Thread: Dean Mandolin

Default Dean Mandolin

Does anyone know anything about Dean Mandolins? I found one on my local classifieds page for 125 that was recently set up at the local acoustic shop and comes with a gig bag. I tried looking for information on Dean mandolins here, but aside from a couple mentions of some weird experimental designs from a couple years ago I couldn't find anything. The only ones that they make now are all acoustic-electric. I assume that this one is a spruce laminated instrument, but that's all I can gather. Has anyone played one or know anything about their mandolins? I've played a couple of their guitars, which were pretty nice considering the cost, but I know that companies that makes quality guitars don't always make quality mandolins.

The link for the mandolin I'm considering is below.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54049167

Default Re: Dean Mandolin

In my opinion, these laminated instruments are pretty much all the same and not generally worth it. I'd suggest going for a used Kentucky KM-150 or a RM-50, both very highly regarded instruments. They pop up used on the classifieds and eBay frequently. If you are dead set on a laminated/cheap instrument, get the cheapest you can! They're all made pretty much the same (pressing the top.) I'd go for a ~$40 Rogue. Good luck!
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Theo W. View Post
    If you are dead set on a laminated/cheap instrument, get the cheapest you can! They're all made pretty much the same (pressing the top.) I'd go for a ~$40 Rogue. Good luck!
    On that same site the OP linked, there is this Rogue mandolin for $20. Buy yourself a new set of strings for $5. Maybe you might need to bring it for setup or not.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've never tried a Dean mandolin, but I have played Dean guitars, something I won't bother to do again. If you just want something to bang on, grab the Rogue. If you are serious, a Rover RM-50 from Elderly is only a few dollars more. All solid woods and Elderly sets it up for you. If you can triple the price, go for the Kentucky. It's worth it. I can't advise wasting that much on a plywood instrument though.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Like they say, many mandolin like objects are cranked out cheap.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    On that same site the OP linked, there is this Rogue mandolin for $20. Buy yourself a new set of strings for $5. Maybe you might need to bring it for setup or not.
    And the Rogue has a case and book....
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75