Thread: Tenor Guitar in New Zealand

Default Tenor Guitar in New Zealand

I'll be in Auckland, New Zealand for the month of February. Does anybody know of a place where I could rent a tenor guitar for the month? I don't trust the airlines to get my Blueridge BR-60T to New Zealand in one piece.

If I can't rent a tenor guitar I plan on renting a 6 string guitar, removing the 5th and 6th strings, down tuning a whole step, and using a capo at the second fret. It won't look pretty, but it should get the job done. Any other ideas on what to do would also be welcome.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Tenor Guitar in New Zealand

Hi chip, I can only recall two music shops in Auckland centre, the biggest is about half way up the hill and the other right at the top of the hill.
    There may be more outside of the city centre but I have never seen a tenor guitar for sale in any music shop in New Zealand.
    A baritone ukulele would be cheaper and easier to find, tenor ukuleles are definitely for sale in a lot of shops.
    I would take a set of 5ths nylon strings and look for a baritone uke.

Harley Marty

Default Re: Tenor Guitar in New Zealand

Another option could be to order a cheap & cheerful 3/4 child’s laminate nylon on line to where you’ll be staying. Then do the 4 string idea & leave the capo at home. :-) You could reuse 4 out of the 6 nylons or take a set of light steels to put on it, it’s surprising how good the steels sound.