Thread: Weber Gallatin Special Edition 2009 on eBay

Blog Entries

Exclamation Weber Gallatin Special Edition 2009 on eBay

Interesting listing at https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Weber-G...EAAOSwy2pbqkpj

Price is $841 for a model that seems to sell for about $2,000+ normally. They list a couple of very minor cosmetic flaws, but I'm having trouble seeing why it's that cheap. Any comments?

TIA

Michael

Default Re: Weber Gallatin Special Edition 2009 on eBay

Looks like that is just the current bid, not the expected sale price. Plus, there appears to be a reserve, which means the owner is expecting a much higher price and is usually not willing to sell it under a certain price. It will probably go for more.

+1. Notice the listing says ”Reserve not met.”, which means there is no way that’s it’s going that cheaply.

I don’t understand why people don’t just list the starting bid at what they will accept, instead of making people try to guess some kind of secret reserve.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Blog Entries

I think this one has already had one go-round and ended at maybe $1300 or $1500, something like that, but "Reserve Not Met". I agree with multidon on reserve auctions. I rarely even read the listing if I see "Reserve Not Met". It's a bid killer for me. At least with a high starting bid, I know where I stand when I consider what I might be willing to pay. Seeing that "Reserve Not Met" pop up again after my bid is kind of like a slap in the face.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

A reserve is a way to ensure you get your minimum price without setting the price high to start. It can sometimes encourage bidding and sometimes not. I have used it at times as a seller. Mostly these days I just set a Buy It Now that I am comfortable with, and negotiate from there if I am willing.

I see nothing that would put me off bidding on it - the chip out of the neck is a nothing, and the spot by the sound hole looks like a scrape. No big deal. If I didn't already have a Weber I would be bidding at that price!

===========

Someday . . . someday . . . .

Past auctions for the same mandolin can be found here. It tells a story.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Past auctions for the same mandolin can be found here. It tells a story.
    Good research, Mike! Yep, it looks like it has been bid up to $1335 before and he didn't take it, as it didn't meet his reserve. His Buy It Now is $1800, so I guess that tells you where the "sweet spot" is. Then again, this is the FIFTH TIME he has run the auction, so he might be a little hard to deal with, just reading between the lines, IMHO.

You can buy a new one at $1800 (Oops, my bad...its an 'F' style, mine is an "A"). Never mind.

Blog Entries

I think two years ago, $1800 would not have been a bad price. But the market is pretty weak nowadays.

I just sold a mandolin on eBay and was pretty disappointed. Not many page views and only a couple of bids. Went for a steal (yeah, I know, that's why people establish a reserve price). But I also just sold a banjo. I pretty much got swarmed. Wish I had more banjos to sell. I guess we mandoliners need to accept our place in life. It's tough to admit that we are beneath the banjoers in the grand scheme of things.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

He might be asking too much. What is the new price of this mandolin? I have found with musical instruments that you might only get 1/2 of new price, or better, depending on demand, condition, rarity, etc. Selling used one cannot expect to get what a new one would command, since there is no support after the sale.

He might let if go for $1500 - $1600, since he didn't left it go at $1335 and the "buy it now" was $1800.

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I think two years ago, $1800 would not have been a bad price. But the market is pretty weak nowadays.I just sold a mandolin on eBay and was pretty disappointed. Not many page views and only a couple of bids. Went for a steal (yeah, I know, that's why people establish a reserve price). But I also just sold a banjo. I pretty much got swarmed. Wish I had more banjos to sell. I guess we mandoliners need to accept our place in life. It's tough to admit that we are beneath the banjoers in the grand scheme of things.
    Wide is the gate and broad is the way to banjo. Narrow is the gate and rough is the way to mandolin.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

It only bid up to $1125 this time around, which did not meet his reserve and he has relisted it, AGAIN! NFI

I think he has determined through weeks of bidding the actual value of this instrument, but won't accept it, IMHO.

OTOH, if it were consigned to a shop where people could try it out, it may bring a better price....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisfiddler View Post
    Looks like that is just the current bid, not the expected sale price. Plus, there appears to be a reserve, which means the owner is expecting a much higher price and is usually not willing to sell it under a certain price. It will probably go for more.
    Makes a lot of sense. I didn't notice the "reserve not met" note. Cheers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I see nothing that would put me off bidding on it - the chip out of the neck is a nothing, and the spot by the sound hole looks like a scrape. No big deal. If I didn't already have a Weber I would be bidding at that price!
    That's what I was thinking as well. Except for the part where I don't already have a Weber. :-)

a gallatin is the bottom of weber's line. (still very good mandolins) so it's not nearly as hot in the market as a yellowstone or even a bitteroot. i think he's stubborn on his price, which is his right but it isn't going cheap. i had an older bitteroot with the mahagony back and sides and sold it fast for $2000 cad. about $1500 usd. i got it in a nice trade so i wasn't greedy and i prefer oval hole gibsons. he is not likely to sell that quickly.

but the horror of having slipped below banjo players. but they can't read so they'll never find out.

I'm still on my first mandolin when I started 6 years ago(Kentuck KM-250). The Gallatin charmed me the most when I tried it a couple times and was going to be my next (supposed to be my present to myself when I finish paying off a mortgage...) Like the price, or what it might be, but not sure about purchasing off ebay.