Thread: question about Gibson A mandolin

Default question about Gibson A mandolin

Hello all. I'm new. Well, I've lurked for awhile anyway. Considering learning mandolin and I want to get a decent instrument. Saw this on eBay and I'm wondering, is this a good price for this model?
    Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Mand...n/113182812133

Default Re: question about Gibson A mandolin

It seems to share a FON with an A2 from 1922 and the serial number is from the same year.

It looks to have been refinished, and to the wrong colour, which will significantly reduce its value (no idea what it’s worth in the US - UK prices are totally different) As to a “chipped plastic endpin” it should be ebony!

Teacher, repair person

It is a Gibson "plain" style A from 1922. The removeable parts [tuners, bridge, tailpiece, and pickguard] and the case appear to be original. That's good. The finish has most definitely been messed with-- most likely at least partially stripped and re-stained. That's not good. Because of that, my opinion is that the price equals or exceeds the upper end of what the market will bear for an A with original parts but a non-original finish.

Generally speaking, an instrument with a non-original finish is worth 50% or less than one in excellent original condition, and top dollar for a plain A with original finish is probably $1600 to $1800 at the most.

You might want to consider making an offer. But note that the seller does not allow returns, and that you can't tell whether the instrument plays comfortably in its current condition. It may need adjustment or fret work.

Personally, I always feel that it is better to buy an instrument that you can play before the deal is finalized. This instrument is an as-is, no return sale. If you get it and you like it, great. If you don't like it or it needs a lot of work to make it playable, you're stuck with it anyway. "Caveat emptor"-- "let the buyer beware."

I would advise playing some other mandolins before pulling the trigger on this one.

Thanks for the info. I definitely do not want to purchase any instrument before trying it, or getting it from someone I trust to set it up. I'll pass on this one.

You want a decent instrument, and that's good, but an old A style Gibson may or may not be the mandolin for you. What style are you going to persue? If it is bluegrass, you'd probably want an arch top f style.

Let me over simplify. In the catagory of very good and can be found under $1000, it's hard to beat a used Kentucky 900 or up mandolin.

You can get a new Silverangel Econo A for less than $1500, or maybe a used Weber Gallatin.

Need a scroll? Double that. The old Gibsons are played by many Celtic, old timey, and fiddle tune players.

There are really no rules.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Are there any stores near you that carry mandolins, especially vintage Gibsons. Try to get out, if possible, and play as many as you ca before settling. You might love an old Gibson or, as Br1ck says, might be fine with a Kentucky or other.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

that is an interesting mandolin, just not for beginners. a veteran would want the origonal hardware and case, and if in the mood gamble on the refinish and set up . early twenties are primo mandolins. as other have said here there are some nice kentucky's for that price with no gamble. you should try a few at your music store and watch the clssifieds here. some great mandolins turn up in these classifieds from beginners to to pro instruments.

Teacher, repair person

Gibson A's make perfectly good beginner's instruments, but if they have the original low and narrow frets, they will usually benefit from a fret job with modern wire, which is higher and wider. The modern frets will increase the playability of these old mandolins significantly.

I actually think that's a pretty decent "A" for the money.

Even though the finish has been messed with, it looks crack-free, with all the original hardware intact and actually in good shape.

But...
    You need to tell us a couple of things:
    1. What is your budget?
    2. What kind of music do you want to play?

The answers to those two questions will make it easier to suggest what to look at.
    Also... where are you?

i took a long look at that mandolin. it's at $790 now. yes it has finish work, but j. albert is right it's in good shape. all the original parts are there, and from the side the action looks good. it seems a deal. i bought a much worse shape snakehead from 1923 and when refurbished it is a fantastic mandolin. i call it the world's best busking mandolin because it is refinished, so if it gets some dings, well, i can refinish again. same for that one. $790 seems great. might attract some bidders on the last day

As long as you dont want to play bluegrass, i think this mandolin is a pretty good deal. Yeah the finish isnt original, so what? The price is about right imo.

Old gibsons ovals are perfectly fine beginners instruments. Id wager there have been tons of people whos first mandolin was one of these.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Teacher, repair person

Oval hole Gibsons can be heard on records by the Stanley Brothers, Flatt and Scruggs, The Dillards, The Kentucky Colonels [Roland and Clarence White's band], Jimmy Martin, etc. etc. etc.

Until the 1980's, F-5's were not very common. The older and more prosperous bluegrass musicians usually had pre-war F-5's by that time, but everybody else was either playing oval hole Gibsons, A-50's [if you could find a good one], or the then occasional handmade F-5 copy made by only a small handful of luthiers in those days. The imported mandolins that were just starting to come out back then were nothing to write home about.

When Flatiron and Unicorn came out, it changed everything. More than half the reason Gibson bought out Flatiron was because Flatiron was making a much better mandolin than Gibson was, and they wanted to get rid of the competition. The rest of the reason was that they wanted Flatiron's machinery and some of their skilled work force so they could start up what was to become the Montana acoustic guitar division.

My first good mandolin was a Strad-o-lin, which I bought in 1980. It was probably a better mandolin than what Gibson was making at the time. I still have it, but have retired it for personal reasons.

I have an A-4 set up with a 1921 aluminum top bridge that will stand up very well in a bluegrass band.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

no one bid on it. i would have if i needed another but i have a couple of twenties snakeheads as well as a few other great mandolins. it was asking $790 usd, a little over a grand cad. the twenties gibson market must be soft right now. all i can say it wow. and a terrible condition guild f 30 from 1965 went for $1750 cad. major displaced top crack, bad wear lots of issues. i guess my great condition 1967 guild f 30 must be valuable now. what is going on?

I like 1920s Gibson As. This one is a truss-rod non-snakehead which certainly accounts for something. I don't know if the neck profile is the same as the slightly later snakeheads but I have played anything 1921 and into the Loar era and have liked almost every one I have played. That one does seem to be priced fairly for what it is, warts and all. Seller might be open to offers.

It has been relisted here.

No one will know what we are talking about here in a month or so if we don't post a few photos, so here goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	490.6 KB 
ID:	172352 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	71 
Size:	450.7 KB 
ID:	172353 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	73 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	172354 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	71 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	172355

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Gibson A's make perfectly good beginner's instruments, but if they have the original low and narrow frets, they will usually benefit from a fret job with modern wire, which is higher and wider. The modern frets will increase the playability of these old mandolins significantly.
    I am not a big fan of the modern fat frets on a mandolin. I may in the minority but I like the thinner frets on my Gibsons.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I don't believe the OP ever came back on the type of music he wanted to play. A teens or twenties Gibson A style IN GOOD CONDITION, would be a fine instrument to learn on if Celtic or old time was what interested you. If I were not versed in what to look for, I would only buy from a well known reputable dealer. That will set you back at least $1000 and probably more than $1500. If that is what you want to do, find one from Gryphon, Fiddler's Green, Elderly, Carters, Gruhn, just to name a few.

If you don't know about which direction you want to go, take your $1000 and find a Kentucky 900 or above. Hard to go wrong and very popular if you want to sell.

If you really don't want to spend that much, both Kentucky and Eastman make perfect serviceable instruments and many like Loars.

Unless you live in a major metropolitan area, playing one is going to be hard. Craigslist is not generally a place I'd point a beginner to.

If you wanted to break the budget, $1200-1400 used could buy you a lifetime keeper.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

One thing that needs to be considered is that a good setup is essential for a mandolin. Find out if there's anyplace near you and how much that will cost. (It's not extremely difficult or anything, you just have to know what you're doing.) If you're not purchasing from a reliable source assume you will have to pay to have it set up. The worst is you won't.

And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.