Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In praise of mandolin builder Matt Ruhland

Default Re: In praise of mandolin builder Matt Ruhland

I think it is wonderful that positive threads like this one (and the one featuring Tyler White a few months back) can make a real difference to an independent luthier's order book.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanElk View Post
    Smart move choosing the Sitka from that old bridge in Alaska for your top. That's what I chose for my F in the next batch. i have a feeling those tops will be legendary some day...like "the Tree"...or the Heiden Heritage barn wood...
    The credit goes to Matt. He had quite a bit of spruce on hand. He took the time to go through the characteristics of several pieces and suggested the sitka. I would love to see some lore develop around "The Bridge" tops. Sounds damn good on the new instruments. Can't wait to hear these mature.

3. The following members say thank you to Willem for this post:

Ron...I have gotten to know both of the gentlemen builders you mentioned just a bit. I can't say enough nice things about both. Great craftsmen, passionate about their work and always willing to listen and discuss customer inquires. Bottom line though is both produce fantastic musical tools.

5. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    Well, as luck would have it, I was able to pick on one of Matt's earlier x-braced F5's for a while today. I believe it was #17 or possibly 20 owned by Chuck Holloway. It was as loud and punchy a mandolin as I have played yet. Wonderful trebles and mids. Nice balance of brightness and warmth. I was impressed and left more excited to visit with Matt.
    Yes, that is what blows me away is how popping and thick the trebles are. No thin flat sound here, cutters all the way. I love the X-braced F5s he produces. Especially the ones where they cross just about an inch in front of the bridge. But all of his are fantastic.
    Definitely one of the greatest makers I know of.

Ruhland Ruhles!
    Blessings

I have recently been enjoying the experience of being in the studio with a group I perform with. I have used one of Matt's A5's on several tracks. It sits so well on the track, what a pleasure. The fundamental tones are full, rich and complex. In a word, " Fat". If it works this well for a novice player, I can only imagine what it would record like with a masterful player. Good mic placement by a fine engineer and the A5 does the rest. I could not be happier. Also, a big tip of the hat to Oliver Apitius. His F5 in the studio is so sweet and such great clarity, powerful lows. Amazing builders in our community. We are so fortunate! Thank you both, truly.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Growth For This Useful Post:

I have recently had the pleasure of a Ruhland A-5 (#26) on loan to me, and I must say it is an outstanding instrument. It has a bright, lively, bell-tone quality, mixed with a complex sweet and chewy woodiness, making it rather unique in my experience. Great playability and workmanship! Congratulations to Matt Ruhland!

10. The following members say thank you to Steve Mullins for this post:

Ruhland # 27

Here is an example of a raw track of Ruhland # 27, from a local Portland studio (minus vocals, bass etc.)
    Attached Files Attached Files