Thread: Norman Blake-Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South

Default Norman Blake-Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South

Do you read standard notation?

It's been a lofty goal of mine to transcribe the Norman Blake album "Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South" for some time now. I think I got a good rough draft done. I'm looking for some like minded, Norman Blake obsessed, mandolin players that could take a look at it and see if there are any egregious errors. I know that I really need to figure out all of the parts to Natasha's Waltz, I only have the lead mandolin part so far.

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you for your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Black

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Black For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Norman Blake-Original Underground Music from the Mysterious S

FYI... if you're not a record person, This album is the first 12 tracks on the Natasha's Waltz cd.
    Last edited by Mike Black; Oct-25-2018 at 4:10pm.

This is a highly underrated disc and well worth anyone's time who is interested in using mandolin for old time music. No, it's not bluegrass, and the mandolin's place is entirely different in the mix. It's mandolin heavy, which is quite a change, and relies on instrumental interplay rather than slick leads, much like the mandolin music of the early 20th Cen. The ensemble is the focus. Excellent picking throughout.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zookster For This Useful Post:

I had the vinyl when it first came out, this record changed my life. This is in the top 3 on my desert Island list, I have played Peezlewhister, Walnut River, Pig on the engine, Third street Gypsy Rag, Natasha's Waltz, Georgia Home and Dusty Rose. I would be interested in reviewing your interpretations. My band has attempted Walnut River a few times, but I wouldn't say we were able to do it justice yet. I know Matt Flinner and Dave Benedict did New Brick Road on you tube.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

7. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

I have played several Norman Blake tunes, but I did not know this record.

Luckily this is available at youtube:

Maybe I can find some other tunes to play!
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post:

Hi Mike, I too love those recordings. Do you know Carl Jones that plays on the record? He's a great guy and I wonder if he'd be interested. I saw him just last weekend at a gig. You should be able to contact him through his website: http://dittyville.com/

Cheers,
    Zack
    Member since 2003!

11. The following members say thank you to mingusb1 for this post:

I missed this thread when Mike first started it but it's exciting to know that someone has finally transcribed the music from this incomparable album. This record was on the same level for me as the first DGQ album. I've written many a tune trying to recreate some of the vibe of what the Blakes and Peter Ostroushko (plus Carl Jones and Larry Sledge) came up with in the early 80s.

To me this is really late 20th century mandolin orchestra music of the highest caliber. I've often encouraged members of mandolin orchestras to chart some of these tunes. It's something I'm not very good at. The Montana Mandolin Society did a fine recording of Blake's March on their 2006 Dance of the Sandhill CD.

(I wrote a piece for the Atlanta Mandolin Orchestra a few years ago that was an attempt to capture some of the Mysterious South albums' spirit that I cleverly called "The North Georgia Hills." It's a pale imitation of the real thing but the AMO liked it. It was also recently recorded by my pals in the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra and Trekel in Germany has published the sheet music.)

If I was Mike Black I might reach out to Peter O. and see if he is interested in looking over the music. I was at a workshop with him at a CMSA convention a few years ago where he talked about the genesis and recording of that album and it was clear that he had a lot to do with "orchestrating" things. We all know that he's dealing with serious health issues but he might find a project like this interesting.

Having said that, I'm not sure how to contact Peter but probably some Cafe members do. Just a suggestion.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

I was driving home from the store this evening and had a pleasant surprise. I heard Norman's unmistakable guitar on the radio. It was a broadcast of a concert he did here in 2012. On that concert, I backed him up on three tunes: T.A.G Railroad Rag, 3rd Street Gypsy Rag, and The Old Virginia Reel. Norman ended the show playing Coleman's March, Prettiest Little Girl in the County, and McMitchen's Reel on unaccompanied guitar. He is one of the few people who has a sound that is expansive enough to perform a medley of tunes solo and make it sound complete.

I did not know that this recording existed. It may be the latest concert recording of Norman Blake that exists.

The last time I spoke to Pete O., he was still recovering from his stroke and had a long way to go. I don't know if he is able to contribute to a project such as this.

I briefly spoke to Norman last week. He is now 81, and is in good health.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

A friend of mine made me a cassette of Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South. On a 24 hour drive, I discovered the tape in the truck and popped it in. I think it stayed in for about 12 hours straight--I had never heard anything like that before. It was the inspiration for my Hillbilly Chamber Music recording.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Norman ...is now 81, and is in good health.
    This is good to know. Many happy returns for him and Nancy.

I have the record. I remember playing it for a friend of mine in my university dormitory room. She commented on the record that she sees eastern european people dancing through the room. I could see her point.

I like stuff like "Billy Gray" better. There´s something going on when you have a guitar and a cello... But that´s me.

Norman Blake (like Doc Watson, Clarence White, George Shuffler and Tony Rice - maybe even in that succession) will allways be an inspiration for me.
    Olaf

19. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post

It's been a lofty goal of mine to transcribe the Norman Blake album "Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South" for some time now. I think I got a good rough draft done. I'm looking for some like minded, Norman Blake obsessed, mandolin players that could take a look at it and see if there are any egregious errors. I know that I really need to figure out all of the parts to Natasha's Waltz, I only have the lead mandolin part so far.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Black
    Could you send me the tabs too?
    Gibson F2 1916
    Hartmann A Oval 2017
    Hartmann Two Pointer 2018
    Kimble J 2020

Hey, Mike. Not sure where you stand today. I’m just starting to work on New Brick Road and am struggling to figure it out from the recording. I’d love to have a copy of your sheet music and tabs if you have them.

I don't know if Mike has attempted Peezelwhister - this seems close - though I'm sure there is more going on in the mandolins
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peezlewhister.pdf  
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

23. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

I’m sure he has found someone to go over it by now. That’s a rather large project, to transcribe that entire album.

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Thanks in advance!

Mike Black
    Just stumbled onto this thread. Whatever happened with the transcription project? I'd be very interested in acquiring a book of the transcriptions!

Can't speak for Mike but there are some transcriptions out there.

There is Tab on Mandozine - Flinner / Benedict? Strangeland and others have TAB of Walnut River, Third Street Gypsy Rag, New Brick Road, Dusty Rose, Blake's March Georgia Home.
    The only ones I'm not aware of are Old Time Fiddler's Roll Call and The Tonality, and Pezzlewhister ( other than my own) and Pueblo. I Think there is a Natasha's Waltz out there somewhere.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Philips View Post
    Just stumbled onto this thread. Whatever happened with the transcription project? I'd be very interested in acquiring a book of the transcriptions!
    For the record, I'm not selling anything. I'm just offering these to anyone interested. Norman's tunes and specifically this album, hold a special place in my heart. I just want these tunes available for others to learn and hopefully spread Norman's tunes to more people.
    Last edited by Mike Black; May-13-2020 at 10:54am.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Black For This Useful Post:

Hiya Mike - having been a fan of this record for as long as I can remember being able to play a tune, I'd love to see your work. I too think these melodies need to be out there.
    best and many thanks
    Luke

For the record, I'm not selling anything. I'm just offering these to anyone interested. Norman's tunes and specifically this album, hold a special place in my heart. I just want these tunes available for others to learn and hopefully spread Norman's tunes to more people.
    Mike, I would be very interested in these transcriptions!

Mike,

I’m also interested in the transcriptions, if they’re still available.

Thanks,

Bill

Blog Entries

Mike I would be interested in these transcriptions as well, fantastic album.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Mike, I have owned OUMFTMS vinyl since sometime in the 1980's and it has always been a favourite mandolin album. Last August I did a weeklong old time mandolin class with the wonderful Carl Jones at Nimblefingers Bluegrass & Oldtime Workshop in Sorrento, BC. Carl talked some about his work with Norman Blake and others.

I would be very interested in transcriptions of any of the tunes on the album.