Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Monroe's mandolin played once again - now with video

Default Re: Bill Monroe's mandolin played once again - now with video

Hi Rob - There's NO image in post # 6 for me = weird !!. Can you download the video at all ?,
    Ivan

PS - The pic. was there using ''Ineternet Explorer'' - i use Firefox. Using Keepvid Downloader,i nabbed it. I've been waiting for such an event for years !. let's hope we have many more of them.

That mandolin still rings like a bell - totally awesome !.
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Oct-23-2018 at 7:27am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Brother Ivan, I’m so sorry you can’t se the video, it’s pretty good, I agree, these “Iconic instruments” are only icons because they were built to be played! Not ensconced under glass and handled with white gloves, treated with respect and care of course but, they are instruments which are TOOLS for a musician, living, breathing tools yes but, they should be played.
    I fully appreciate the docent handling The Mandolin with conservators gloves and that’s all well and good, the tone guard, again, I think it might have been an accommodation, as was the strap but, with or without any of that as a condition of playing The Mandolin, I’m just happy to see and hear the life just rush out to meet the world like it did!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Very cool event. Thanks for posting. Sure hope Sierra got a chance to take it for a spin while it was out of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    No video available on this side of the pond unfortunately.
    Ivan and others who can't get the video, try searching YouTube for "ricky skaggs 2018 country music hall of fame induction". You might find another site that works for you.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Hi Rob - There's NO image in post # 6 for me = weird !!. Can you download the video at all ?,

PS - The pic. was there using ''Internet Explorer'' - i use Firefox. ...
    Ivan,
    My Firefox doesn't load the video either. Google Chrome works for me though. Don't know what's wrong with Firefox right now.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Ivan

PS - The pic. was there using ''Ineternet Explorer'' - i use Firefox.
    Hello Ivan,

No, I was not able to download it. I was using Google Chrome if that helps.
    Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

https://people.com/country/garth-bro...fame-ceremony/

An article on it on People Magazine website. Catchy title!

8. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

This is really nice, thanks for sharing!
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

How about an album by various mandolin virtuosi playing Monroe tunes on Monroe's mandolin?

NOW that would have been something to see
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

I just went out to youtube and listened to the full piece, now I can say I heard his mandolin.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

No video available on this side of the pond unfortunately. This is something that i've crowed about many times on here !!. (amongst other things) . That mandolin ''should be played'' - PERIOD !. To have it behind glass,simply being goggled at is an insult to both Bill Monroe & Lloyd Loar himself - IMHO. Whoever put this together should receive a plate sized Gold medal for services to Bluegrass music.

I sincerely hope that this might be a breakthrough in getting this mandolin heard once more - & why not get a few top pickers to play it on a recording ? - something else i've mentioned before !.

My personal thanks to Miss Hull for sharing this - even though i can't see the video myself,it warrants a word of gratitude,
    Ivan
    I agree 100%. There's no way Monroe or Loar would want this legendary piece of history sitting in a museum. At a minimum they should allow in town muscians to record with it. Maybe Grisman should do a new tone poems using Monroe's Loar. That would be pretty epic.

Very Special...……….
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

Hi folks - Read my adendum in post #26. I opened the Cafe website using Internet Explorer instead of my usual Firefox,& the picture was there. I opened it up,copied the URL,opened up Firefox,pasted the URL to open up the video, & then downloaded it using Ant Video Downloader (a Firefox app.).

I use Mozilla Firefox,which uses Google (NOT chrome) as it's search engine. Maybe an IT guy could tell me why the picture didn't show when i open up the Cafe in Firefox/Google,but it did when i opened it up in IE/Google ??.

As an aside to this,i've noticed that for several weeks,a great number of YouTube videos are now 'non-downloadable' using the regular YT downloaders, because they're now in the 'mkv' format - Matroska Video format :- https://www.makemkv.com/aboutmkv/

Firefox's 'Ant Video Downloader' will download mkv movies. But to download them as MP3's which i normally did (pick along tunes),you need to use something like ''Keepvid'' downloader :- https://keepvid.works/
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

What a joy it would be to hear and see that mandolin in the hands of Mike Compton!

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Thanks Scott!... that was great!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Ivan,
    My Firefox doesn't load the video either. Google Chrome works for me though. Don't know what's wrong with Firefox right now.
    Same here. It's perhaps a problem of Firefox it doesn't show fb vids and also on some sites (like MC main page) it doesn't open external links, you have to right click the link and click open in new tab.
    BTW, similar trick works for the fb video... right click the location where the video shoul be and click "inspect element" this shows you part of the embedded code and when you right click the link to fb video (underlined text) you can open it in new tab.
    Adrian

Blog Entries

We have FF locally for Mac and PC and can see and play the videos. But add-on programs like Ad Blocker and others which I suspect a couple of you are running can be an issue, particularly on things like the home page. So that this doesn't turn into more of a discussion of personal computer use at home--which it has-- contact us through PM instead of filling up this space further. Or turn off Ad Blocker and other similar programs to see how they're impacting local use.

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

What an incredible moment in musical history. For BG'ers, it really doesn't get any bigger. I've watched the video at least 5 times, it gets better each time. It's as perfect as anything can get.

Ricky's expression represents how I would probably look if someone handed me Jerry Garcia's guitar to play.

I posted the video on my FB a few hours after it first posted. I've seen it a dozen times too. When you hear him hit the open E string the first time, you know it's still got it. Then there is that little lick on all the strings when it even shocked Ricky, was so good he had to mention it. Do give him so slack for the recent arm injury and the fact I really don't think he was expecting it. If you watch at the first when the guy is talking about Ricky, Ricky notices it being brought out and had an emotional experience one would expect of the unexpected. The museum had to pre plan this with getting his tone-guard and strap and the fresh strings. Yes, they have people who take care of the artifacts such as this and keep it in playing condition. As far a song choice, that's the song they do when closing the private Hall of Fame event. It was planned to get Ricky and Garth to sing it, not for Ricky to kick it off on Mon's mandolin, hence the slow beginning. I like it a lot. It would be nice if the CMHF or the BMM would get ahold of the final studio instrumental album Monroe cut in 1993 and 1994 with 14 strong original tunes on it and release it. 25 years is long enough.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Quote - "....But add-on programs like Ad Blocker and others which I suspect a couple of you are running..." Nope !. I do use U-Block Origin,but i disabled that & the photo. still didn't appear. It may have to do with the 're-direct' settings that i use in Firefox more than any Ad-Blocker. It worked fine in Internet Explore which had U-Block Origin still enabled,but NO re-direct settings.

From F5Loar - " When you hear him hit the open E string the first time, you know it's still got it...! F5 -the sound of that E string,is to my mind,the single thing that sets the sound of that mandolin from all the others that i've ever heard - apart from one - Chris Henry's Randy Wood mandolin,that's only 95% of it - but it's close. I think that most Bluegrass mandolin players on here would be satisfied with any (good) mandolin that had an E string tone like that Loar. It's so distinctive that i could pick it out of a million others (maybe ?). I've listened to that E string 100s of times,trying to analyse 'what' gives it that 'tone',& it can only be because of the way that mandolin IS = the build / the age / the way it's worn over the years / the way that the bridge is - in other words ''everything outside the E strings themselves''.

I was pickin' along with Bill Monroe (CD) ,yesterday,playing ''Southern Comfort'' on my Lebeda mandolin. The E strings were 100% in tune,but the tone was totally different = no surprise there. I then tried my Weber "Fern" & then my Ellis,exactly the same,but varying E string tones from both. But your comment on the BM 'Loar' E strings couldn't have been better put.

It was also nice to hear that the mandolin is being looked after - just as it should be,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

This is a great piece of history, right in front of God and everybody. Maybe the recording process wasn't quite optimal, but i must confess a little antisappointment on my part. Could it be the mandolin hadn't fully woken up after the long sleep behind the glass? i'm not meaning to be critical, but have great respect for everybody and the situation. From what i could see on the video, Mr. Monroe might have approved of the action.

I loved what he did, all of it. Perfect song for understated playing, and perfectly understated playing.

27. The following members say thank you to Bill Findley for this post:

Glad to hear Charlie Derrington's name mentioned at the beginning. I'm sure he knew,when he was rebuilding The Mandolin,what an historic
    accomplishment it truly was. Probably sounds and plays better than before it was busted up.

Those strings looked like Monels!

+1 on getting The Mandolin into the hands of some other virtuoso pickers. Who wouldn't buy that!?