Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No shortage of STRADOLIN MANDOLINS on ebay

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Default No shortage of STRADOLIN MANDOLINS on ebay

STRADOLIN MANDOLIN https://ebay.us/miRFqC

1930s BALDWIN STRADOLINE MANDOLIN https://ebay.us/bWjakQ

This last one has a doodad in the middle of the headstock (indicative of better quality / maybe a carved top / No guarantees). https://ebay.us/Nvf1kS

Default Re: No shortage of STRADOLIN MANDOLINS on ebay

The Baldwin is my favorite of the bunch. I'm all set in the Strad-o-lin department though. The heavily battered first one could be a fun learning the ropes of restoration project for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    The Baldwin is my favorite of the bunch.
    When it comes to stradolin mandolins, brand names other than stradolin tend to be lower quality. That Baldwin probably has a laminated mahogany back & the tailpiece is not one of the better ones.

Just realized the most expensive one does not have a picture of the back.

The bottom one has been on both eBay and Reverb for a while now. I've noted in the past the strings over the tailpiece. Have thought about that one, though. But it needs a tuner shaft and who knows if there was water damage (as I suspect from the missing strips of finish on the side).

The back is lifting around the heel of the Baldwin. So, basically they all need work.

Keep flirting with the idea of another one, but I've got enough instruments to keep me occupied these days.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Man, those are pretty rough. They all have tuning machine issues, they all pretty much appear to have some moisture damage to at least the finish, some cracks, flapping backs, etc.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Or in the classifieds — this Artist SOL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130582.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	172076 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOL-artist.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	172077
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

that one is beautiful, but seems pricey

the rest hmmm??? i don't get the interest in strad-o-lins. good ones must sound better than they look

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    that one is beautiful, but seems pricey
    I agree. Though the first one I heard was one like that played by Russ Barenberg many years ago.

the rest hmmm??? i don't get the interest in strad-o-lins. good ones must sound better than they look
    I agree with that assessment as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

i don't get the interest in strad-o-lins. good ones must sound better than they look
    At $200 or $300 they can sound way better than they look......

At $1600 they don't, IMHO........or at $1600, you have many more choices available.

I would equate it with people who like Teisco guitars, they can have a unique voice that might surprise most people. Ry Cooder and David Lindley excel on such instruments. But again, I think the appeal is that they are good for the money, but when the money gets too high..........the fun is over, IMHO.

11. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

To me Strad-o-lins are a more interesting low budget mandolin option than say a Rogue, Ibanez, Fender, Kentucky KM-140 etc in the sub $200 range. It's neat to be able to play an 80 year old instrument that is still holding up strong and won't break the bank. It's also why I like my old bowlback, it's a no name, made for the trade mandolin but it's well set up and in great condition and for 80$ it's hard to beat.

Dave Sheets

A whole lot of fun for $100.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

i don't get the interest in strad-o-lins.
    Sadly, you may never... but if you ever owned one, especially one of the carved top models, you might just fall in love.

I read (somewhere, wish I could find that article) Bill Monroe himself owned a Stradolin & spoke highly of his. David Grisman speaks highly about them, too. When it comes to vintage Pre-War American BLUEGRASS mandolins, there aren't a lot of choices.

the good ones must sound better than they look
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw Andres Segovia's guitars at the Met.

A hand-carved solid spruce top & an Elevated Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard & bridge look very plain, but sound (to quote Grisman) Loud & Punchy. I've sold a Master Model for $800 recently & two Deluxe models for $650 each. I'm not finding many of these pre-war models around like you could even five years ago.

Yes, there are a lot of steam molded top, laminated Stradolins in need of repair on ebay for $50, $100, $200 & nice ones for $350. These are the Stradolins, that everyone says, have no business sounding as good as they do. However, these are NOT bluegrass mandolins.

This is a better one... https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/130538#130538 w/hard Lifton case for $750. Meanwhile, I'll be with all the Bargain Hunters watching for one like this on ebay for $350 only because it sounds better than any modern $1000 mando.

Now, about that Artist model, IMHO I don't believe there is a modern $1,600 mando that can compete with it (& it does say "Reasonable offers considered"). Don't knock it until you've tried it. It is no ordinary Stradolin.
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-23-2018 at 3:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    Sadly, you may never... but if you ever owned one, especially one of the carved top models, you might just fall in love.

I read (somewhere, wish I could find that article) Bill Monroe himself owned a Stradolin & spoke highly of his. David Grisman speaks highly about them, too. When it comes to vintage Pre-War American BLUEGRASS mandolins, there aren't a lot of choices.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw Andres Segovia's guitars at the Met.

A hand-carved solid spruce top & an Elevated Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard & bridge look very plain, but sound (to quote Grisman) Loud & Punchy. I've sold a Master Model for $800 recently & two Deluxe models for $650 each. I'm not finding many of these pre-war models around like you could even five years ago.

Yes, there are a lot of steam molded top, laminated Stradolins in need of repair on ebay for $50, $100, $200 & nice ones for $350. These are the Stradolins, that everyone says, have no business sounding as good as they do. However, these are NOT bluegrass mandolins.

This is a better one... https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/130538#130538 w/hard Lifton case for $750. Meanwhile, I'll be with all the Bargain Hunters watching for one like this on ebay for $350 only because it sounds better than any modern $1000 mando.

Now, about that Artist model, IMHO I don't believe there is a modern $1,600 mando that can compete with it (& it does say "Reasonable offers considered"). Don't knock it until you've tried it. It is no ordinary Stradolin.
    Great post and I have to admire anyone who is willing to "push" the market. Prior to 2008, when the economy was good and eBay was a fairly new thing, I was able to do that a lot with various items that I had an interest in. If I sold something for $500, the next one I put up for $600 and see if it would sell....usually it did and I had fun playing with the "market!" I think everyone will agree, it is harder to push anything in a poor economy -- which is how I would describe vintage instruments for the last 10 or so years. There are a lot of people who would like to get back what they paid for instruments prior to 2008, thinking they were on the way up. I will add that salesmanship is a big part of pushing the market by trying to paint a picture in someone's mind of something that they hadn't considered yet. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, BUT it only has to work ONCE to get the sale! To show how the market has changed over the years, Gruhn used to "compliment" his customers after the sale by saying something to the effect, "You have just paid THE MOST anyone has every paid for an old strat, Martin, etc." -- much like the elite auction houses call for a round of applause for the lucky bidder when a record price has been paid! Great for those who can afford it, but me, I like bargains.

One of the vintage guitar brands I bought and sold over the years was Gower, cause I liked them, they were good, but not great, they used good materials, and most importantly they could be bought cheap. They were made in Nashville in the 50's and 60's and often showed up at the Nashville guitar shows. 20 years ago, you could buy a Gower D-28 copy in Brazilian rosewood for $300-400 when the equivalent Martin was $2500 or more and that was the fun of it, for me. I had Gower electrics (they only made a few), as well. Prior to eBay, Gowers were not seen much outside of Nashville and the vintage guitar circuit. When eBay hit, the word got out. I remember when they still could be bought for $300-400, I was able to sell one on eBay for $2000 due to good salesmanship, good pictures, and a good economy. Like I say, I just tried to make a hobby out of finding the right buyer -- which takes some work, even in a good economy. And, you have to have thick skin to take all the abusive emails. And, to repeat, as good as they are, I'd still rather have an old Martin or Gibson if price was not part of the equation........

So, for $1600 you have a lot of choices in the vintage and used marketplace, mandolin-wise. A bunch of 100 year old Gibson A styles are available at that price, as well as some popular modern choices like a used Kentucky KM-1000, for example. I'm sure many great mandolins also fall into that price point. Whatever floats your boat, really....but you're asking "Gibson" money for a Stradolin......

My friend had a neat electric guitar that was custom built for the lead guitarist for the Lion King on broadway by none other than First Act........yep, the brand that sells the $49 guitars at Walmart! Well, I saw the guitar and this guitar was every bit the equal to a PRS in fit and finish and quality of materials, but how can you market a First Act for big money? Anyway, he tried to push the market, but I don't think he had much success with that one......but I could picture a similar discussion to what we are having here.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

My Collings cost me $1,500 ($500 cash and the rest in trade on building a custom bed) ... and I'd put it up against the Strad-o-lin anytime, just out of curiosity.

My friend had a neat electric guitar that was custom built for the lead guitarist for the Lion King on broadway by none other than First Act........yep, the brand that sells the $49 guitars at Walmart! Well, I saw the guitar and this guitar was every bit the equal to a PRS in fit and finish and quality of materials, but how can you market a First Act for big money?
    Great story!
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Oct-23-2018 at 10:06pm.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Jeff, I've turned down four offers of $1,000, so it's already bringing Gibson money. It's an American made 76 year old vintage Bluegrass mando, not a Korean, Chinese or Japanese Kentucky KM-1000 where "The chop needs to come around or the Red Spruce is a bit slow in development" (stories I've heard). Tho I may never get $1600 for it, someone will pay $1,200 for it eventually & when it shows up on their doorstep, & they open the case, their going to get that golden feeling when they notice the flame is better than the pics & there are no cracks, only a little minor finish rub (to the left of my thumb, first pic). After they tune it up they are going to message me that it's all I said it was ... & then some. Respect, Mike

...& Mark, This will blow the f-holes off your Collins. Would you take $1,000 for your Collins (now you know what it feels like to be me). lolol
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-23-2018 at 11:28pm.

Mike, I am sure it is a wonderful mandolin and everything you say it is. It sure looks beautiful, too. Good luck, I'm sure you will find a buyer. Heck, I'd love to have it, but I'm too much of a cheapskate.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Am wondering if we're now hitting the point where the saturation of the market will cause vintage instrument prices to keep falling. And maybe influence more recent instrument prices. What I paid for both of my A models is much higher than the market is now. Will admit, hadn't studied the market enough and paid what I thought was fair. And it would have been 10 years ago.

Also, am not saying certain specific instruments won't hold value, or go up. But there's a lot of pedestrian grade instruments that make great music, and the price on them is dropping. Mainly thinking of vintage Gibson and Martin A styles. Although some of the more modern lines seem to be following this trend as well.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Am wondering if we're now hitting the point where the saturation of the market will cause vintage instrument prices to keep falling. And maybe influence more recent instrument prices. What I paid for both of my A models is much higher than the market is now. Will admit, hadn't studied the market enough and paid what I thought was fair. And it would have been 10 years ago.

Also, am not saying certain specific instruments won't hold value, or go up. But there's a lot of pedestrian grade instruments that make great music, and the price on them is dropping. Mainly thinking of vintage Gibson and Martin A styles. Although some of the more modern lines seem to be following this trend as well.
    I was surprised to find early 1920's Gibson A Jr's selling for as low as $500 on ebay. Seems like a lot of mandolin for the price but they did make a lot of them. 1920's Gibson A Jr's with (rare) snakehead headstocks add about $500 to the price (seems like a lot but they are rare).
    Last edited by your_diamond; Oct-28-2018 at 2:19pm.

22. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

It depends on why you bought your mandolins. Did you buy them as an investment, or to enjoy? I bought mine to enjoy, and if I play a $2000 mandolin for 10 years that's $0.55/day. That's cheap amusement IMHO, and anything I get back out of it is gravy.

24. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    It depends on why you bought your mandolins. Did you buy them as an investment, or to enjoy? I bought mine to enjoy, and if I play a $2000 mandolin for 10 years that's $0.55/day. That's cheap amusement IMHO, and anything I get back out of it is gravy.
    I buy them to enjoy. But if I could have purchased two for the same price to enjoy, might have had twice the fun.

Really, though, I purchased at least one of them for the sound. And knowing it didn't need any work helped justifying the price.

Was thinking last night - what's strange is that old Gibson A Jr (and some A models) have now dropped down to the same price as a Flatiron 1N. That's just strange.

Was thinking last night - what's strange is that old Gibson A Jr (and some A models) have now dropped down to the same price as a Flatiron 1N. That's just strange.
    Coming from a vintage perspective, one of the hurdles I had to get over when I joined this forum was how many people would rather play a recent import than a 100-year old Gibson -- FOR THE SAME MONEY! For me it is no contest that I would chose the Gibson......

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Coming from a vintage perspective, one of the hurdles I had to get over when I joined this forum was how many people would rather play a recent import than a 100-year old Gibson -- FOR THE SAME MONEY! For me it is no contest that I would chose the Gibson......
    To play devil's advocate for a sec - new frets & a couple of cracks to be repaired could easily equal or surpass the initial cost. Most imports won't need that initially.

Plus, sometimes the import looks better and for a stage, that's part of the appeal.

But it is strange that carved oval hole Gibsons can now be found cheaper than the off brand flat tops they made.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

To play devil's advocate for a sec - new frets & a couple of cracks to be repaired could easily equal or surpass the initial cost. Most imports won't need that initially.
    That is why it is worth paying a little extra for a vintage mandolin that is in fine condition. Whether it be a Gibson or a Stradolin, there are a few vintage mandolins available in mint & near mint condition. If it's not in the condition represented... RETURN IT.

Plus, sometimes the import looks better and for a stage, that's part of the appeal.
    ...and sometimes the vintage mandolin looks better. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130582.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	172076

But it is strange that carved oval hole Gibsons can now be found cheaper than the off brand flat tops they made.
    I have been trying to buy a Gibson A off of ebay, for $500, for a week now & there is nothing in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    I have been trying to buy a Gibson A off of ebay, for $500, for a week now & there is nothing in that price range.
    If you check eBay's completed items listings you will see several were sold in that price range in the last month. Some were projects, some playable, none were perfect at that price, but still a deal. If you increase your budget to $6-700 you will find even more results. It goes without saying that if it is listed as a Buy It Now for that price, it won't last long, so you have to really "hound" eBay by checking many times a day for new listings and refreshing. Many of the Buy It Now's are from estate sale sellers who do not specialize in instruments, so keep that in mind. The OTHER THING eBay has been doing for awhile now that I find super annoying is that MANY instruments don't show up in a simple search, due to eBay giving mega-sellers preference in the search results. In other words, searching for "Gibson Mandolin" will not show you all the Gibson mandolins currently on eBay, you have to weed out the others by trying different searches, wordings, etc......good luck -- they are out there! And remember my motto, "nobody should like paying retail for this old stuff!"