Thread: 6 Nuggets Spotted at Great Lakes Music Camp

Default 6 Nuggets Spotted at Great Lakes Music Camp

I had the pleasure of attending the Great Lakes Music Camp put on by Jason Wheeler and his crew of amazing instructors out in Michigan. It was a super great time.

One of the highlights of the trip for me was the opportunity to photograph and document all of the guitars, fiddles, banjos, mandolins, and other assorted instruments that attendees brought to the camp.

One notable visitor was the venerable Mike Kemnitzer, who brought along a couple of instruments for folks to try. So here is a breakdown of what I found!

Nugget Mandolins - A5 Junior 2014 [View On Ruttlist]

Mike brought along his personal A5 Junior, which was a fantastic mandolin. I got to borrow this one for a while, and it was a treat. If you can find a Junior for sale, get one.

Nugget Mandolins - A5 Standard 2014 [View On Ruttlist]

He also brought along an A5 Standard that *used* to be a Junior. He upgraded the trim, and will be bringing this around with him as he travels as a demo instrument for folks to try out.

Nugget Mandolins - Two-Point Deluxe 1991 [View On Ruttlist]

Don Julin was there, and brought along his amazing Torch and Wire Two-Point Deluxe. Probably my favorite of the bunch.

Nugget Mandolins - F5 Deluxe 1979 [View On Ruttlist]

And Don's old F5 "The Gibson" also made an appearance, wearing a pickguard and currently in the care of Jason.

Nugget Mandolins - A5 Standard 2016 [View On Ruttlist]

Joe Walsh brought along his A5 Standard, which was the clear winner amongst the A mandolins at this event.

Nugget Mandolins - F5 Standard 2017 [View On Ruttlist]

Last but not least was this 2017 F5 Standard recently purchased by another Michigan area musician.

I'm hoping to do more events like this throughout the coming years, with a focus on improving my playing--but also starting to get some nigher high quality images of the instruments we all love so much.

Hopefully this crew of Nugget enthusiasts here at the Cafe will enjoy the images!
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scott R For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: 6 Nuggets Spotted at Great Lakes Music Camp

Thank you for an excellent post and photos, Scott R. I ordered my first Nugget in 1986 and Mike's work has been my constant companion since. I've owned #159 twice, but now only #233 ordered by my current wife for me the day after we were married in 1994 (it's a 2001). I will always own other mandolins, lots of them, but my current 2001 F Deluxe will next be owned by someone else after I'm dead.

You could say I sort of wear the brand on my sleeve.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 6 Nuggets Spotted at Great Lakes Music Camp

Thanks Scott R. It was a real pleasure meeting you at Camp and a kind gesture of you to photo-document not only those beautiful Nuggets but all of our beloved personal instruments as well. As if my MAS wasn’t stoked enough, I now get to stare at all these lovely mandolins and hear their siren call.