Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Style 20 Interest

Default Re: Martin Style 20 Interest

Wow, I guess I didn't read the first post here, that you were pining for this mandolin for coming on 2 years.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Wow, I guess I didn't read the first post here, that you were pining for this mandolin for coming on 2 years.
    I think there’s two active threads about the same mandolin. Hence, my deja vu all over again in my previous post on this thread because I had been following the other thread.

I do hope this Martin is nice. Fact is, I've never actually held one in my hands, although I had a friend with a 2-20 (f holes) which I used to lust after.

GC buys can be tricky. I’ve found that I can never really tell what the condition is until it’s in my hands. They don’t seem to have a consistent system in evaluating instruments. I’m not trying to be a bummer, just want to help by limiting your expectations. I hope it’s what you’re looking for.

I recently bought a style 15 and I’m quite smitten! I do hope this style 20 works out for you.

I owned a 1929 Style 20, the first year of production. Hands down, this is the best mandolin Martin ever made, a wonderful design that performs admirably. I regret that I sold it! It even had the original ebony pickguard. DO NOT let the 13" scale fool you, it's a terrific addition.

It's due for arrival in Knoxville on Wednesday. I am well aware of Guitar Center, having purchased many, some seen, others shipped in. If I don't like it, it doesn't stay with me. Most of my cureent stable of instruments came from GC, including a Yairi DRMR70SB, Larrivee SD-60, 1920 Gibson A, Eastman MDA 815, and Wildwood Troubadour. I have also returned a significant number which didn't please.

Quote Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
    It's due for arrival in Knoxville on Wednesday. I am well aware of Guitar Center, having purchased many, some seen, others shipped in. If I don't like it, it doesn't stay with me. Most of my cureent stable of instruments came from GC, including a Yairi DRMR70SB, Larrivee SD-60, 1920 Gibson A, Eastman MDA 815, and Wildwood Troubadour. I have also returned a significant number which didn't please.
    Yeah, that’s cool! I definitely wasn’t trying to question your ability to buy an instrument. I have had some good purchases at GC and dealt with some really good people. It just seems that they don’t have a consistent system of evaluating vintage instruments and if you call and ask someone in the store they can’t always provide you with answers that aren’t vague.

I honestly do hope it works out for you. I am quite happy with my style 15! And my style A, too!

You're right. Some stores will rate an instrument good while another store would rate the same as excellent. My salesman at Knoxville admitted he rated an excellent instrument as good, because even if it started out excellent, in 2 weeks time at GC it would have deteriorated.

When I first called the Brooklyn GC about this Martin, the answering sales guy to have little interest in helping. After asking for the ID#, he stated that the item was no longer in inventory, no ifs, ans, or buts. I called later the same day. Another salesman answered, said the mandolin was still in inventory, but that they were so backed up he couldn't take the time to examine it for me. He said that he remembered it to be "a collector rather than a player piece". He suggested calling back in several weeks when he might have more time to spend with me about the mandolin. Not much help. So I decided that my only real option was to go ahead and order it and check it out myself. And I did so through my Knoxville store, so that if the deal was finalized, my local guy could get credit instead of the dudes in Brooklyn who had no time for me.

George, I've had similar experiences when selling to Guitar Center. That is, you have to find the right salesperson who is interested in helping you. Some, will barely glance at an instrument and say, "we're not interested," while others will show some enthusiasm. I found one guy at our local store who is helpful and I always call ahead to make sure he is there before driving to GC. This is especially true when selling vintage, since all vintage pieces GC buys have to be approved by their Hollywood store. This is not complicated, but takes about an hour, digital pictures are taken and sent, and their vintage buyer makes an offer if they are interrested. I'm guessing some of the salesmen are just too lazy to do the steps.

That being said, I've sold quite a few instruments to them for really good money once you know how the system works. And, like you say, there are good deals there for buyers, also -- you just have to read between the lines and judge the condition and price by your own standards. And, you can't beat the free shipping and return policy!

Good luck, I hope it is a "keeper!"

Tracking says she's arrived in Knoxville. I suppose I'll see what all the fuss is about soon.

It didn't arrive. Something about a "mechanical failure" delaying delivery.

Shipping has been pretty funky with all the carriers. I sent some important papers to my daughter in Baltimore a few weeks ago and I mailed them priority to get tracking. It should have taken 2-3 business days. It took eleven and there was no notification from USPS as to where the letter was.

I did a trade of a vintage guitar for a mandolin at the end of last year. I shipped it to the guy and it got there before Fedex estimate. The mandolin was shipped UPS and I got a notice the following week that it was on the truck. By 10pm nothing. Then they told me it was New Year holiday so it wouldn’t be delivered until 3 days later. Crazy stuff and nerve wracking when you have an expensive instrument involved. Oh well. It did arrive and it was and still is wonderful. Happy ending.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A lot of carriers are operating near “peak” conditions. Since the shutdown began online sales for everything are through the roof. Delays should be expected. I wouldn’t worry too much, it will probably arrive safely soon.

According to tracking, it arrived in Knoxville hub on Tuesday after 9:00pm. It's not to store yet. Mechanical failure Wednesday and delay on Thursday. Spent more time in Knoxville than it did on road from Brooklyn to Knoxville.

I sent a banjo from Townsend TN to Elkins, WV. via USPS. Got there in two days.

Who’s the carrier? I don’t think UPS has mechanical failure as a delivery exception, but I could be wrong. Hang in there, it might show up tomorrow.

George,you are being cooler than I would be.

I absolutely do not like shipping or receiving instruments, but have done a fair amount
    of it. Probably a dozen times. It can be very disconcerting.

We're all pullin for you!

I picked the mandolin up today at GC in case I took an immediate dislike and decided on an immediate return. Aside from the rather shabby soft shell it came in, the mandolin itself was in remarkable shape for something 91 years old. Very clean and wear free, with a finish with only minimal wear. It's likely the same mandolin owned by Mike Zito. 1929 Martin Style 20 with Martin interior stamp but no serial #. My friend David Stutzman says some of those old Martins have #s, others don't. Very little fret wear, but I think they are bar frets.

I played the mandolin for an hour tonight with my fiddler wife. It has a definite old time tone; not as bassy as my Gibson A, but having more bite.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow, perhaps do a better set up and a string change.

So far, I like it. I even stopped at another store on the way home and bought a better case.

18. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

tree 

I'd like share photos, if some will help. I've got an IPhone 5 and a Huewai tablet. No PC.

Congrats! If you click the little picture of the tree in the toolbar you can upload photos from your phone.

Oh, and the serial number and style might be on the neck block, not on the inside of the back like other Martins. It might be hard to see in poor lighting.

Still unable to add photos to post. This is what happens when you spend all of your life learning instruments and none of your life learning computers.

George. Wow an iPhone 5. Real vintage. :-)

Try this. Click the third icon from the right above this reply window here. That is the little tree icon. You should get a dialog box that says Insert image below that "From computer" and "From URL". If from computer it should say "Choose file" on a button. Click that. Then there should be a popup that says "Take photo or Video" or "Photo Library" or "Browse". If the photo is on your phone then click "photo library" and you should be able to see the photos you want. You may have to do this for each photo but you can try one and see if it works.

Test shot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A3F3E1D-D834-431C-96BE-43C61C740BA9.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	187407

Yes, it does work but it also posted it sideways. Could be worse.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-18-2020 at 3:32pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Still no luck. I’m at the point where I just tell you all there will be no photos.

My wife and I spent an hour trying both on IPhone 5 and my Huawei tablet We got to the tree and tried uploading photos. The photo appeared and asked to choose. No idea how to choose.

I just messaged you. If you can email them to me then I can post for you.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: