Thread: bill davis

Default bill davis

i did a local trade for a bill dsvis artist model mandolin. i normally prefer a round sound hole, i am a celtoid not a bluegrass guy but this mandolin turned out to be a lot better than i expected.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (4).jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	172149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (5).jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	172150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (2).jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	172151

i wonder how many people have played these mandolins? what details do people know abut the maker?

Default Re: bill davis

Sweet!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

That is funny G7MOF.
    I knew Bill a bit back in the day when he was building full-time. Terrifically nice man. Very clean builds and very Collings like in many ways, to my ear at least. I was truly disappointed when he stopped building mandolins. I would love to hear how your Davis sounds now that some time has passed! Thanks for sharing that information, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    That is funny G7MOF.
    I knew Bill a bit back in the day when he was building full-time. Terrifically nice man. Very clean builds and very Collings like in many ways, to my ear at least. I was truly disappointed when he stopped building mandolins. I would love to hear how your Davis sounds now that some time has passed! Thanks for sharing that information, enjoy.
    i would upload a sample but i am low tech and don't know how to do that. but it is an amazing mandolin.

I know of two Davis F models in the Wichita area, one of them played by a friend in our regular session group. Both of these mandolins are excellent instruments and prized by their owners

Blog Entries

Wow. That thing's got notes WAY on up there. It'd be a shame not to play 'em.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com