Thread: Ricky Skaggs arm injury ?

Default Ricky Skaggs arm injury ?

I heard last night that Ricky Skaggs has injured his arm and might miss some shows. Since I'm seeing him on November 9th, I tried to do some research but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

2. The following members say thank you to TonyT for this post:

Default Re: Ricky Skaggs arm injury ?

hey Tony, we just saw Phoebe Hunt and the Gatherers Saturday evening in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Great show... and I was looking forward to seeing, meeting and listening to Dominick Leslie. We were talking to Phoebe and she said that he had gotten asked by Ricky Skaggs to play mandolin with him due to this injury. Ricky was still performing, that is singing and at least for some shows Dominick is sitting in on mandolin. L

4. The following members say thank you to Larry Mossman for this post:

Blog Entries

I just seen him and his band play last month and he indeed was in a sling, He said he tore a bicep muscle. He didn't play but sang and well his band played fantastic as always- top notch!

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

We saw him at Festy on Oct. 8th. He was not in a sling but was not picking. He said it would be 4-6 weeks until he would be picking again.

8. The following members say thank you to Southern Man for this post:

Thanks everyone. I'm sure he will still be great!

He's performing in Ottawa tonight. I've been waiting to hear him interviewed on the radio, but I think he must have been on at the beginning of the show when I was out for a walk. The interview may be online tomorrow. If I learn anything useful, I'll pass it on.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

i'm concerned there could be a shoulder injury to go along with the biceps. It's such a complex joint and severity and location of tears and other issues can make for a long rehab. i hope he gets a really good upper extremity surgeon who is up to speed on the new techniques and has better judgement than the average bear.

12. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

If one of the the biceps tendons detached from the bone, it needs to be anchored. That's often part of a rotator cuff repair and the recovery is long and painful.I speak from personal experience,having had my right cuff repaired.If his docs told him 4-6 weeks, that's probably not the case. A rotator cuff repair takes longer to fully heal with 4-6 weeks in a sling, and about a year to get as good as it's going to get.
    I was able to do some picking after a couple of weeks in the sling, picking only from the wrist, no forearm. It kept me from going crazy,but it wouldn't be enough for a performing musician.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

14. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Dominic Leslie steps into the rare role of mandolin player for Ricky Skaggs. Not many can say that! And he makes his Ryman debut with KY Thunder. (photo by Owen Leslie)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dom at Ryman.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	171952
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Was it the left or right arm and how did he do the deed? i wonder if one would be worse than the other to live with if there were to be some loss of range of motion. It's interesting to hear folks talk who have had cuff tears and different rehabs and degrees of loss of range of motion (or even no success at all); the assumption being that the injury, repairs and rehabs are alike since they are called by the same name. Disclaimer: no info on shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    He's performing in Ottawa tonight. I've been waiting to hear him interviewed on the radio, but I think he must have been on at the beginning of the show when I was out for a walk. The interview may be online tomorrow. If I learn anything useful, I'll pass it on.
    CBC Radio has put the interview online, but unfortunately when you click on the link, the wrong program comes in. I've emailed the CBC about this, but it's a huge corporation, so I'd expect slow results if any. If they do sort this out, I'll send the link. What I did find out was that Ricky wasn't performing yesterday but tonight, on the same day marijuana became legal -- I don't think the timing was planned.
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

If you want to hear from the man himself, here's the connection to the Oct. 16/18 interview. I'm rushing out to an appointment, and haven't ben able to listen to it myself.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/all-...gment/15615548

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I tore my right biceps tendon at the elbow joint insertion 8 years ago...almost a complete tear, the orthopod said that the MRI showed that it was hanging by a thread. He didn't want me doing anything for about 6 weeks; I was picking in a few days; albeit carefully...An ER doc who used to play mando at a jam I was going to told me I probably shouldn't be playing, but he said I get it!...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

21. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Blog Entries

If you want to hear from the man himself, here's the connection to the Oct. 16/18 interview. I'm rushing out to an appointment, and haven't ben able to listen to it myself.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/all-...gment/15615548
    This is a very nice interview and Ricky does describe exactly what is happening. It's a great listen for lots of reasons.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

First, apologies to CBC. They came through and solved the problem quickly at the local level. All in A Day is a local, i.e., eastern Ontario show from 3:00-6:00 pm, covering news, politics, community issues, entertainment, and anything else of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    This is a very nice interview and Ricky does describe exactly what is happening. It's a great listen for lots of reasons.
    Yes, it was a good interview. Alan Neal, the show's host is a good interviewer, and Ricky seemed both relaxed and insightful.

Summary re: Injury and Tour

Ricky Skaggs said that he's touring but won't play mandolin on this tour as he's recovering from surgery on Aug. 28 for a torn bicep tendon. He's in physiotherapy, and his doctor says he "can play a little around the house." As mossmanl said above, Dominick Leslie is substituting for Ricky on mandolin. Here's hoping that the injury is soon forgotten.

Nice interview. Did anyone catch the show in Ottawa last night?
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Out'a my price range, I'm afraid. I'm sure they gave a fine show for those who can pay over $85 a person for an evening's entertainment (and that's the cheap seats). I'm sure concert-goers got their money's worth. And there are comfy seats in that theatre, which is more than I can say for the chairs at the $20 show I went to on Sunday night.

Out'a my price range, I'm afraid. I'm sure they gave a fine show for those who can pay over $85 a person for an evening's entertainment (and that's the cheap seats). I'm sure concert-goers got their money's worth.
    You would think Ricky would discount the ticket prices, due to his lack of playing, wouldn't you? Just kidding, Ricky -- love your music, man! Get better soon.......

Flashback to Tom Petty's constant protests over ticket prices and CD prices.........RIP, TP!

over $85 a person for an evening's entertainment (and that's the cheap seats).
    High ticket prices are a real issue these days, and I think about it all the time, weighing what shows to spring for. I first thought of 'missed opportunities' in that way when I passed on Ella Fitzgerald in the 1980s, and I never did get to see her play. Since those days, musicians (except for the pop and country stars at the top) have had to adjust to a world without recording revenue, and so I don't see ticket prices falling any time soon. But I should have done without dinner to see Ella.

As for the show that started this thread, it makes me think of Bill Monroe - injured in the 1950s? - bringing in Joe Stuart on mandolin. Maybe the only BG Boy to hold the lead mandolin spot in all those years? I'd have liked to see that show. And Dom Leslie will go on to a long career as a picker, I hope, and I'm sure he'll remember these shows. In fact, I'll ask him next time we cross paths!
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Just saw them in Moncton this past Sunday and it was terrific. Someone in the crowd requested a song, and Ricky responded "I don't want to put Dom on the spot". Dude in the crowd yelled back "I think he can handle it!". It was a great show although sure, I'm disappointed I didn't get to see RS play.
    By the way his voice was in top form and he looks great!

29. The following members say thank you to Chris Browne for this post:

I saw him at Watermelon Park a few weeks ago and he was in a sling.

I was bummed at first, but he had Andy Leftwich on mandolin and, holy smokes, that dude can pick. The band is great, I wouldn't sweat it, the show will still be dynamite.

Ranald - Thanks for that outstanding link to the interview. RS is such a gracious gift to us.

The biceps tear fits with the history of previous rotator cuff tear history. i'm sorry about this but was glad to know he had it fixed. i pray the surgery/rehab will be successful and was also concerned he would have put off the procedure and risk muscle contracture. That still leaves me with the question of which arm? If forced to guess, i would say right, as that side might work the biceps more than the left.

32. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Ranald 

He must be somewhat back in commission because he played Monroe's Loar at his CMHOF induction ceremony last night.