Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences between various Eastman A models?

Default Re: Differences between various Eastman A models?

Definitely better tuners with the higher end models plus more binding and better grained wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Bling and possibly better hardware.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

colorado_al! I have an MD315 and love it. Yes, the tuners seem to be the only real difference. I thought about replacing them with the RM-1583N-26A but could not find them doing a google search. The Pingwell site has them listed but doesn't have a price or how to purchase them. Do you know where i could find them? thanks!

I have an MD604 (oval), have played on two MD804s, they are all very similar instruments. Eastman model numbers are mostly about bling.

IMHO *all* Eastman OEM tuners should be replaced with Grover 309's, but that might just be me.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

hi kurth83, that's what i've been seeing in other comments, the Grover 309's will work. thanks for the reply!

I used to have an Eastman 505. If I were to buy another Eastman, I would get something from the 300 series and upgrade hardware if need be. I sanded all the gloss off my 505 which took it to satin and it sounded a lot better (not to mention looked a lot cooler). My Eastman was a 2006, one of the earlier ones, and it had entirely too much gloss finish on it which dampened the sound. YMMV.

I play the same Gryphon selection you do, and it has been my opinion that between the 300 and 500 series, it is down to the particular instrument. Sometimes the 500 wins, sometimes the 300 does, and the difference to my ear as you move up is primarily cosmetic.

But I gravitate to the 300 as it is a fantastic value, though the 500 is a more finished mandolin, and I would shop untill I found one that sounded better than the 300 that day.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The 300 series sounds better to my ear than the 500 services......just saying.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    The 300 series sounds better to my ear than the 500 services......just saying.
    I felt the same! I tried 500 series and 300 series Eastman mandolins when shopping for an f-style (I already had a 505) and WANTED to like the 515 better (especially after reading the many complaints about the hardware on the 300 series), but I preferred the sound of the less expensive 315 (and bought one). I still like my 505, but I love the 315.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I recently purchased an Eastman 504 and I'm in love with it. I've owned them all and, for $700, (which includes a nice case) you can't find a better-looking, better-playing, better-sounding oval hole mandolin. Eastman has come a LONG way with their mandolins since their earliest offerings...

P.S. - I bought the one with the brown finish as opposed to the sunburst version. Everyone who sees this mandolin thinks it's one of the prettiest things they've ever seen... and I can't argue with them! Check one out...

Re differences: A room full of people carving tops and backs. An old guy brings in wood. He hands the wood he thinks is prettier to the people he thinks carve best. Lots of noise in that system.

The best Eastman oval hole I had was a delightfully supple MD904.
    Stephen Perry