Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which Monroe tunes to learn?

Default Re: which Monroe tunes to learn?

Mike, I learned a great little trick for shanks (or chicken legs, drummettes, etc.)
    Scribe through the skin down to the bone at the “foot” end using a very sharp knife.
    The meat will contract toward the “head end” and provide a great handle for carving the meat off the bone. It keeps the fingers cleaner for Mandolin playing!
    How’s that for getting some Mandolin content back into a post?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Mike, I learned a great little trick for shanks (or chicken legs, drummettes, etc.)
    Scribe through the skin down to the bone at the “foot” end using a very sharp knife.
    The meat will contract toward the “head end” and provide a great handle for carving the meat off the bone. It keeps the fingers cleaner for Mandolin playing!
    How’s that for getting some Mandolin content back into a post?
    haha well played!! and the shanks were great. tonight I got Paddy on the turnpike tabbed out , what a cool song. got some great tips off youtube from Mike Compton, and one other guy who played it in 3 speeds
    Mike Marrs

well, I got" Paddy on the turnpike" tabbed and memorized, , started at 60 bpm, got it to 80 . I play and teach banjo and know speed is only achieved at the pace that you can play it clean, so I am at 80, and will go through list to find another. The reason I wanted to do this, is to learn Monroes style of playing. Just as when I wanted to play / teach banjo, I went with Earl and Foggy Mtn banjo to learn the style, and inherit his feel . actually JD is my favorite
    Mike Marrs

There are some great resources at the Monroe Mandolin Camp site:

Lyrics and chord charts for just about everything vocal:
    http://monroemandolincamp.com/monroe-lyrics-charts/

A list of Monroe songs and tunes they recommend for camp attendees to learn (PDF download):
    http://monroemandolincamp.com/?media_dl=4530