Thread: Big Mon A Style

Default Big Mon A Style

Hi folks... I was wondering if any of you own one of the older Big Mon A style mandolins? Is the body slightly larger on these as it is on the Big Mon F? Any info on this discontinued (i guess) model would be greatly appreciated. s\Somehow I have a feeling not too many of these were made...

Many thanks!

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Big Mon A Style

You could call or email Northfield. Phone: 877-367-7304 email: info@northfieldinstruments.com

I have one of these Big Mon A it is a larger body

4. The following members say thank you to Deyoung for this post:

As a side note, I'd be curious if anyone has bought or sold one of these recently. I agree I don't think there are many of these

Quote Originally Posted by Deyoung View Post
    I have one of these Big Mon A it is a larger body
    Thanks much for your post...

I had no idea they existed.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

J.Lane Pryce

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lane Pryce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Lane! So... fashioned with spirit varnish, double bound all around and an Engelman top... nice...

Hi y'all... here's an update from Northfield... fewer than 10 of these made... were not a regular part of their line... made with red or Engelman spruce and red maple...spirit varnish finish... larger body size adapted to an A style body... tapering more towards the top... schaller tuners...

I liked them. Think Northfield would entertain custom orders for a Big Mon A? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Pryce View Post
    I liked them. Think Northfield would entertain custom orders for a Big Mon A? Lp
    I can't speak for Adrian, but you will never find a nicer, more committed guy when it comes to mandolins. I'd contact him and ask if they'll make ya one. With the years of experience they've accrued since those early days I can only imagine how it would sound. If I were you I'd just find the next Northfield A5 Special that comes up for sale at a dealer... those things are incredible!

By the way... I was down in Seattle a couple of days ago at Dusty Strings and played the new Big Mon that they just received. FANTASTIC! It aced every mandolin in the shop including the other "top tier" brand F5s... no joke. I feel the Northfield Big Mon is untouchable at the current price...

I couldn't agree more. My BigMon F5 is just the best. I've had literally hundreds of mandolins of all grades over the last 45 years and it beats them all.

Having said that, I find the lower point on all F5s sticks int your leg when playing sitting down. I wish they would just remove it. Couple of pics on the net of F5s without lower point and they look great.

If there was an A5 Big Mon in Uk I'd go for it but very much doubt that. There was an A5 in Cleckheaton Music, Yorkshire but they closed around 18 months ago and although that mandolin was in the shop a long time, don't know where it went when they closed. It was a very high end A5 and possibly an A5 Big Mon but not certain. Most beautiful back on it.

Yes Northfield have done a great job but set up on mandolins (and guitars) is everything for me. People underestimate the value of set up. I can turn my wheels on the bridge an 1/8th and find a huge difference.

When I bought this Big Mon F5 I finally realised that I would never need another F5 mandolin. The Gibson F5L was always my fancy but the long extended fingerboard giving pick click turned me off it so I now feel I have bought my last high end F5. (I've said that before mind).

15. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

I couldn't find a photo of a Northfield 'Big Mon' "A" style anywhere,but i did find photos. of a Northfield "A5 Special",& what a stunning looking instrument it really is !. It might even be the one that Jimmy Powells is talking about if it was shipped to the UK ?. 'Whatever' - It's awesome !,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield A5 Special 1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	172538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield A5 Special 2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	172539
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I know where the one from Cleckheaton went! A picking friend of mine managed to grab it at a great price just before the store closed it’s doors for good.

It was an A5 master model, rather than a Big Mon, but it was a fantastic instrument - as all the Northfields seem to be.

I played it when I bought my F5S, but it was around £800 more than the F5S and I really wanted an F model.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    I couldn't agree more. My BigMon F5 is just the best. I've had literally hundreds of mandolins of all grades over the last 45 years and it beats them all.

Having said that, I find the lower point on all F5s sticks int your leg when playing sitting down. I wish they would just remove it. Couple of pics on the net of F5s without lower point and they look great.

If there was an A5 Big Mon in Uk I'd go for it but very much doubt that. There was an A5 in Cleckheaton Music, Yorkshire but they closed around 18 months ago and although that mandolin was in the shop a long time, don't know where it went when they closed. It was a very high end A5 and possibly an A5 Big Mon but not certain. Most beautiful back on it.

Yes Northfield have done a great job but set up on mandolins (and guitars) is everything for me. People underestimate the value of set up. I can turn my wheels on the bridge an 1/8th and find a huge difference.

When I bought this Big Mon F5 I finally realised that I would never need another F5 mandolin. The Gibson F5L was always my fancy but the long extended fingerboard giving pick click turned me off it so I now feel I have bought my last high end F5. (I've said that before mind).
    I agree with you about the sharp points on the Northfields... it really does gouge the leg if you rest your mandolin there. All Northfield has to do is smooth those out a bit and the issue would be solved. There's no reason for the tips of those points to be so sharp.
    Last edited by Glassweb; Nov-11-2018 at 2:11pm.

Hi Ivan. It wasn't that one. Johnny says he knows who bought it and I knew it would be a steal as they were closing. The back wasn't dark like that photo you showed. It was as nice a back as I've seen. To be honest the day we went and my mate bought a Big Mon F5, I played the A5 but it just didn't work for me on the day but I suspect due to set up because all the woods were there.

Don't know why they haven't continued with the A5 Big Mon because there are a good few Big Mon F5s going about.

One of the best F5s I ever had was made by Tom Murray in Perth, sadly now deceased. He only made one mandolin but he had a very slightly deeper body and the curve/arch started nearer the rim giving a bigger tone chamber and so my view is the 5% bigger works very well.
    Last edited by jimmy powells; Nov-11-2018 at 11:31am. Reason: typing error

Hello Jimmy - My Lebeda "Special'' is a larger than normal sized F5.The body depth is a tad deeper, & it's that that gives it a better bass response 'i think'. Sadly,unless i make a 520 mile round trip to TAMCO,i won't be playing any Northfield mandolins.

Northfield,as a 'relative' newcomer have really set the bar for superb 'factory' (sort of) built mandolins,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hi Ivan. If you are ever near Northumberland, you are welcome to try my Big Mon (providing you bring your Ellis A5 !!) I'd like to hear that one.

Jimmy