Thread: slack key

Default slack key

I've become a fan of slack key guitar and I was wondering if there was such a thing as slack key mandolin. If so what do I need to do to play it. Thanks

Default Re: slack key

I would start by tuning down your mandolin, maybe to an open chord.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

I always tune to open C on my mandolins, GCEG. It's basically slack-key C, or taropatch C tuning.

It can be done with standard strings, but the normal A and E mandolin strings are a little too low tension to sound really good, so I string the E and G with .017 and .015 gauge strings. These strings would break if tuned up to standard GDAE mandolin tuning.

Also, I wouldn't recommend tuning standard mandolin strings down to GCEG and back up to GDAE very often, due to string breakage of the E and possibly also the A strings.

GCEG tuning on the mandolin is very nice for flat picking chord melody work, which is what I do most of the time. Having the low G string string course still at G is nice, as the low end of the mandolin is pretty consistent with other mandolins. Most people don't realize that I'm using a different tuning when I play the mandolin.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

===========

About 5 years ago my voice got 1/2 step deeper - so, ever since then, ALL of my instruments are now tuned 1/2 step down from 'standard' tuning . . . very interesting tone . . . .

I keep my guitar tuned down a full step at all times, and sometimes put my mandolin a half step down. Takes away a bit of the shimmer and jangle of the mandolin but adds depth. Give it a try.

I love slack key on OM or mandocello. To me its a style you need to use fingers vs a pick for. Hard to get the nahenahe going with a pick. For me, the mandolin is too small to finger pick. Hawaiian slack key is just about my favorite genre to play. Both instruments are in standard tuning (G-D-A-E for OM, C-G-D-A-E for the 'cello). Octave pairs on all the lower three courses.

OM:

Mandocello:

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

40bpm 

There's a couple good records of Ry Cooder with Gabby Pahinui that might be inspiring.