Thread: Reccomend a good Mel Bay book

Default Reccomend a good Mel Bay book

That Mel Bay discount banner just keeps popping up....

Advanced beginner, can read notation and tab, pick up songs fairly quickly, using pinky pretty efficiently.

So, whats a good book?
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Default Re: Reccomend a good Mel Bay book

What kind of music do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    That Mel Bay discount banner just keeps popping up....

Advanced beginner, can read notation and tab, pick up songs fairly quickly, using pinky pretty efficiently.

So, whats a good book?
    I recommend "The Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation." (And even though it says, "Bluegrass," it seems like the content would be useful for other musical styles too. Well, maybe not ideal for jazz players, lol.) At the moment, this is my "if I could only have one mandolin book..." choice. Starts out with the basics but slowly works through to double stops, cross picking, Monroe style, etc. Focus isn't on learning licks, but on learning to improvise. I have the book in my lunch bag at this very moment!
    Last edited by Doug Brock; Oct-29-2018 at 10:21am.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Brock For This Useful Post:

Not a mandolin book but I just ordered the Doug Young Fiddle Tunes in DADGAD book from Mel Bay. His book of Christmas songs for DADGAD guitar is very nice.

6. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

I'm surprised how little response this query has had. Bruce Dix's First Lessons Mandolin is good, with traditional tunes from various genres. However, you may be past this level. I found Joe's Carr's School of Mandolin Blues quite helpful -- but that's if you're into playing blues, which most mandolin players aren't. Joe Carr has other non-blues Mel Bay books too. I'd think anything by him is a safe bet. Both books have notation and tab, as well as a CD or an MP3 link.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    I'm surprised how little response this query has had.
    I think many people are waiting for the OP to tell us what kind of music he/she likes. Some fols just assume that everyone is looking for bluegrass but that is not always the case.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

If you like bluegrass Todd Collins’ Classic Bluegrass Mandolin Solos is great. All Monroe stuff from the 50s through 60s I think.

Honestly, I like it all. My speed is not bluegrass worthy at this point. So I stick with fiddle tunes that I find online. Thanks for all the responses.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Rover RM-75

There's quite a variety in this book, folk, Italian, classical themes, Irish, old time, blues and other International music:
    https://www.melbay.com/Products/9395...lin-music.aspx

Not sure about books but whatever you end up ideally they should also have some audio files to reference. Or else just listen to good players on CD or YouTube playing the tunes you like and work on the phrasing. Get yourself a slowdown software or use YouTube to do so and Lear by ear rather than notation or tab.

I guess the further question to you is what do you need to work on? Playing slower is fine but accuracy of noting and good phrasing depending on the genre s important.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    Honestly, I like it all. My speed is not bluegrass worthy at this point. So I stick with fiddle tunes that I find online. Thanks for all the responses.
    http://ericskye.com/fiddle-tunes-page/

15. The following members say thank you to Blues Healer for this post:

If you have a few idle moments, read the Wikipedia article on Mel Bay. He did play the mandolin amongst other instruments. He had an interesting life, would be interesting to read more about him.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    I recommend "The Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation." (And even though it says, "Bluegrass," it seems like the content would be useful for other musical styles too. Well, maybe not ideal for jazz players, lol.) At the moment, this is my "if I could only have one mandolin book..." choice. Starts out with the basics but slowly works through to double stops, cross picking, Monroe style, etc. Focus isn't on learning licks, but on learning to improvise. I have the book in my lunch bag at this very moment!

Does the paperback edition arrive with a CD?

Tan

I just ordered three before the sale ends at midnight. All in the classical vein, 'cause that's just what kind of a nerd I am. Marilynn Mair's 100 Etudes, one on French Baroque (Marin Marais) and one of James Oswald pieces, kind of Scottish Baroque-era stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post

Tan
    Online audio - that mostly how they do it in this century.

The Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation (Book + Online Audio)
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Nov-01-2018 at 9:16am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

B381 

Tan
    My copy has a CD.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Seems to depend on the book. One I ordered a year or so ago came with a CD, others have not.

I would guess that when they reprint it they dispense with the expense and extra trouble of including a CD. My Marilynn Mair book of techniques and exercises has online audio.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

My copy has a CD.

NutPicker,

Yours is a recent copy from where?

NutPicker,

Yours is a recent copy from where?
    BareKoala, I've had this book two or three years. I don't remember for sure where I bought it, but probably from Amazon.
    Doug Brock

Used copy of "Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation," with CD.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-ma.../all-editions/
    Doug Brock

I am not sure why you need a CD. You can download the mp3 files and then burn a CD from your computer. Unless you don't have a computer or can't burn CDs?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Used copy of "Mandolin Picker's Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation," with CD.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-ma.../all-editions/
    Two recommendations.....ordered the used book.

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Rover RM-75

My copy has a CD.
    Going with the Kindle version for now.Thanks.