Thread: Looking for a first mandolin

Default Looking for a first mandolin

So I've been looking for about a month for my first mandolin. I don't want to bother getting something that I would be tempted to just upgrade from after a few a few months or a year, so I've narrowed my search to solid instruments. I'm also trying to keep the cost under 300 shipped.

I came across this KM-250s on eBay for less than 300 shipped, with a hard case. While I have done enough research to know what to look for and what not to look for, I don't yet have enough of a knowledge base to know if this instrument (however old it may be) is worth that price or is pretty average for a used Kentucky.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kentucky-KM...:pf:0#payCntId

What are y'alls thoughts? Should I jump on it or let this one go and wait for a better deal?

Default Re: Looking for a first mandolin

I've owned a few low-end Kentucky's from a KM150 to a KM505. Buying online from an individual is a gamble, in general. One of my Kentucky's (maybe the KM380?) had a slight hump in the fretboard about the 12th fret that required that the action be raised higher than normal in order to avoid fret buzz at higher frets (I took the mandolin to a good shop, Mass Street Music for setup). I sold that mando (and told the buyer about the hump) and now am wearing the frets out on an Eastman MD-505 (from Mass Street Music) which has been an excellent instrument.

SO, the Kentucky's can be very good instruments, but a particular model from an eBay seller is a gamble. Personally, I buy mostly from places like Elderly and Mass Street, where a good setup is included as part of the sale, and where you won't find any unannounced and unpleasant structural problems. If it were me, if I were a new player, I'd lean toward a KM150 for $375 with setup from Elderly (a little above your target price, but you should get a setup from the eBay instrument, too) or other reputable store. Even better would be a KM505 or an Eastman MD505, which wouldn't require an upgrade as soon.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

a year ago $300.00 might have got you a nice low end Eastman or Kentucky. but now there going for about $479.00 new with out a case. look here in the classifieds, you never know what might pop up.

4. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

mee 

I agree with Tony, check cafe classifieds and/or reputable dealers advertised here. But anything $300 or under will definitely leave you with the temptation to upgrade that you are trying to avoid.

A proper setup on a mandolin is essential. Before taking a chance on a place like eBay, find out if there is a reputable place you can have it setup and how much it would cost. Just assume that you will need to bring it for a professional setup when considering your purchase.

When purchasing from a reputable dealer (the ones that advertise here are all excellent) the setup is included. Mandolins are not inexpensive. If you have a significant other, I'd suggest having someone who has a boat explain the costs in the upkeep. Then when s/he says, "no" to your suggestion for a boat… go for the mandolin.

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.

First up, that mandolin is somewhere around 2 decades old. There is nothing wrong with an old instrument. The holy grail of mandolins is now close to a century old! But you should be aware that current Chinese instruments are among the best Pac-Rim mandolins ever made. This along with the fact that a 20 year old instrument could have issues, and you are probably better off buying new. A new KM-150 is a better instrument than an older KM-250S.

Of course a well maintained older instrument is fine. For Kentuckys the best years are 2007+ and especially 2015+ and then the 1980's Japan versions. Versions made in-between that are fine, but not quite the level of really old and recent.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I had a km250....it was pretty but never could get a good sound, might have been a lemon.

I still have the first km150 I bought...it sounds great and I'll probably hold onto it. There's deals out there and this isn't the best but it's ok. 45 day returns but you will probably have to set up as they don't.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ke...n-114646764.gc
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I've played a few lower end Kentuckys and [the] Loars, which I own one (LM170), and I just gotta say that the Eastman MD305 I played was, IMHO, a lot nicer. I saw it last Christmas at a local music store on sale. I should have bought it that day but my budget was real tight.