Thread: When does an "On Sale" price turn into a regular price?

Default When does an "On Sale" price turn into a regular price?

Just curious. If a mandolin has been on the market at a reduced price, say for $1100, for about two years, is it still "On Sale," or is that just its new price? Does there have to be a risk the sale will end and it will return to its original price?
    1913 F4, 1914 H1, 1915 A1, 1923 F2, 2007 Jim Rowland F5

Default Re: When does an "On Sale" price turn into a regular price?

For that particular instrument, I'd say that's the current price.
    --

2021 Eastman MD505
    2000 Master Works hammered dulcimer
    1953 Body

generally speaking, if something has been for sale for two years without selling, I would say the "sale" price is still too high....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Sellers -- especially of used instruments, where you can't check out "manufacturer list price" on-line -- can pretty much say what they want. I remember driving by a rural barn that had a permanent "Garage Sale" sign; of course, a garage sale is usually a limited-time, over the weekend event.

I get catalogs all the time that announce that such-and-such is "50% off regular price," showing a $XX price with a red line through it, followed by a $XX/2 price. Go back and check an older catalog from the recycle bin, and you see that the item was never listed for $XX.

"On sale" notices definitely attract attention, but are only as reliable as the sellers who post 'em.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

In the late 70's I lived in New York City and noticed all the shops on Time Square selling suitcases with a "Going Out Of Business" banner on the storefront.....25 years later I returned to see they are still in the process of "going out of business!"

Another meaningless, but normal convention is “save $xxx”. When it’s quite clear that purchasing something versus not, does not involve saving anything. These days, I guess we all automatically check the ‘net for pricing on everything, just because.
    Many things, and instruments can overlap this group, have no actual retail sales price, and tremendous latitude while either still generating some profit, or forced into the magical world of surplus. In my world, offering 10% of ‘factory’ price isn’t considered rude, even on things costing much more than houses.

8. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post: