Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Face

Default Mandolin Face

I've been watching videos of various modern mandolin greats here and there and noticed that at some point in a song many contort their face into not super flattering poses for a few licks or measures. I'll not name names to protect the amazing, but you know what I'm talking about...

Do I need to work on my mandolin groove face? How much will it improve my skills? What if my face is already like that all the time?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Face

Or perhaps more a concern, will your face get stuck that way?

And, if so, will it be an improvement?

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

3. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

You might be onto something there, Mandokismet. I was listening to a younger Chicago bluesman on the radio, telling that B.B. King advised him that he was getting pretty good on the guitar, but he should make it look as though he was really in pain when he played. Watch a B.B. King video. Does it really hurt that much to play the blues?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I suspect there's even a music and technique reason to not contort one's face while playing -- I think it can be a sign of tension, and tension kills groove.

I know I need to work on a playing expression that looks more like someone enjoying herself than someone dreading a leap into the unknown...I'd love to emulate Ronnie McCoury's wise Buddha-like smile or Sharon Gilchrist's warm, attentive look of love for the music and the people she's creating it with.

I have a video of me playing a couple of banjo instrumentals back in 1998,at a UK Bluegrass festival,filmed by a friend of mine. To use a well known US expression,i look like a Possum eating bumblebees !. Most times,players don't realise that they're doing it i certainly didn't. It's not exactly an ''attractive' look !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Hey when your feeling it who knows what face or body twitching will happen! I know I tend to do it, sometimes I'll close my eyes and just do my thing. Nothing wrong with a bit of facial contortion! Personally if your feeling it, its better than just being a stiff! Just standing there with no enthusiasm, IMHO anyway.

If feeling it and truly in the moment who cares. Make that face, smile, contort! Music is about expression....

===========

I can't stand to look at my face, even when I am not playing the mandolin . . . .

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by callmegina View Post
    I suspect there's even a music and technique reason to not contort one's face while playing -- I think it can be a sign of tension, and tension kills groove.
    The great tenor banjo player Enda Scahill addresses this in his banjo tutor books (which are really excellent. He's of the opinion that it's a sign of tension, and calls it banjo mouth. He goes to great lengths instructing on how to play without tension. I'm working on that, with mixed results so far.
    His two books have a lot of information and advice that would be beneficial to any string player. Maybe not enough to buy both books but if you have a tenor banjo playing friend ask if they have the books and see if you can borrow them.
    If you're considering trying tenor banjo, I have one that I'll be selling soon ;-)
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

11. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

I don't think it matters. Some people do it; some don't. Its the playing that matters. There doesn't have to be a right way about everything.

The late Roy Buchanan, one of those "Best guitarists you never heard of" was quoted about this topic.

"When we were doing the first album the rhythm guitarist, Chris Johnson, said to him, 'How come you look so calm and play with all that fire?'

“Roy just looked at him and smiled that angelic little smile and said, 'Because I'm screaming inside'.

I played Guitar with a band for an Irish Dance festival years ago. It was televised on NPR. I was focused on keeping a stable tempo and was bent over the guitar with my head bouncing with the rhythm. All you could see was my bouncing bald head. Never once could the viewer see my face! The fiddler in the band remarked afterward " you should look up at the camera once in a while." God only knows what my face was doing!

Funny!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I look either ambivalent, detached, or just bored. But, I'm playing mostly French cafe music, so...maybe the face is appropriate.

I've recently been wearing sunglasses in an attempt to conceal that my eyes are closed half of the time; I feel that this would alienate my audience. I really enjoy playing with eyes closed - it's very relaxing, a reverie. At the end of a piece, it's like waking up -

16. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

LOL, I tend to get a look of intense concentration if I'm playing something tough or newer to me...think Mike Singletary's eyes just before the ball's snapped. Great on a football field, not so attractive pretty much anywhere else.

I've been working on smiling when I'm playing in front of others and making some progress. Unfortunately, I rarely hit any licks worthy of "stank face."
    Chuck

Closing your eyes during a solo can give the audience a feeling that you are channeling something (wonderful) from beyond........

Or, simply wear sunglasses on stage!

19. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

I 'forgive' the greats, all kinds of odd grimaces, grunts, and groans.

As for myself, if I can achieve mouth-closed, tongue-inside, I'm doing pretty well.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

21. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

I’ve seen vids of myself on other instruments, I have the look like I’m ticked off at some invisible thing in front of me.

As Michael Franks said, “Sometimes I just forget to smile”.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    ——————————
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

I'd make any face to play like this...

2:13 & 14:22
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lH_Tevw5o

A good friend of mine,also a Bluegrass musician,asked me once while watching me play a banjo instrumental - 'why don't you smile' ?. For me,it's hard to smile while concentrating on getting what i'm playing 'right'. If i'm simply doing back-up,i can get into any facial expression that i feel appropriate,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I used to get the "smile" thing! Hey you guys are great but the mando player looks mad. Well half the time I was mad dealing with the drunk banjo player pulling the RockStar!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Don Stiernberg recommends using a 'jazz face' when hitting a chord like Gm7b5#9 (or some such )
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Working on a "contort face" or a "normal face" are equally silly.

Play and let your face do what it wants
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

How about guys who raise their leg during a solo? More common than you think........

I agree completely with Enda Scahill that facial contortions are actually a sign of tension and stress. Mine locks my jaw and boy do I feel it the next day. It is a constant and serious battle to remain relaxed EVERYWHERE. I have spent large amounts of time training my hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and neck to remain loose and limber, only to have the stress slide up just a bit higher into my jaw.

Ah who needs the comfort of relaxed confidence anyway? It's apparently more popular to make dorky faces.

Still, I heard of a fiddler who's reaction to being told to smile, which isn't always easy with a fiddle at your jaw, was to get angry. "I'm a musician, not a circus clown," he told his buddies. A constantly smiling, professional fiddler from Atlantic Canada gave me the creeps -- psychologists say that we can easily recognize sincere and insincere smiles. I love seeing a musician who appears happy, but when I go to fiddle festivals down east, many excellent fiddlers get up on stage, perhaps don't even look at the audience, and just let the music do what it will. If we're feeling facial tension, that's a problem. Otherwise, if we're neither professional nor invested in putting forth a stage persona to our audiences, I'd say don't worry about your expression. A great many blind musicians had successful careers without giving much thought to their facial expressions. On the other hand, if you're a professional blues player, see post #3, above.)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.