Thread: AKG P420 For home studio

Default AKG P420 For home studio

Wondering if anyone has any experience using an AKG P420 for recording in a home studio?

Good? Bad? Otherwise?

Default Re: AKG P420 For home studio

This is going to be a general answer as I have no experience with that particular mic. The plethora of inexpensive large diameter condenser mics is to me marketing run amok. They are built to look the part. They all work. AKG is a good brand.

This is what experience has taught me. Buy the next price level up. Rarely have I been disappointed doing this. My first large condenser was a Rode NT1 which was quite a good mic. I have used an NT2 now for a decade.

I bought one Shure SM 81 instead of a pair of cheaper mics when I wanted a small condenser. Later I bought a second when I could. They too have been great over the long haul. Any better and I'd have to upgrade the rest of the chain. Not going there.

I'd rather see you buy a used higher quality mic. If you can't afford more, buy a Shure SM 57, the best starter mic the world has ever seen. This is something you could use for decades.
    Silverangel A
    Michael Kelly LSFTB
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks for the input br1ck.

I currently have both a sm57 and a sm58 and was looking to purchase a condenser mic for recording acoustic instruments.

I’ve used the AT2020 and it was ok. I saw the p420 was on sale for $150 and was wondering if anyone here was using it to record their mandolin and what their opinion was.

Your statement about the AT 2020 being ok says it all to me. For long term happiness, I believe you should look into something like a Rode NT2, or an AT further up the chain. You could buy either on the used market. I see nice mics in the used cabinet at my local GC all the time. I don't think you will find anything that is going to stand out as better in the budget condenser market. All the major players know what they are doing.

Mics are every bit the disease that mandolins are. You can use this to your advantage.

I have a friend with a mic locker worth probably $20,000. We did some recording with three Manley condensers. The vocal mic went into a Manley preamp then into Apogee channel strips. Sounded like the gear it was. But like anything else, the last ten percent comes at a steep cost. But if you buy something that was $500 new for $250, you can be very happy for a long time. When I had my NT1, it was just OK.
    Silverangel A
    Michael Kelly LSFTB
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1