Thread: Campanella MAS

Default Campanella MAS

I can't seem to get Campanella mandolins out of my mind. MAS has hit me hard!
    I've played a few Campanella's throughout the years when Joseph used to display his work in the vending room at the Joe Val festival. I've always been fond of his work but the two more recent ones that I played at The Music Emporium last year were truly amazing. He has hit another level, and he knocked it out of the park with both of them. They sold before I was able to get to one of them but one of his recent works will be my next mandolin.

I would really love to hear from some Campanella owners with some testimonies.

Thanks,
    D

Default Re: Campanella MAS

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I can't seem to get Campanella mandolins out of my mind. MAS has hit me hard!
    I've never played one but the aesthetics certainly floats my boat!

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't own one but have played a few new and used at TME. Lots of mandolins pass through TME and one of the best, to my ears, was a used Campanella F5 they had last year. Warm, woody and balanced with a super setup.

That would be the one I played. Here it is! It had great sustain.
    https://themusicemporium.com/mandoli...-mandolin.6115

Agree they are something special. I'm on Joe's waiting list and maybe 5-6 months away now. I'm looking at a Due (two point). Very excited.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Quote Originally Posted by MissingString View Post
    Agree they are something special. I'm on Joe's waiting list and maybe 5-6 months away now. I'm looking at a Due (two point). Very excited.
    So lucky!

7. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Blog Entries

OH YEAH MAN-they look awesome so if they sound as great as they look I don't know I think it would be hard not to get one if ya could! The total violin overhang on the body and that type of look has it going on! I think he's the first to ever do that idea and what an idea and look! Simply spectacular looking. I'd have to have a pickguard and extention on mine because while I'm not a pinky planter I must have a mental thing/complex cause I needs me a pickguard or its hard to play anything! Yes I know KRAZY but true! My Dad says its in my head cause I don't touch the guard, He don't get it? I told him I need it there for a guide! FUNNY. I know I'm not alone in this?
    I hope ya like it when ya get it Dem! What was wrong with your 87? Gil F-5? That was a looker and I'm sure sounded great? That had top problems correct so you had a new top made if I remember right-right?
    I'm in the process of getting my holy grail F-5 so within 2 weeks I should have her?

Hey there,

We had a baby, so yes, I'm selling the Gil for extra funds and figure I'd get something more in the ball park of a Campanella - I'm very fond of his work. As far as the Gil, it is an '87 F5. There was never anything wrong with the top. In fact, whoever buys it will get the old top, too, just because. It was an Engelmann top with thick braces and was more tonally focused on the top end with not a ton of bottom end. It still sounded great, but I was really craving more of that Red Spruce thing. The feel of the mandolin is as good as it gets, so I saw it as worthy of a re-top. Steve re-topped it, per my request, in 2017, and the results are perfect. It has all the tonal range one could ever want in a mandolin, plus all the updates to align with Steve's most recent work, but with the feel of a vintage instrument. Anyhow,
    I thought you already knew all this info, when you had messaged me about it a few times awhile back. Seems like a strange place to post and claim that there was potentially something wrong with the old top, when I have the Gilchrist posted in the classifieds as if I'm trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. I certainly hope this wasn't your intention. I'd like to think not because you seem like a decent guy, but you did already know all of this information in great detail from our previous conversations...

I have been very honest about all the updates and upgrades with anyone who has contacted me and has showed interest.

On that note, I apologies to cafe for posting these details on this forum discussion, but I felt that there needed to be some clearing up since my Gilchrist was brought into the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    OH YEAH MAN-they look awesome so if they sound as great as they look I don't know I think it would be hard not to get one if ya could! The total violin overhang on the body and that type of look has it going on! I think he's the first to ever do that idea and what an idea and look! Simply spectacular looking. I'd have to have a pickguard and extention on mine because while I'm not a pinky planter I must have a mental thing/complex cause I needs me a pickguard or its hard to play anything! Yes I know KRAZY but true! My Dad says its in my head cause I don't touch the guard, He don't get it? I told him I need it there for a guide! FUNNY. I know I'm not alone in this?
    I hope ya like it when ya get it Dem! What was wrong with your 87? Gil F-5? That was a looker and I'm sure sounded great? That had top problems correct so you had a new top made if I remember right-right?
    I'm in the process of getting my holy grail F-5 so within 2 weeks I should have her?
    Last edited by Demetrius; Oct-21-2018 at 4:33pm.

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    ruff ruff! i'd adopt it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Nice! That Joe Cleary arm rest design is perfect for that mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Nice! That Joe Cleary arm rest design is perfect for that mandolin
    I did not know that Joe makes those sweet armrest... I love it!

Blog Entries

Hey Dem, I didn't mean nothing bad about your Gil, I know its pry a great one with the red spruce! I talk to so many people I couldn't remember the reason for the re top. No worries. And sorry for any negative feeling on your part.