Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manzanita

Default Re: Manzanita

Ivan, it’s worth that price.

Opening song “Old Train.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJnnHGcR8tk
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

2. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Possibly the best version of Old Train ever!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

T's comments on the project from "Still Inside":

“The core band was supposed to have been Crowe, Sam, Ricky and Flux. It would have been like The New South, with Todd Philips on Bass and Sam Bush on fiddle.”

“It was a bluegrass sound like had never been heard before.”

“I had actually started the album, eight or nine tunes at least, in September of ’77 or so, with Grisman, Bill Amatneek, and Darol Anger as the primary band. We did “Little Sadie,” “Blue Railroad Train,” and the classic tunes, but it just wasn’t there. I was so displeased with what was coming down that I canned it and threw it away.”

“The name of the title track came from when my father was in jail in Los Angeles. I was a kid. He brought home this lamp he’d made of Manzanita. I always thought it was such a pretty lamp. When I’d written the tune, I don’t know why, but the memory of him came to mind. Plus, I was surrounded by Manzanita-in Marin County, it was everywhere.”

The song “Manzanita” was based on a tune called “Afro Blue,” written by a Cuban percussionist named Mongo Santamaria, one of his most requested songs. If you listen to “Afro Blue,” you’ll hear similarities in the structure of “Manzanita.” It kind of came out wrong, because the idea was to have a very well-defined stop to dead silence, and then have the next soloist come in whenever he wanted to without regard to pulse.

“Skaggs played the fiddle solo on "Old Train" and it was breathtaking. I mean, he nailed that f****r.”

But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fretbear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Doc - I know that the 'Bluegrass Guitar Collection' is a compilation disc - i already had a few of the recordings from which certain tracks were taken. I'm also aware that 'Manzanita' was a self contained recording. I might indeed just check it out, although at the Amazon price of £16.70 UK ($21.50 US),i'm inclined to let it pass - but i'll check out a few other sites,
    Ivan
    Ivan - remind me of your snail-mail address - nudge-nudge!
    Ray

Yeah, I'm listening to it right now. Haven't for a bit. This was a "formative" album when our bluegrass band was getting into it. This was the sound we wanted. Add in the original DGQ's stuff. I still hope to get there.

Interesting insight Fretbear!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I have a cassette tape somewhere from a live show with Tony, Ricky, Sam, Jerry and Todd. I was told that it was recorded at the Great American Music Hall right after the Manzanita session. I think that Ricky makes reference to just finishing recording. He also says that he has to borrow Sam's mandolin because he doesn't have one.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

From Chris Bowsman - " Ivan, it’s worth that price. " Hi Chris - I might think the same if i'd heard it,but i haven't !. I buy recordings which contain music that i'd maybe like to learn to play myself. I've let many recordings go in the past knowing that the music is ''good'' - but !. They'll usually be what i call Bluegrass ''offshoot'' types of recordings ie.not Trad. Bluegrass They're usually nice to listen to,but not the style for me. I have recordings by ''The Dave Grisman Quintet'' which maybe these days,i wouldn't buy for the reasons i've given. They were bought prior to my taking up mandolin. Now that i've been playing mandolin for 13 years - i need music which is accessible to me to be able to learn by ear,& it has to be Trad.Bluegrass orientated.

If i can find a copy of the CD at a reasonable price - i will buy it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, click the link I provided above. I think the entire album is available to hear on that page.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

12. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Hi Chris - No,it's just the title track,but many thanks,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Tony played the Ovation only on the tune "Manzanita", not on all tracks.

Thanks to my fellow UK Cafe member,Ray (T),i've now heard a few mp3's of the 'Manzanita' album,& i agree with what all of you have said about it - apart from the title track !. 'Old Train' seemed to set the 'feel' of it for me - played in the key of 'F maj',it's a dickens of a thing to get your fingers around at the first hearing,but i managed most of it. A nice version of Norman Blake's song '' Ginseng Sullivan'' as well,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

When I tried to get the band to play this, one (former member) thought it was "elevator music".
    Couldn't disagree more and too each his own.
    Tipper is a great tune and Tony playing traditional BG can't be beat, but I was always drawn to his "dawg playing".
    I remember walking up to the stage on a hot summer day at Grey Fox when it was in Hillsdale. Tony and his band( Jimmy Gaudreau, Todd Phillips, and Wyatt Rice) came on stage and Tony said "I'd like to open with a tune by my good friend David Grisman" and they launched into Puppville, my jaw was sore after I picked it back up off the ground.
    The band does do Old Grey Coat, Gasology and we have attempted Manazinta a few times, but as the guitar player says - got to count the sh** out of that one!