Thread: Help with a June Mandolin

Default Help with a June Mandolin

Greetings,

There is a June F5 made in 2001 for sale about 100 miles from me. I can't get a very good description from the owner, it's a passed down instrument. I can't find much information on the builder Charles Johnson and can't get a handle on his early builds. I'm a little busy with work right now and just got back from a 1800 mile 4 day working weekend. If any of the members could shed a little light on this and possible value, I'd be most grateful.
    Richard

3. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with a June Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by indexless View Post
    There is a June F5 made in 2001 for sale about 100 miles from me. I can't get a very good description from the owner, it's a passed down instrument. I can't find much information on the builder Charles Johnson
    Walter Johnson builds June mandolins afaik

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

A friend texted me about this mandolin. Apparently it is from the first year they were made, 2001. listed price on this one in CL is $1000, his current website lists new ones at $2750. Based on the CL pictures, I'd say he hadn't perfected his head stock scrolls. Body scroll doesn't look that tight, either. My attitude on the F style is that you buy them for the aesthetic appeal and pay extra for it, so defects count against the instrument more, too.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Lavelle For This Useful Post:

He's definitely refined his skills over the years, but the one you're looking at might sound/play great. My Silverangel Econo isn't "perfect" to look at, but, man, it's got tone and playability in spades. It may be worth the trip to try out (after you take a nap ), but no way to know other than to check it out. If it were one of his more recent builds I'd tell you to jump on it without thinking twice...

Edit: My Econo is from 2009. Ken's detail and finish work, which was pretty darn good in 2009, has improved as well with his experience. I don't mean for my comments to be taken as negative criticism of either Ken or Walter, as I have tremendous respect for both of their talents. Ken was very good early on, but, as anyone who's worked with wood will tell you, you really can't help but improve the more you build.
    Chuck

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

That's the one Skunk, I'm down south of Monterey and it's a truck to get up there.

Thanks Chuck, I'm a firm believer in playing it and listening to it. it's just removed from me with a ton of humanity in between

I heard from Walter, really nice man

As an aside I bought a Guitar from him in 2016. It is magnificent. I was at a jam and several people commented on what a great sounding guitar it was. One was a builder who works at Preston Thompson guitars in Sister Oregon. However they didn't like my playing so much. Dang.

12. The following members say thank you to Dave Hausner for this post:

A quick Update, I had great conversation with Walter Johnson the builder and he told me that one of his early mandos had been stolen here in California and could I get the serial number, when I asked the seller, the post was deleted, so unless somebody here bought a June for 1K, I think Walter helped me not get involved with a bad karma deal. Thanks to all the Cafe members who helped. I'll just keep playing my Lebeda Jazz Premium and wait for the next June to pop up.