Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between various Eastman A models?

Question Differences between various Eastman A models?

I've been playing mandolin off and on for 35+ years. I'm not great but I think "I should have a decent mandolin to play". My existing model is an old Kentucky teardrop with F-holes but as I play mostly Celtic I wanted to try an oval hole model. Went to Gryphon in Palo Alto (it's near where I work) and tried an MD-504 which is the low end model in this style from Eastman.

Then I looked at their website to see the range.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/mandolin_a_style

Other than binding (top only vs. top, back, neck, and headstock) I can't find any listed differences in specs between any of the models. They don't offer a side by side compare feature, but they all have 12" radius fretboard, the same fret wire, nitro finish, etc. etc.

Anyone have more insight into why there are 5 models ranging from $600 to $1100?

Thx!

DL

Default Re: Differences between various Eastman A models?

Bling and possibly better hardware.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Ah I see finally that the lowest end MD-304 has "quality geared tuners" while all other seem to sport "Tuners:Pingwell RM-1583N-26A".

Ok next question, anyone have one? I thought the one I tried sounded pretty good. I'm not a pro or anything and don't play mando often, just think I've been a good boy for long enough to deserve something slightly better than what I have. Plus I got a raise recently!

Blog Entries

The figure in the woods and IIRC the finish is different between the 304 and the other models. Not that that will likely make a huge difference to someone who plays like you do (and I do). I have been a long fan of the Eastman instruments. I think they are well made and of good quality. I've not had hands on a recent one. Mine from 2008 or so is still great.

If you really want an oval and want to spend in that $600 - 1000 range, I would also consider Big Muddy mandolins (flat top and back, Plain Jan looks but great builds and sound) or an old Martin A style cant topped mandolin or even a Gibson Flatiron). I like the Big Muddy mandolins because they make models with rosewood, walnut, and mahogany backs that have different voices I like better than spruce over maple arch tops.

Near $1000 you may be able to find a players vintage Gibson A style oval hole mandolin. That means its OLD but maybe has some cosmetic issues or has been refinished or just no longer all original. Those are sweet too. The main thing, is to set a budget, try some and buy the one that feels and sounds the best to you regardless of the name on the headstock.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

6. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

For the most part, the lower end Eastman models are just as good (as players) as the higher models. Eastman uses good quality woods across the line and seems to carve them the same. The higher models do look nicer in person. They have better cosmetic grades of wood, higher grade tuners, better cases... You are getting something for the money, but as a usable instrument, you don't need to jump up to higher models.

I have had a lot of these through my hands.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Some folks actually prefer the sound of the 300 series. The satin finish does sound different than the gloss finish of the 500 series and above. The drawback of the 300 series is that the tuners are not as good as the higher models.
    I'd also put the Kentucky KM-270 in the mix of options. Or the KM-272 & KM-276 (same mandolin with different color finish).
    Great instruments for less than $500.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Some folks actually prefer the sound of the 300 series. The satin finish does sound different than the gloss finish of the 500 series and above. The drawback of the 300 series is that the tuners are not as good as the higher models.
    I'd also put the Kentucky KM-270 in the mix of options. Or the KM-272 & KM-276 (same mandolin with different color finish).
    Great instruments for less than $500.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...0-mandolin.htm
    Totally agree. You can work around the tuner issue like I did. I just had new tuners installed. If you aren't looking toward reselling it then price recedes into the background. Mine was one of the older ones with a stamped tailpiece so I gave her a cast one as well. As I say, the cost only really comes into play if you decide to sell it. I will never do that, so I am very happy with what I did.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Totally agree. You can work around the tuner issue like I did. I just had new tuners installed. If you aren't looking toward reselling it then price recedes into the background. Mine was one of the older ones with a stamped tailpiece so I gave her a cast one as well. As I say, the cost only really comes into play if you decide to sell it. I will never do that, so I am very happy with what I did.
    I think the tuners on the 300 series work fine, they just aren't as good as the 500 series. If you like the way the MD-304 sounds, I'd buy it and see how the tuners are to you. If you like them, then no need to swap them out. If you decide you'd like a better set, you can swap them out yourself for about $60.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I think the tuners on the 300 series work fine, they just aren't as good as the 500 series. If you like the way the MD-304 sounds, I'd buy it and see how the tuners are to you. If you like them, then no need to swap them out. If you decide you'd like a better set, you can swap them out yourself for about $60.
    Yes, thank you, I totally agree. The decisions I made were mine alone, and were more of a personal choice than anything else. I'm sure the vast majority of 300 Eastmans need no mods at all. All I will say is how impressive I find them to be.
    We are the music makers,

13. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Few years back a local store had a few Eastman F's - 515, 615 and 815 IIRC. I preferred the 515. Played just as well but sounded better. The other 2 got progressively more expensive; the more bling the deader the sound.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

My local Eastman dealer has some 304 models in. Really like their sound. Very much in the ballpark of the old Gibson A models. Which they should sound like with the short necks. If you play one you like, I'd highly recommend getting it. But I have a bias as my main instruments are old Gibson A models.

As to an Eastman vs a Big Muddy, IMO they are very different. Both sound and construction wise. Not worse (or better). Just different.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

16. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I'm quite reluctant to get an instrument without playing one first. Anyone sell Big Muddy near San Jose CA USA? I didn't see any reference to "where to buy one" on their web site.

I hadn't noticed any in our area ( there may be though).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

This Eastman MD-804D just showed up in the Classifieds for $600. Oval hole 2 point.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/130480#130480
    I owned one of these and it was quite good.
    The one listed has a single piece bridge, not adjustable, but as long as the action is good, no reason to replace it.

This MD-504 for $500 is a good price
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/130453#130453

20. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I know, this is another spend a bunch more hijack, but you need to know. Gryphon usually has a Northfield oval. You should play one. And often they will have an old Gibson.Yes I'm asking you to play instruments three to five times your budget, but consider it if you plan to play another twenty years.

If you want to play my 1913 A-1, PM me, I live in San Jose. Actually for Celtic and fiddle tunes that is where I'd go. An old Flatiron 1N would be good too, at half the cost. I think ovals need to be better than f holes to be satisfying.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

22. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Thanks for the offer, I am somewhat of a cheapskate on instrument purchases and I play electric guitar most of the time any more. I did try the MD-504 at Gryphon and my impression without even comparing it to anything else was "oohhh - throaty". I just don't see myself dropping $3k on a mandolin. The Northfield has a bunch of florentine curlicues and yes those are purdy but I don't know who I'm gonna impress with that sort of thing.

Now THIS thing on the other hand: https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...mandolin-45823

For some reason it's been there for quite some time!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digital Larry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Larry View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I am somewhat of a cheapskate on instrument purchases and I play electric guitar most of the time any more. I did try the MD-504 at Gryphon and my impression without even comparing it to anything else was "oohhh - throaty". I just don't see myself dropping $3k on a mandolin. The Northfield has a bunch of florentine curlicues and yes those are purdy but I don't know who I'm gonna impress with that sort of thing.

Now THIS thing on the other hand: https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/prod...mandolin-45823

Hmmmm. Well, okay, if it speaks to you, then go for it. At least, it sounds like you can play it. If it were up to me, though, it would stay there a little while longer. There are plenty of other instruments around in the $400 range.
    We are the music makers,

26. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Oh my God - I clicked the link to the Gryphon, and that’s got to be the worst looking mandolin I’ve ever seen!

28. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Ray(T) 

“In many ways, Woody’s ambition exceeded his abilities.”
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I've had my eye on that beauty for a long time. Somehow I've managed to avoid pulling the trigger.

I wonder about picture 33. Is that a secret compartment to hold your picks?

31. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I know, this is another spend a bunch more hijack, but you need to know. Gryphon usually has a Northfield oval. You should play one. And often they will have an old Gibson.Yes I'm asking you to play instruments three to five times your budget, but consider it if you plan to play another twenty years.

If you want to play my 1913 A-1, PM me, I live in San Jose. Actually for Celtic and fiddle tunes that is where I'd go. An old Flatiron 1N would be good too, at half the cost. I think ovals need to be better than f holes to be satisfying.
    I have a couple of old A models, and a Flatiron 1N (see avatar) and a Big Muddy. I'd say if you like the Eastman, then buy it. Again, Played some 304 models recently that compare very favorably with my old Gibsons. The flat top mandolin sound (like the Flatiron and Big Muddy) is completely different. My Flatiron has a lot of volume, but not much in the way of bass. The fact it sounds so different from my Gibsons is one reason I got it. And while I like the Big Muddy, it's going to be sold since I got the Flatiron. Too similar in sound.

Plus, while I love old Gibson A's, they can be a money pit if you don't know what to look for. Loose brace on top, sinking top, frets needing to be replaced. Repairs to any of that add up quickly. While the Eastman doesn't have the last degrees of depth of tone, for the price range, they really are nice.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

33. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Hmmmm. Well, okay, if it speaks to you, then go for it. At least, it sounds like you can play it. If it were up to me, though, it would stay there a little while longer. There are plenty of other instruments around in the $400 range.
    Just need a way to locate a nearby shop to play some side by side. Sylvan in Santa Cruz is another local shop with a bunch of mandos but I'm not seeing any flat tops. I'll keep looking around as I'm not exactly in the grips of severe MAS.

Eastmans seem to be the only game in town here. Gryphon has a very few Kentuckys. Sylvan won't have much besides Eastmans in an afordable mandolin. So it comes down to which Eastman. I'd buy one step up from the 300 series for the hardware and the case.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Larry View Post

Wow! Just wow! I'd almost buy that just for as a conversation piece lol! (Unfortunately, between my having cancer surgery and Chemo this year and my youngest getting married in April, even $400 isn't going to happen. BUT I've bookmarked that page and if that "mando" is still available in a year or two, it might just find a spot on my wall!)
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Also keep checking The Mandolin Store under used instruments. They often have seconds from Eastman listed there. Eastman seconds are the take it out in the sun and see if you can find the flaw variety.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1