Thread: Loar in Vintage Guitar Mag price guide

Default Loar in Vintage Guitar Mag price guide

Vintage Guitar runs a price guide list in every issue and in the December issue they have a 1922 Gibson F5 mandolin with qualifiers of Loar no virzi. The price estimates are for excellent condition and a low and high number are given. So the low is $112,000 and the high is $150,000.

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Default Re: Loar in Vintage Guitar Mag price guide

I think their 2019 is out but I don't yet have it. Last year's (2018) lists 1922 Loar (no virzi) for $132K-$177K. So the prices are dropping some.

The 1924 Loar F-5 that just arrived at Elderly is listed at $120K.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

Location. Location. Location.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Location. Location. Location.

Mick
    Huh? Huh? Huh?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I doubt they will come down enough that I can afford one, so it goes. Luckily there are many other great mandolins out there.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Huh? Huh? Huh?
    I think that means Mick is headed to Lansing to put us all out of our misery and buy it!

Maybe he hit several numbers and isn’t telling anyone yet.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

9. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

These new instruments are so darn good... I think it's tough to justify any value added with these old ones.

I was in a shop when a mid 60's Martin was brought in. Brazilian redwood sides. Cared for. Needed about $1000 in repairs to be sell-able... none were the result of neglect - just time.
    ---
    Cheap Craigslist Guitar | Mandolin Made of Wood | Upright Bass with Strings

"Brazilian redwood" ??

12. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I think that means Mick is headed to Lansing to put us all out of our misery and buy it!

Maybe he hit several numbers and isn’t telling anyone yet.
    I do need to ride on up Lansing way before the weather gets cold.

No Lotto winners for us....but we will be celebrating if Michigan Prop 1 passes...

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Most of the under $175K Loars have "issues" that reflect in the price. If you have an interest in getting one at any price, I recommend a 2nd opinion.

I agree with f5loar that exceptional instruments can bring more than book price and are often never advertised to the public, FWIW......

Blog Entries

Yes I know that for a fact in my recent search for a 24! One I really wanted was 200G! I had to settle for one a tad cheaper! But I'll still be hap hap happy!

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I live in Lansing and I can go buy that Loar anytime I want to get divorced.
    Living’ in the Mitten

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Ostrander For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Why do we think that this one 'just arrived'? Is it not the one they've brought to IBMA for several years??
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

I can think of a lot of Loar owners, Loar insiders, retailers and high end owners, traders and resources I'd call on to gauge Loar prices if I was in the market. Vintage Guitar Magazine would not be one of them.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Yeah, VGPG uses a lot of vintage dealers for input but most are more likely dealing in Les Pauls and Strats than Loars. Or even vintage Martins.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Why do we think that this one 'just arrived'? Is it not the one they've brought to IBMA for several years??
    I've been thinking the same. However, for some reason it was not offered for a while. And the pictures are different now.

Blog Entries

It may be Stan's mandolin or friends? A lot have been sitting for many years now so its a buyers market and if someone wants to sell one well I know $ talks! I don't think anyone is spending over 150 for a Loar? I know one I was after is at the 200 mark but no way now maybe 8-10 years ago, so I settled for a really nice one "haven't got it yet, in a week or so" big checks take some time I guess. The one I'm getting hasn't been played too much but has the sound and I believe with me whipping on it it'll come into its own as I'm a very firm believer of them going to sleep with no play time.

Speaking in general, if you can afford a $100K for a mandolin, you likely can afford $200k for one. Not many have $100K to spend on much of anything, let alone a mandolin. In a house purchase you go for the low interest loan if you qualify. The last time I bought a Loar, I used 10 credit cards for the purchase, and then played the cards back and forth for the 0% rate for 18 months. It took me 5 years to pay them all off but I feel like I made a good investment. I also got an excellent FICA score for doing that.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Speaking in general, if you can afford a $100K for a mandolin, you likely can afford $200k for one. Not many have $100K to spend on much of anything, let alone a mandolin. In a house purchase you go for the low interest loan if you qualify. The last time I bought a Loar, I used 10 credit cards for the purchase, and then played the cards back and forth for the 0% rate for 18 months. It took me 5 years to pay them all off but I feel like I made a good investment. I also got an excellent FICA score for doing that.
    May I ask how many Loars you've owned?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    The last time I bought a Loar, I used 10 credit cards for the purchase, and then played the cards back and forth for the 0% rate for 18 months. It took me 5 years to pay them all off but I feel like I made a good investment. I also got an excellent FICA score for doing that.
    That's what I call creative financing! I had never thought of that!
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-30-2018 at 9:55am.

If I was to spend 150-200K, Id much prefer to have a Ferrari than any Loar. Playing a Loar compared to any other mando is like....playing a mando. Except for history, same usefulness. At least you get 200K of technology, performance...etc for an expensive car. - BTW, I have neither

I have known people that have owned a Ferrari and in the UK, it's not really a road vehicle. Why? If you had to drive on the potholed sorry excuse for a paved highway where I live, you would not do it in a Ferrari- as it would be badly damaged in no time- as are "normal" vehicles. As a matter of interest, Eric Clapton overturned his Ferrari in my village according to his autobiography and it was before he had even passed his driving test- they should unveil a historical plaque on the bend! In those days, our roads were okay and he has a nice Ferrari collection -or did- because my sister was shown them by Mr Clapton when she called round his place but he may have sold them along with his guitars. A Ferrari, like a 1924 F5, is a good investment, so don't drive it!

Blog Entries

That's why I don't own a nice car, the pot holes and terrible roads here in northwestern Pennsylvania are a joke man! But I will spend the $ on Loars and Ferns-funny!
    After I moved back here from Alabama in summer of 06 it sure didn't take too long before my Mustang GT convertible wasn't tight anymore!
    Last edited by William Smith; Oct-30-2018 at 4:19pm.