Thread: New acoustic Amp

Default New acoustic Amp

Hi everyone, so I am an electric Mandolin artist. I play the carnatic system of music. I would love some advice on which acoustic amplifier to purchase. I have been using a Marshall MG30CFX so far. But I want to foray into acoustic amps, as I like the tone. My budget is between $200-400. I can stretch it to 500, but that will really push my wallet. 😅

Default Re: New acoustic Amp

Fishman Loudbox mini is hard to beat, IMHO.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Quote Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
    Fishman Loudbox mini is hard to beat, IMHO.
    Thank you, I will check it out

I agree with fishman

I like my Fender Acoustasonic 150, good sounding a powerful 2x8" and is very light. There is an earlier, much heavier version of it though too I believe that I can't speak to.

Aravind Bhargav:

I see avatar, so you play electric mandolin, not acoustic through amp?
    If so, don't know how much it will change an instrument if it has magnetic pickups

What is your mandolin & type of pickups?

I have heard Vathapi playing mandolin, is your music like that?

Reid
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

7. The following members say thank you to treidm for this post:

Blog Entries

I have run my Arrow G5 (Kent Armstrong pickup) through a pre-amp into a PA. It has a full sound, if a bit too percussive for my taste.

I have run my JBovier EMC5 into an AER 60, and that was very nice. It's an acoustic sound: very clean.

You might consider a little compression or a little reverb so smooth things out.

Good luck!
    Daniel

Yeah if you are playing an electric mandolin, that is to say it is a magnetic pickup system, then use a nice tube amp like the Fender Deluxe Reverb. It has superb sound and plenty of power for most small-medium venues. It is the most recorded amplifier in history.

If however, you meant to say that you play an acoustic mandolin that is fitted with some kind of piezo pickup system, then the Fishman Loudboxes are all very nice and capable.

Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by treidm View Post
    Aravind Bhargav:

I see avatar, so you play electric mandolin, not acoustic through amp?
    If so, don't know how much it will change an instrument if it has magnetic pickups

What is your mandolin & type of pickups?

I have heard Vathapi playing mandolin, is your music like that?

Reid
    You can see a great example of Aravind's playing in this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...hine-Orchestra

A very popular option these days is to go with a powered speaker. Many gig with one. If you buy two, you've got a PA. A small mixer or a pre amp completes the deal. Behringer makes a very good sounding 8" speaker we use for monitors. This is less than $200. Then there is the wonderful QSC that will break the bank.

I'd recommend finding a used, they are no longer made, Carvin AG 300. They sound to me, better than other amps on vocals. It's a three way cab, and I've played everything from bass to mandolin through one.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Yeah, after watching one of your performances I would definitely look at a Fender Deluxe Reverb. If you need something for very large venues, then look at a Fender Twin Reverb or on the smaller side of tubes, the Blues Junior. Another possibility would be a Roland Jazz Chorus which is solid state, but known for its durability, its stereo image, and its musical tone.

The Fishman Loud Boxes are not appropriate for your instrument in my opinion as they are optimized for different pickups.

You are quite good and I wish to convey my respects for your playing. Wonderful stuff.

Blessings

I don't think you need anything as big as a twin, but a good tube amp able to get a good clean sound, with reverb. The amp doesn't have to cover any venue, just get the tone and mic it into the PA if you need more. Nice playing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!