Thread: Volume of oval vs f-hole for Irish session music

Blog Entries

Question Volume of oval vs f-hole for Irish session music

New opportunity for me, caused by some idiot stealing my mandolin out of the back seat. I do get amusement out of imagining the reaction when the thief tries to sell my a Rogue RM-100 in a pawn shop, but have a question.

I played this for several years in Irish sessions and loved the brash, big sound that could be heard even in a crowded session with lots of fiddles, banjos, etc. Now I'm looking for a replacement and wondering about that volume. Are there major differences between f-hole and oval hole for tone and/or volume? Wondering, as I ponder the possibilities.

TIA

Default Re: Volume of oval vs f-hole for Irish session music

Different projection but my Eastman oval is loud, in a different way.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Yes there is a difference in sound. Some will say oval hole mandolins are quieter, but that has not been my experience. I think they generally have accentuated bass response compared to F hole mandolins, but my oval hole mandolins are just as loud when I want them to be. But it is also dependent on the particular instrument.
    Time for a trip to Olde Town Pickin Parlor and Denver Folklore Center and play some mandolins.
    I'd suggest you take the opportunity to upgrade. My pick for a lower priced yet great sounding and easy playing mandolin for Irish sessions would be the Kentucky 200 level oval hole. KM-270, KM-272 & KM-276. All the same instrument but with different color finish.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1_12_179.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	172177

Might checkout the Eastman MD-304 as well
    https://www.denverfolklore.com/shop/...-x29835574.htm

Name:	eastman_md_304_front_full.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	172176

If you have the means, this Pete Coombe oval is awesome!
    http://www.picknparlor.com/mandolins...oombe-mandolin

Name:	Peter+Coombe+Mandolin+(1+of+4).jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	172175

I'm happy to meet up and you can try out my Kentucky KM-272, and Collings MT2-O, to get an idea of how oval hole mandolins sound. I also have several F hole mandolins to try side-by-side. Send me a PM if you're interested.
    Al

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm planning a trip to the Olde Town Pickin' Parlor after work. The Denver Folklore Center is quite a drive for me, but I may look at popping in there next week.

I probably should mention that I mostly strum, I don't pick like a Bluegrass player would do. My favorite pick is a Jim Dunlop .73mm, though I have a lot of other options as well. Any guidance along that line is welcome.

Dave Sheets

A good oval hole can be as loud as an f hole instrument, but their tonality is very different. One of the things an f-hole mandolin typically does is "cut" meaning that it's tonality is such that it is easily heard over other instruments. The more "rounded" or "fatter" tonality of an oval hole mandolin often doesn't cut as well. If you play them side by side, the two may be equally loud, but in a jam the instrument that cuts better is easier to hear in the mix.

I love the sound of an oval hole playing solo, but in a larger group, the f holes have some advantages.

So think about what matters to you in the instrument, maybe take a guitar picker with you to the store to see what the different mandolins do playing with a guitar
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

7. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sheets View Post
    I love the sound of an oval hole playing solo, but in a larger group, the f holes have some advantages.
    Thanks, that helps a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    My pick for a lower priced yet great sounding and easy playing mandolin for Irish sessions would be the Kentucky 200 level oval hole
    Just curious. Dave Sheets says the f-hole will cut through the noise in a session better, but you recommend the oval hole. Can you elucidate? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpthompson View Post
    I probably should mention that I mostly strum, I don't pick like a Bluegrass player would do. My favorite pick is a Jim Dunlop .73mm, though I have a lot of other options as well. Any guidance along that line is welcome.
    If you're playing strummed accompaniment with chords and not picking the melody line, then I think the requirements are a bit different than how we usually discuss mandolins for Irish sessions.

I like the way my F-hole mandolin has a clear and not too "warm" tone for starting and leading sets with melody, but it might be a bit too brash and distracting if used for chord accompaniment. I do sometimes play chord backing along with a player of Scottish smallpipes, but that's a unique situation where a mandolin is lucky to be heard at all!

If I only played strummed chords in Irish sessions, I think I'd want a tone that would blend in with guitars and bouzoukis, something with a "warmer" tone and more harmonics than the one I'm using now. Probably an oval hole, maybe even a flat-top, although I haven't personally heard any flat-tops with enough volume to hang in with a typical fiddle-heavy sessions.

11. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Dave Sheets

How much "blend" vs. "cut" you want from a mandolin in playing with guitars and bouzoukis is an interesting question. It does come down to taste, style and how subtle the session or band is. If it is a really noisy group, than if you want to be heard, you want an instrument that will cut a bit more. A quieter or more subtle group may value a good blend, and leave enough room so everyone is heard. It is one of those things you have to decide on as a player, what works for you and doesn't annoy your friends (much at least ).

It's not always obvious how well a mandolin is going to cut when you play it alone (though the bark you get from a strong f-hole mandolin is unmistakable), it helps to hear somebody else play it, or to play with someone else and listen to how it fits with the other instrument. Some oval holes cut better than others too, so don't rule them out, try a couple.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpthompson View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies! I'm planning a trip to the Olde Town Pickin' Parlor after work. The Denver Folklore Center is quite a drive for me, but I may look at popping in there next week.

If you're looking for more volume in a session setting you might want to try to a heavier pick.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

PS- flattop oval is a good consideration

16. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I played a snakehead Gibson oval for many years in string bands but when I switched to my Flatiron A5 style, aside from the tone change, the main difference was that I could hear my playing better, in other words the sound projected back to me as well as forward to the mic and audience.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

My experience in sessions , playing tunes rather than chords, is that the F-hole projects further forward but the oval-hole blends better, and you can hear yourself better.

A Tone-Gard also helps with both types - both in overall sound, and hearing yourself.
    Bren

I like the sustain of the oval and sitting around the house playing songs with no double stops I prefer the oval. But playing in our group where I do play a lot of double stops I prefer the F holes. As far as volume I don't think there is that much difference between the two.

I second the vote for the Coombe oval in Arvada. I loved it, great condition, plays wonderfully, and sounds great. BTW, Peter informed me that the top is Englemann and back and sides are Tasmanian Blackwood.

Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

Cue the outraged replies.
    The shape of the hole is insignificant compared to wether the fretboard is 'floating' like an F5 or fixed to the top like an F4.
    Comes down to what you like and the individual instrument.

In any case, there aren't many mandolins that can be heard over the 5 fiddles all scratching away with different ornaments and bowings or the banjos slapping away with sloppy trips all over the place. Not to mention the guitar players with 6 month old strings that won't intonate any more all strumming away. I'm only half joking, but at least I'm smiling about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    In any case, there aren't many mandolins that can be heard over the 5 fiddles all scratching away with different ornaments and bowings or the banjos slapping away with sloppy trips all over the place. Not to mention the guitar players with 6 month old strings that won't intonate any more all strumming away. I'm only half joking, but at least I'm smiling about it...
    True, but that point, it's all about learning to love the "ping."

That initial note attack is our only contribution at that point, with all the subtleties of warmth and resonance buried under the loud sustaining instruments and strummers. It works well enough if your mandolin has "good ping," and that may be a mandolin that doesn't sound warm and sweet for playing solo at home, or in a smaller and quieter session.

My Lebeda F style isn't especially warm-sounding when played solo, but it has a fairly strong pitch fundamental in the timbre, which helps when a session escalates to the point that it's only the "ping" that's heard.

Playing technique matters too. I was at a house session this week where I loaned my mandolin to a fiddler for a few tunes, just to try it out. He has a vintage Gibson oval hole mandolin at home, but his main strength is fiddle and guitar. I was surprised at how hard he hammered the strings. More forceful and louder than I play the same mandolin (Lebeda F style). I can't hit the strings that hard or I lose speed and the ability to throw in a treble ornament here and there.

It left me wondering if maybe that technique was to compensate for the relatively quiet tone of his old Gibson oval hole? Or if it was just his natural approach to mandolin. At any rate, I have no doubt that with that technique, his old Gibson would be heard as well as my F-style in a session.

24. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rdodger99 View Post
    I second the vote for the Coombe oval in Arvada. I loved it, great condition, plays wonderfully, and sounds great. BTW, Peter informed me that the top is Englemann and back and sides are Tasmanian Blackwood.

+1 on the Pete Coombe oval mentioned here.
    A great instrument! If I didn't already have 2 ovals, I'd be laying money down for it.

I would check out a Girouard oval if an oval is what you are interested in ! A lot of sustained volume from my Girouard oval A.

Technique makes a huge difference in both volume and being heard. Marla Fibish plays an oval hole A model Gibson and can be heard well in most sessions. She plays a rounded 1mm Clayton pick - it was worn away, but the Wegen 1mm seems to mimic it well.

She is very particular about grip, arm placement and posture. I suggest you consider either Skype lessons, catching her at a camp/festival or using her youtube lessons. I have found them very helpful.

I use my F5V for all sorts of music with no problems. I have found that I use different picks for different styles of music. For OT I use a triangular BC 60 and for bluegrass, a rounded one. I found that the BC chip did not suit my style of Irish playing.

Mike

Backing in an Irish session isn’t done on a mandolin. Backing is on bouzouki, guitar or piano. If you want to play in sessions either learn melody on mandolin or get a guitar or bouzouki and learn backing.

I prefer oval hole for ITM and OT tunes, I like the warmer sound. I don't think it is necessary to have to "cut" through the session in order to play melodies, your session should allow you to kick off a song, or play an entire part before the fiddles and such step all over the mandolin. And if the backing is being mainly handled with a guitar or bouzouki, then there is even less need to cut through. What you do with the mandolin, strumming wise, should mix and compliment the rhythm, not step over it. This is assuming you aren't the only person playing chords.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

30. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the fascinating information!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

12-fret transverse oval
    15-fret x-braced oval
    15-fret x-braced f
    15-fret parallel f.

So easy to make this binary, but it's not!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A