F9's. I do follow F5G's and highly recommend them.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber