Thread: an experiment in octave mandos

Default an experiment in octave mandos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181022_164228315.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	493.9 KB 
ID:	172064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181022_164238623.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	599.6 KB 
ID:	172065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181022_164155098.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	559.4 KB 
ID:	172066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181022_164206962.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	456.7 KB 
ID:	172067

a friend was making this as an experiment. he was thinking six string weird guitar with cylunder/arch top and back, the body is 12 incges wide. i think this would make a much better octave mandolin. but could it sound good with five courses or should we stick to four? i like the idea. it's rainy day project, no hurry.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe just a regular mandolin or even mandola??? the body is bigger than is mandolins but not much bigger

Default Re: an experiment in octave mandos

77 views and no helpful opinions? waa????

If it's an experiment, do what you like? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

It seems small for a guitar, what would the approximate scale length be?

well i was hoping others might suggest the best scale length. those with experience in trying things. i love the idea of a cylinder front and back

Blog Entries

It is certainly in the mandola relm. If it were a guitar, the strings would be fairly close together. How wide would the neck be? And how much pressure would the top support? And how about a small tenor (soprano) guitar? Lots of possibilities I suppose.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

it is nice bird's eye maple from the local lumber yard and the top was made from some old european spruce blanks he got from a friend who got them from a deceased fiddle maker who imported them around 1960, so very well aged but triangular blanks--presto cylinder carved top

How about a waldzither just to make things more interesting?

that might be interesting.

My waldzither was converted to an OM, so I vote OM.

5 string tenor CGDAE ? Love the body.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Actually, the body size is such that it might be better as a mandola. That birdseye is absolutely gorgeous, BTW.

I think a 5 course octave would be nice , I play 5 string fiddle so I like that range

Quote Originally Posted by Papalobo View Post
    I think a 5 course octave would be nice , I play 5 string fiddle so I like that range
    i wonder or even doubt whether five courses would sound good on a 12 inch body. wouldn't the bridge be too wide and smother the top tone?

Quote Originally Posted by bbcee View Post
    Actually, the body size is such that it might be better as a mandola. That birdseye is absolutely gorgeous, BTW.
    i was wondering mandola. i just didn't play mandola untill i got a gold tone in a trade.,, that's the quandry?? would it sound and play better as an octave mandolin or a mandola, and is the body too small for five courses, because a five course bridge would smother the top resonating. so i ponder. i'll let you know when we decide.

the birdseye is great. he got several very thick boards from a regular lumber yard that lets him wander around tap toning and looking and charges construction rates.. the owner comes over and learns how to make guitars!!

well he decided on a 22 inch scale octave mandolin, it was made on order to a woman who wanted a six string guitar. mandolin then she cancelled. as an octave mandolin it absolutely sings. next version we are thinking of a wider body with two points at the neck joint and five courses. sorry i tried to upload pics but the site kept saying upload failed.

Name:	IMG_20190416_044924697.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	607.6 KB 
ID:	176091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190416_044956431.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	176092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190416_044934865.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	515.8 KB 
ID:	176093

got pics to load.(i hope) he over did the sunburst but it was a prototype. came out so well we are plotting a two point five course version to be two inches wider and three longer

Blog Entries

Well OK I'll give some thoughts -- just notice the string today - I'm not on the site as much these days.

1) as noted with a 12" wide body this would have to be an octave mandolin? Too big for a mandola (or it would be a very big mandola IMO) -- so I think you want a scale length of 12 - 22"? That seems best to me anyway.

2) The cylinder back of course was tried by Vega in the 1920s and I guess it worked OK. I fixed some things on a Vega CB for a friend a couple of months ago and I thought it was a nice looking and good sounding mandolin.

3) Cylinder top? Don't think I ever saw that before and i wonder how easy it will be to pick? You'll have to "pick over" that hump on top?

I like your idea of five courses but what range are you going for? Surely not down to C2 (mandocello range) on a 21" scale?

Good luck with the project!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Well OK I'll give some thoughts -- just notice the string today - I'm not on the site as much these days.

1) as noted with a 12" wide body this would have to be an octave mandolin? Too big for a mandola (or it would be a very big mandola IMO) -- so I think you want a scale length of 12 - 22"? That seems best to me anyway.

2) The cylinder back of course was tried by Vega in the 1920s and I guess it worked OK. I fixed some things on a Vega CB for a friend a couple of months ago and I thought it was a nice looking and good sounding mandolin.

3) Cylinder top? Don't think I ever saw that before and i wonder how easy it will be to pick? You'll have to "pick over" that hump on top?

I like your idea of five courses but what range are you going for? Surely not down to C2 (mandocello range) on a 21" scale?

Good luck with the project!
    the arch top isn't a priblen as my hand is comming over the tail piece on the cylinder.

i was thinking of adding the fifth string on the high end, adada, or gdadg. i don;t play bass on citterns, if i want a bassy tone i play guitar. i want the easy access to the mandolin range up the fifth string. the high a is the top string of a mandola so running up the neck i can get to much of the mandolin range and down to the low end of a bouzouki on one instrument.

my builder friend is up for it, and we have more birds eye maple and lots of aged german spruce in the triangular bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Howe-Orme instruments had cylinder tops. I also had a Vega cylinder guitar with a top like that.

Name:	1900-howe-orme-style-4-mandolin-natural-3atxYpJ.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	176183
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Nigel Forster also makes superb cylinder-top instruments.